Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Waking up alive
My dad always said a good day was one when the grass was still growing towards you. He's gone now, but he always had a saying for just about anything. I miss him and his humor.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Favorite biomarker of your health?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Favorite biomarker of your health?

Quote:
Waking up alive
That's a good one, and I completely agree! I am so thankful for every new day.

That said, part of my morning routine before coffee is to determine my weight, blood glucose, blood pressure, and heart rate.

I can usually tell from how I feel in general plus these four measurements if anything is "off".

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I'm old school. The only "number" I track is weight.
+1. I lost 35 pounds (~18% of body weight) about 6 years ago and I now track weight daily. If it starts to creep up more than two pounds I cut out the chocolate and any other sweets I have let slip in. I also lift weights and cycle but I don't track any numbers.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

BMI, BP, and my pace on a mile jog. We were both obese for years. In 2015 we both started dieting and walking. Together we are down a combined 110 pounds and are regularly at the gym.

The first time I walked out to the main road and back was a real treat. I had tachycardia when we started walking that hilly mile. We took several breaks and I really didn't think I'd make it back home. A 48 minute mile. Now I jog a 12 minute mile pace for 20 minutes as my warmup to lifting.

Resting heart rate is useless to me. I experience both tachycardia and bradycardia from time to time. I've seen it in the 40s in the morning and then run 110+ all night.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some people are mentioning cholesterol, so I want to add that most cholesterol labs are fairly useless as indicators of health or cardiovascular risk. There was some very bad science 30 years ago, which was picked up and reinforced by politicians and then the food industry, which resulted in decades of bad advice about nutrition, which many believe is largely responsible for the epidemic in obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc., over the same period of time.

There are a lot of myths about cholesterol. I've found it very helpful to dig into the issue and get educated myself. It's pretty startling, when you realize how much bad information there is out there. There are plenty of Youtube vids and articles that can be very illuminating.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
High BMI? Don't panic!
Old 12-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

High BMI? Don't panic!

BMI's over 30 are further categorized as 1,2,3 based on risk.

The simplicity of setting standards, has caused some to become discouraged because of the seeming impossibility of losing many pounds to become "healthy". Looking at a year of dieting to lose 25 or 30 pounds... especially for older persons, can cause one to throw up his/her hands and say "it's too late!"

Depending on how deep one goes into understanding BMI, there are cases where the term... "Obese", isn't a be-all. In particular, dense muscle tissue can have an effect.

Another part comes from the "holier than thou" attitude of those who have a low BMI, or even doctors who can lay a guilt complex on their patients.

(I would add that age can have an effect on the ability to lose large amounts of weight quickly)

This in no way is meant to denigrate or deny the benefits of a healthy weight, but to put the rating system into context. As it is, two thirds of U.S. citizens are classified as obese using the current standards.

This article may help understand a little bit more behind the numbers.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffre.../#41e55d4f1c38

Excerpt:
Quote:
The authors used standard categories of BMI: 18.5-<25 (normal weight), 25-<30 (overweight), and >=30 (obese). The last category was further subdivided into 30-<35 (class 1), 35-<40 (class 2), and >=40 (class 3).

What they found is that, compared to normal weight individuals, those in the overweight category had a lower risk of dying of any cause, and those in the obese category had an elevated risk. However, more than half of those in the obese category were in class 1, and these individuals had no increased risk of dying compared to normal weight individuals. Class 2 and 3 individuals did have a significantly elevated risk of death.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #27

Cedars-Sinai has developed a new simpler and more accurate method to determine body fat - the RFM (relative fat index) -

Quote:
While the BMI is commonly accepted, many medical experts in the field of obesity consider it to be inaccurate because it cannot distinguish among bone mass, muscle mass and excess fat. BMI also does not account for the influence of gender—women generally have more body fat than men
The new formula developed at Cedars-Sinai is called the relative fat mass index, or RFM, and it uses only height and waist circumference measurements.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroo...e-of-body-fat/
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Some people are mentioning cholesterol, so I want to add that most cholesterol labs are fairly useless as indicators of health or cardiovascular risk. There was some very bad science 30 years ago, which was picked up and reinforced by politicians and then the food industry, which resulted in decades of bad advice about nutrition, which many believe is largely responsible for the epidemic in obesity, diabetes, heart disease, etc., over the same period of time.

There are a lot of myths about cholesterol. I've found it very helpful to dig into the issue and get educated myself. It's pretty startling, when you realize how much bad information there is out there. There are plenty of Youtube vids and articles that can be very illuminating.

+1. Big Pharma continues to promote the false notion that "high" cholesterol (over 200) is a warning sign for heart disease/heart attack, when there is zero evidence for that. They promote it, because statins are the biggest money-making drug of all time, so it is in their interest to put as many people on statins as possible.

If you want to look at blood lipids for a better predictor of heart disease risk, look at triglyceride/HDL ratio. That is a fairly good predictor of heart disease risk, as confirmed by many studies. But Big Pharma does not have any good drugs to reduce triglycerides (you can reduce them by lowering your carb. consumption), so you won't hear much about the trig./HDL ratio from them (or from most doctors), unfortunately.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664115/
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
If you want to look at blood lipids for a better predictor of heart disease risk, look at triglyceride/HDL ratio. That is a fairly good predictor of heart disease risk, as confirmed by many studies.
Yes, and it's easy to check.
Just divide your triglycerides by your HDL.
If it's under 3 you're probably in good shape by this measure.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #30

My left pinkie when I wake in the morning. It's a sensitive indicator of inflammation. I think it's better than hsCRP. Sometimes there's no sensation, so yesterday's food, activities, mental state gets a check mark. Or if it hurts a bit, I think about what's different.

But the process got whacked: yesterday during yard work, I scraped a knuckle on, you guessed it, my left pinkie. Now I need for that to heal before the subtle indicator will be useful again.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #31

I started exercising a lot more regularly at the beginning of this year, and I was very pleased to note recently that my resting HR and diastolic pressure both dropped by 10 since last year, to 62 & 65. They were OK for someone who was sedentary, but now they're at least a bit on the healthy side of average, which is fine because that's exactly how I would describe me.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:03 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Resting heart rate, weight, and blood work numbers. Rhr was in low 30’s and weight in my 160’s a couple of years ago when I was running a lot. But I didn’t feel good. Dr convinced me to limit running and gain weight. So I did and I feel a lot better. Rhr is now in mid 50’s and weight in upper 180’s. I need to get the weight down to my normal weight of 180-185, but my last blood work checkup was my best.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I keep my eye on several indicators:

eGFR (53) - kidney function is low due to hypothyroidism and mercury, aiming for >60
25OH-D3 (68) - vitamin D probably helps with heart disease, cancer, and more
triglyceride/HDL ratio (0.75) - indicates heart attack risk (<3 is good)
ferritin (45) - low due to hypothyroidism, aiming for >50
blood pressure (120/80) - reflects kidney and thyroid function
fasting glucose (89) - would like this to be lower

I also track my weight, waistline, pulse (during exercise), and soreness in my feet (gout). If any one gets out of line, I make small changes to fix it. No single biomarker gives me the whole picture. None gives me a free pass, although I don't worry much about heart disease or cancer.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

BTW - Low resting heart rate may be an indicator of hypothyroidism. Over-exercising may lower thyroid function.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by msieweke View Post
triglyceride/HDL ratio (0.75) - indicates heart attack risk (<3 is good)
ferritin (45) - low due to hypothyroidism, aiming for >50

Your trig./HDL ratio is outstanding. I have a friend (who works out more than I do, and eats an even lower carb diet than I do) who has managed to lower his to 0.56, but 0.75 is very, very good. Mine is a bit higher than that, but still pretty good.

Just FYI, when I was having a bunch of health issues a couple years ago, I finally traced the problem to my ferritin being way too high. Mine was near 400, and it should be around 100 or less. Once I donated blood and got it down under 150 or so, the troubling symptoms I was having all went away. My ferritin is now around 80 or so, and I'm trying to keep it in that area, which I can do if I donate blood at least once or twice yearly.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Some doctors say you can't go too low with ferritin. Other doctors say women may experience hair loss if it's lower than 70. I'm not female, but I think 70 is a good target.

Between May, 2011, and Dec, 2013, mine went from 87 to 9. It may have bottomed earlier, but that's when the doc tested me. Iron is needed to convert thyroid hormone from T4 to T3 (not sure the exact mechanism). T3 is needed to absorb iron. It's a downward spiral. I can say with some certainty that I didn't feel better until ferritin rose above 40.

Edit: I may have that wrong. Iron may be needed to produce T4. The effect is the same.
Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
If you want to look at blood lipids for a better predictor of heart disease risk, look at triglyceride/HDL ratio. That is a fairly good predictor of heart disease risk, as confirmed by many studies. But Big Pharma does not have any good drugs to reduce triglycerides (you can reduce them by lowering your carb. consumption), so you won't hear much about the trig./HDL ratio from them (or from most doctors), unfortunately.
Yes, and as an individual anecdote, I'll just say that I my triglyceride level got cut in half when I went low carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yes, and it's easy to check.
Just divide your triglycerides by your HDL.
If it's under 3 you're probably in good shape by this measure.
Ah, thanks for the formula. I didn't know. My ratio is a little under 2, so that's good. It was over twice that before I went on a low-carb diet, though. It troubles me, to think about all the damage I did to myself, eating the SAD. Oh well, can't change the past, only the future...

Quote:

Excerpt:

"What they found is that, compared to normal weight individuals, those in the overweight category had a lower risk of dying of any cause, and those in the obese category had an elevated risk. However, more than half of those in the obese category were in class 1, and these individuals had no increased risk of dying compared to normal weight individuals. Class 2 and 3 individuals did have a significantly elevated risk of death.
Yeah, that's an interesting result that has apparently been widely replicated. I've read about it elsewhere. Apparently obesity researchers don't like to hear it, but it keeps getting demonstrated.

BMI is another one of those indicators that is not all it's cracked up to be. I think they use it because it's so easy to measure/calculate, not because it's particularly informative.

Even so, if I have to make an "eyeball" assessment of someone's health, I'll look at their belly fat. I think that's a pretty good correlate of insulin resistance, which seems to underlie a lot of health problems.

I'm not judging. Six months ago, I probably looked like I was pregnant. It was not good.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My wife is a Medical Technologist, and she managed laboratories in a number of major hospitals. A full blood chemistry panel is where doctors first look to analyze a patient's physical well being. If there are problems in one area, they may do other more specialized testing.

When I started dating her in 1981, I was young and fancy free. She brought home her vacutube and drew blood from me for a chem analysis. The blood workup showed indications that I was taking in entirely too much alcohol. (I no longer drink.)

At the same time, I was pulling a credit bureau report on her to make sure she was fiscally healthy and in decent financial condition. LOL!

What really gets us is adults thinking they're invincible in the health department. So many adults fail to get periodic physicals that include blood tests, chest X-rays and PAP smears (in ladies).

My wife had a bad PAP smear, and she was referred to a GYN Oncologist in a major medical center. He did surgery and found her to have an extremely fast growing uterine cancer. Had she been skipping PAP smears or not having physicals, she would have been terminal in six months. She's 12 years cancer free right now.

Our favorite niece was married to a Belgian and living outside of London. She had not been taking a proactive stance on her healthcare and going to the doctor. When they found out she had uterine cancer, they first tried radiation and chemo. Treatments were not aggressive enough and the surgery was too late. We buried her a year later in Memphis.

We had one friend recently die of lung cancer. When he failed to go to the doctor about his hacking cough or get a periodic physical, the cancer was stage IV when discovered. Unfortunately, this is the norm rather than a specialized case.

So you can see how important that aging people get yearly physicals and also need to go to quality doctors.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Quote:
What they found is that, compared to normal weight individuals, those in the overweight category had a lower risk of dying of any cause, and those in the obese category had an elevated risk.
Yeah, that's an interesting result that has apparently been widely replicated. I've read about it elsewhere. Apparently obesity researchers don't like to hear it, but it keeps getting demonstrated.

BMI is another one of those indicators that is not all it's cracked up to be. I think they use it because it's so easy to measure/calculate, not because it's particularly informative.

Even so, if I have to make an "eyeball" assessment of someone's health, I'll look at their belly fat. I think that's a pretty good correlate of insulin resistance, which seems to underlie a lot of health problems.

I'm not judging. Six months ago, I probably looked like I was pregnant. It was not good.
There's a basic problem here...As a person starts getting less healthy (not sick yet, just less healthy), they begin to drop some pounds. Then they get sick and they lose even more. So by the time they discover some culprit that's going to end-up killing them, they're not as fat as they used to be, and the study rates them as a non-overweight person who died of "X". I recall several of these studies suffered horribly from this problem, but the popular press got lots of clicks from overweight people that wanted to believe that being fat was healthy.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

It is interesting that a pap smear intended to find cervical cancer found uterine cancer. I looked it up and it can happen so wow your wife was lucky. They don't recommend pap smears anymore after age 65. I think it is because cervical cancer is rare in women older than that.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, heart rate, rhr