Join Early Retirement Today

Fat, sick & nearly dead
Old 04-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fat, sick & nearly dead

Saw a documentary last week called Fat,Sick and nearly dead, well that describes me to a tee, the guy accomplished some amazing results by going all juicing and totally vegetarian, after a while he was down 100lbs off his diabetic medication and was actually jogging,what an amazing transformation. i'm very interested, any one else heard of this weight loss system?
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jack Lalanne was the original juicer maniac, AFAIK, and he looked great until 92, when he passed. I bet his recipes/program are still floating around the internet.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

My wife got her Vitamix blender, a juicer and went on a 10 day 'clense' after seeing the movie. She lost weight and feels better. She is integrating juicer/blender foods into our diet (whether I like it or not) and is still slowly losing weight and feeling (and looking) good.

For those who need an extreme story for inspiration F,S & ND is a good one.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #4

I think you need vitavegavitimin - spoon your way to health!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #5

I saw that Documentary, along with a bunch of other, related ones. The Australian, if I remember correctly, who did the Documentary was Joe Cross, who - for whatever legal reasons now doesn't recommend only juicing on his website. The M.D. who helped him is Joel Fuhrman and he wrote "Eat To Live." I followed the diet pretty closely and in 6 months saw my toal chol drop from 220 to 156 without any meds. It's the concept, for those who are willing to follow it, that by eating mostly vegetarian and healthy, you can rid yourself of many meds, diseases and have a better quality of life. YMMV
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
i'm very interested, any one else heard of this weight loss system?
I've heard of lots of systems, and tried many. What I've come away with is that as far as weight loss and general health go, there is no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" diet. Everyone's genetics (ethnic, metabolism, body type, absorption & assimilation) are different, and as unique as fingerprints and snowflakes. There are similarities, and that's where the diet folks try to make their generalizations into universals.

The problem is, it can (doesn't always, but everyone's different, right?) take a long time while (and some effort) to find the right diet for you (the collective "you"). E.g. I have a huge problem metabolizing carbohydrates, and not just the bad empty ones. I have to avoid starches of all kinds. I also have to avoid nightshades and (starting in the past decade) sugar* -- including sugar alcohols (which are found in many diet/diabetic candies). I do very well with proteins, and fats aren't a problem for me. OTOH, DW thrives on carbs -- whole grain breads, cereals, taters, rice, pasta... Those things turn into poundage on me in a flash. She has to avoid too much protein & fat or she puts on the pounds.

*I am not diabetic (or pre-diabetic or glucose intolerant, etc. etc. Been through the gaunlet with all the doctors & tests and they're still stumped, "Well, medicine doesn't know everything." No kidding? ) All tests are negative, but my body still behaves as if I were diabetic, so I listen to my body and eat like one, and do ok.

Some folks reading this may be similar, or completely different, than either of us. That's just the way we all are.

There may be clues for some folks in their ethnic makeup (a starting point if nothing else). If your ancestors all came from a particular part of the world, there's a good chance you may do well on the traditional diet of that region/group (but no guarantees). If you're a mongrel like me, things get a bit more challenging.

I don't claim to have any answers other than how I began -- there is no such thing as a "one-size-fits-all" diet. Usually no harm in trying different diets, but it's probably a good get your doctor on board, and monitor yourself as well to make sure you're not depriving your body of something essential that it needs for you to stay healthy. If it works for you -great! If not, there's lots more things to try.

Best wishes
Old 04-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I think you need vitavegavitimin - spoon your way to health!

Friggin hilarious. Thanks for sharing. I looove Lucy. Honest, simple humour. Beautiful, just like Lucy
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
There may be clues for some folks in their ethnic makeup (a starting point if nothing else). If your ancestors all came from a particular part of the world, there's a good chance you may do well on the traditional diet of that region/group (but no guarantees).
Best wishes
I think is a good point. Although my immediate family in America lived inland, my ethnic ancestors pretty much all lived within 50 miles or so of salt water, in either Ireland, Scotland, England or North Germany. When I have been where I could fish cheaply, I pretty much lived on fish, shellfish, seaweed, etc. It just feels right to me, and produces good health. My GF's ancestors were continental people OTOH, and she would be very unhappy without plenty red meat.

Ha
Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #9

I posted this in another thread, but I highly recommend people find Michael Mosley's 3-part series on PBS:

Michael Mosley | PBS

I'm doing the "fast diet" thing, and was very intrigued by his exercise theory.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote