Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

fee-free HSA with low cost investment optiond
Old 07-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

fee-free HSA with low cost investment optiond

Hello,

Forgive me if this has been covered before, my search did not come up with anything usable.

Any recommendations for a good HSA admin that charges no fees and includes options for ETF or other low cost investments?

Thank you!
escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Hello,

Forgive me if this has been covered before, my search did not come up with anything usable.

Any recommendations for a good HSA admin that charges no fees and includes options for ETF or other low cost investments?

Thank you!
HSA Bank offers online banking and brokerage through TD Ameritrade (now part of Schwab). There is a monthly $2.50 fee if you are below a minimum balance of $3000. There is also a small monthly fee if you want to do investing with your HSA cash. Here's the link:
https://www.hsabank.com/hsabank/homepage
Old 07-28-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity. No fees and full access to Fidelity's funds and ETFs. Maybe others too, I don't know.
https://www.fidelity.com/go/hsa/why-hsa
I think a number of people (myself included) moved their HSA here and I don't recall hearing anyone moving back out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved mine to Fidelity. https://www.fidelity.com/go/hsa/why-hsa. Only been a few months, but happy so far.

My previous provider (Further for the cash, Schwab for the investments) was charging me $3 a month plus $18 a year.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:47 AM   #5

I am planning to move mine from Optum to Fido, for the reasons cited above.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity HSA. No fees. Very low cost investment options.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #7

I use Fidelity HSA, and concur with the above comments regarding Fidelity. No fees and inexpensive investment choices.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #8

Now that I am FIREd I plan to move mine to Fidelity or Vanguard to avoid the fees I'll face if I stay with Payflex. I'm on the fence as to which as I am all Vanguard now and a happy customer. I was thinking of trying out Fidelity with the HSA and possibly opening a traditional IRA with them if I accidentally get any W-2 income while I'm enjoying my new life.
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Now that I am FIREd I plan to move mine to Fidelity or Vanguard to avoid the fees I'll face if I stay with Payflex. I'm on the fence as to which as I am all Vanguard now and a happy customer. I was thinking of trying out Fidelity with the HSA and possibly opening a traditional IRA with them if I accidentally get any W-2 income while I'm enjoying my new life.
Last I checked Vanguard does not directly offer HSAs. One reason why I went with Fidelity despite mostly being at Vanguard.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryD View Post
Last I checked Vanguard does not directly offer HSAs. One reason why I went with Fidelity despite mostly being at Vanguard.

I guess not, I could have sworn I saw the option but they send you to heathsavings.com that looks to charge $3/mo. Fidelity it will be (just waiting for my insurance to drop me in mid-August before I move the account).
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:18 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fidelity is the only game in town. There's no reason to consider another.
teej1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Hello,

Thank you!
Fidelity.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #13

I've been using HSA Bank with linked TD Ameritrade account for years but plan to switch to Fidelity soon. As long as I had the HDHP plan, I did not have to pay any of the monthly fees since my health plan covered those. Since turning 65 recently and switching to a different health plan (to go along with medicare), I am now having to pay the small monthly fees. Although I like TDA and have other accounts there, I dislike having HSA Bank as a middleman managing the HSA account.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #14

Another vote for Fidelity
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakedog View Post
...Although I like TDA and have other accounts there, I dislike having HSA Bank as a middleman managing the HSA account.
One of the things I dislike about DW's Optum HSA is that it requires at least $2k to be kept in cash outside the investment account. I assume this is to justify their role as middleman/admin. As soon as she separates from megacorp we'll roll it over to Fidelity where there is no such bogus restriction.

Having Further as the middleman jacked up the timeline and complexity of rolling my account over, too. In retrospect, I should have done it years ago.

Edit: *dislike*
Old 07-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #16

Another vote for Fidelity.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #17

Yet another vote for Fidelity.
Opened mine @ HSA Bank. (Fidelity didn't offer HSA's @ the time)
Stayed about 1.5 years.
Moved to Fidelity.

Not even close.
Fidelity **********
HSA Bank **
Old 07-28-2021, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
Fidelity is the only game in town. There's no reason to consider another.
I wouldn't say they are the only game in town, my Optum HSA account has no fees and offers access to a decent selection investment funds including Vanguard and Schwab. I've been happy with their service.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:41 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I even transferred my HSA to Fido. I had always vowed to never do business with Fidelity since they kicked me out for a low balance money market account (the balance fell below $5000) thirty years ago. I must be getting old since I finally forgave them, sort of.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
I guess not, I could have sworn I saw the option but they send you to heathsavings.com that looks to charge $3/mo. Fidelity it will be (just waiting for my insurance to drop me in mid-August before I move the account).
I’m in the process of transferring mine & DW’s accounts to FIDO, even though mostly, everything else is with Vanguard.
As a bonus, you can add nonFidelity accounts and use FIDO’s tools to test your whole portfolio.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hsa custodian