Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This may be a solution to a mystery. Every time I go fishing in the kayak, I'm really beat after I get back. That seems to be true even if I don't paddle very far. I've always thought it has to do with "being out on the water."

Pit stops are very inconvenient when kayaking, so I don't drink much. Maybe that's it. Will test.

>Color of the urine
Be aware that unless you're peeing in a cup, that depends, in part, on the volume of your toilet bowl.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
>Color of the urine
Be aware that unless you're peeing in a cup, that depends, in part, on the volume of your toilet bowl.
True, one must take that into consideration. I'm kind of an expert on this. I evaluate the water volume in the toilet before I make my conclusion.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #23
gone traveling

By not drinking enough water, you can damage your kidney function, so always take a swig of water now and then even if you aren't thirsty. I make a conscious effort to drink 2-3 quart tumblers of ice water a day along with a beer or two, or milk/juice, and 1 soda pop for lunch (I know that doesn't count).

Try to aim (bad pun), for your pee not to stink, and have just a faint hint of yellowness to it, and you should be going several times a day with good volume.

With all of my health ailments, one of them was having multiple radiation treatments to my chest/neck area, which killed most of my salivary glands, and my thyroid, so I keep a water close by at all times....but still very active.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #24

Definitely want to stay hydrated but it is possible to go too far the other way. Over-hydration can be a serious problem for marathon runners and can even lead to death. There was a study done a few years ago on the cause of deaths during marathons, during the period reviewed they found that not one marathoner had died from dehydration but several had died from over-hydration. It seemed to affect the slower marathon runners more, their fear of dehydration actually led them to drink too much water before and during the race.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Goldilocks Water.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I read this article last month about the best drink for hydration: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/healt...ess/index.html
The first thing the guide in India got me when there was no Gatorade or electrolyte powder to be found was orange juice and it helped considerably.

Just last month I read a local paper in Molokai and one of their young men, who played football at the U. of Utah, collapsed and died after a practice. He was only 22. It wasn't dehydration- it was hyponatremia (not enough salt). Definitely shows that it's not just a matter of drinking more water.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Al, your doctor is probably right that some of that tiredness is due to the aging process.

That said, my personal experience has been that I need to drink a LOT of water to feel right. I have a 64 oz container of water right here by my recliner and I drink the whole thing every day, plus another 16 oz of water at lunch when we eat out, plus a big travel mug of coffee in the morning.

If I haven't been drinking enough, I can't go to sleep! So I get up, drink 16 ounces of water or more, then hit the bathroom and go to bed again. After that I can fall asleep more easily.

Perhaps New Orleans' legendary hot weather explains why I need all this water? I dunno. I am sure that I get plenty of salts as well, because my foods are quite salty and I don't restrict salt.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If I haven't been drinking enough, I can't go to sleep! So I get up, drink 16 ounces of water or more, then hit the bathroom and go to bed again. After that I can fall asleep more easily.
Although I don't drink as much water as you do, I have noticed this pattern too. I am coming to suspect that I have not been drinking enough and am going to start work on drinking more.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
felt exhausted for a couple days.
Interesting!
Old 12-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
True, one must take that into consideration. I'm kind of an expert on this. I evaluate the water volume in the toilet before I make my conclusion.
And it's good to flush 10-15 times first. [emoji6]
Old 12-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #31

Quote:
And it's good to flush 10-15 times first. [emoji6]
I see what you did there!
Old 12-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This may be a solution to a mystery. Every time I go fishing in the kayak, I'm really beat after I get back. That seems to be true even if I don't paddle very far. I've always thought it has to do with "being out on the water."

Pit stops are very inconvenient when kayaking, so I don't drink much. Maybe that's it. Will test.
I tested this, and I don't think dehydration during fishing is the cause of post-fishing fatigue.

Yesterday I went fishing in the kayak for three hours, but I drank plenty of water. I made a point of drinking a lot as soon as I got back, too.

But I was still extra tired and I am this morning, too.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I tested this, and I don't think dehydration during fishing is the cause of post-fishing fatigue.

Yesterday I went fishing in the kayak for three hours, but I drank plenty of water. I made a point of drinking a lot as soon as I got back, too.

At the risk of offending your tender sensibilities, is it possible your fatigue could be due to your advanced age?

I know mine is!
Old 12-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

The same thing happens to me and has been for a few years. Yesterday it was pretty bad. The day before I had tons of energy.

Not sure if age is the reason because this has been happening for several years .

I think I suffer from sleep problems. Sometimes if I take a power nap I get back to almost full throttle but not yesterday.
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:21 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I don't know if this would apply to a kayak.... maybe not? but anyway, something I noticed when working on oceanographic vessels is that just being at sea can be exercise because you subconsciously use your muscles to stay oriented correctly. The ship rocks, but once you get your "sea legs" you compensate for the rocking, and that is a form of exercise. When I was at sea, I would actually lose weight despite eating more food, due to this effect. This might be what is making you feel so tired.

Also, the same effect really helps arthritis because one's joints are always moving when compensating for the movement of the ship.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
At the risk of offending your tender sensibilities, is it possible your fatigue could be due to your advanced age?
Absolutely possible or even probable. But I look at these candidates in their seventies running all over the place and can't imagine doing that. Everyone is different, of course.

Quote:
I don't know if this would apply to a kayak.... maybe not? but anyway, something I noticed when working on oceanographic vessels is that just being at sea can be exercise because you subconsciously use your muscles to stay oriented correctly. The ship rocks, but once you get your "sea legs" you compensate for the rocking, and that is a form of exercise. When I was at sea, I would actually lose weight despite eating more food, due to this effect. This might be what is making you feel so tired.

Also, the same effect really helps arthritis because one's joints are always moving when compensating for the movement of the ship.
I like that idea, but it's usually pretty calm on the lake when I'm fishing. There definitely is something about being out on the water.

You could start a new business: all-you-can-eat weight loss arthritis-cure cruises.

My other theory is that making hundreds of casts is like throwing a baseball over an over. I should go out and just sit in the kayak for a few hours and see if that makes me tired.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You could start a new business: all-you-can-eat weight loss arthritis-cure cruises.
Sounds good to me! I remember back in the day, when the cook would bake fresh cherry pies at 3 AM as a snack for those of us who were working at that time. Plus, he was from south Louisiana so often we had Louisiana foods at meals, which were high calorie but delicious. I was so concerned about gaining weight and then found I lost 15 pounds on that cruise.
Quote:
My other theory is that making hundreds of casts is like throwing a baseball over an over. I should go out and just sit in the kayak for a few hours and see if that makes me tired.
That might be it! It's more exercise than reading on the internet.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

^ What she said.
I spent over a year on a 202 foot long 35 foot wide converted schooner (RV Vema) circumnavigating the the globe +north Atlantic and down to near antarctica, on the scientific crew. We used to say this damn thing rolls in dry dock! A 24/7 wotkout in keeping upright. In medium seas still had to fold mattress in half in berth and sleep vedged between it and the bulkked to keep from falling out ohs bunk.
Side note, one learns to put napkin on table spill cofee on it to keep mug from traveling sideways.

+++ when kayaking even on overcast days a lot solar radiation is getting through and getting reflected off the water, plus even a light breeze has evaporative qualities on animate objects.
BTW while kayaking I always have a jug of water to sip on.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Well, last night I was very tired despite drinking plenty of water.

I've seen that the tired days are often a day after exercise. I was sore from paddling (hadn't been out for a few months), so maybe I got more exercise than I thought.

So, my fatigue-caused-by-dehydration hypothesis doesn't hold water.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Here's video from that fishing trip showing an otter: