Join Early Retirement Today

Find out if you can live to 100 here!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Find out if you can live to 100 here!

I saw this on CNN this morning, and thought I would share it with you folks. On the front page of this (scroll down) is the calculator for both US citizens and also for people who are living outside the US, which I found unusual for these things.
Personally, I think this is the best calculator I have done so far for those of us 49 & OVER:

Living To 100 Life Expectancy Calculator

Mine said 89 to 101, but told me to lose weight and I would gain 6 years, exercise more is one year and I could gain another year if there is no iron in my vitamins (interesting); but the biggest surprise--since I only drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day--is that I could gain .25 or 3 months of living longer if I cut out coffee!!! Now, that WAS a surprise.:confused:
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I get to live until age 94 . . . which is (interestingly) within two years of the age three of my four grandparents lived to (the other died in his early 80s of heart disease).

I'll have to increase my projected burn rate. 150 years doesn't sound realistic anymore.
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Says I'll live to be 90 and if I dot my "I"s and cross my "t"s (cut back on red meat, sweets, fast food and take an aspirin every day), I might live to be 98. I sort of thought that 85 would be long enough...hmmm. My nest egg spreadsheet goes to 100 and still has a nice chunk of change left for the kids. Geez, Louise...98...that's older than dirt!
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I could gain .25 or 3 months of living longer if I cut out coffee!!! Now, that WAS a surprise.:confused:
Not even remotely worth it!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #5

...not when you're 97.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

"They" keep going back and forth on the merits of coffee...it's full of bad stuff...maybe not...has antioxidents in it that make up for its shortcomings. Go figure. I have pretty much switched to tea..."they" pretty much all agree that it's beneficial. I have found that Tazo Awake (black tea) is just as effective as coffee in the mornings for me...and there's no acid coffee-mouth when you finish it.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

I could live to be 104 or even longer if I moved near my Mother or maybe it would just seem longer .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Administrator

I came out at 96 - 99, my biggest gainers being stop drinking caffeinated coffee +1 yr, start taking daily calcium supplements, +0.5 and live near family +0.5.

Living near to family is a tough one - children live in Texas, the rest of the family live in England, Scotland and Australia.

I was surprised my actual age was not requested, other than over 49.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I just love how these sort of tests always assume that it's healthy to interact with family members. They don't seem to realize that there are reasons people live 400 or more miles away from relatives.

Why is it healthy to interact with individuals (because they are 'family') when you wouldn't consider hanging around with those folks if they weren't relatives? Am I being coherent here?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can't imaging anything worse....

than living to 100. Luckily the calculator reassures me that I will be off this mortal coil some time before then!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I just love how these sort of tests always assume that it's healthy to interact with family members. They don't seem to realize that there are reasons people live 400 or more miles away from relatives.

Why is it healthy to interact with individuals (because they are 'family') when you wouldn't consider hanging around with those folks if they weren't relatives? Am I being coherent here?
Yes, very. Some people have great families. It never occurs to some of them that others have dysfunctional or otherwise less than great families. They are walking around with blinders on.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

95 for me. Kind of hard to believe considering the number of family members that died with cancer. But a couple of those were grand parents who simply hid their problem to long. Also my brother died at 56 with cancer. But my mother and her sister are 90 and 96, so a mix bag with my family.

The results said I could gain another 6 months if I got married. I thought married people are suppose to live a lot longer than singles. Maybe that is happily married.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

94 here. could be 96 if I use sunscreen, take aspirin every day, take calcium supplements, etc
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I thought married people are suppose to live a lot longer than singles.
Obligatory joke.. it just seems longer!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Orchidflower,

Good Website thanks for the tip !
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #16

Did everyone get 2 numbers? I got 89 then a big arrow pointing to 101, which, I assume, means I could live to 101--just long enough to make my son's life a living hell, I guess--if I worked at it? I thought my point spread was big, and, now that I read your posts, I have no idea WHY my point spread was so big?
Amazingly, seems we all got varied answers as to what would help us live longer. Cool! I thought this website was alot of fun, and glad you guys did, I guess, too.
And, if I lived near family, I wouldn't have to worry about my drinking coffee or losing weight. I'd hang myself, so the problem would be solved...ha!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 AM   #17

Mine was 88/96. My problem was mostly coffee and sweets. I guess I enjoy both of those vices too much to give them up. I feel that I should enjoy some pleasures in life (coffee/sweets) instead of just adding more time - time that may or may not be of good quality. I think 88 is a pretty good life span.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Obligatory joke.. it just seems longer!
When the priest says "until death do you part", you don't realize that it can become a goal
Old 02-13-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
92 -> 97 for me.

Sounds like a curse.

One suggestion was to be more positive about aging.

"The good news is arthritis doesn't kill you.

The bad news is arthritis doesn't kill you."
Old 02-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #20

My results 97 ----> 101 if I lose weight and lower my cholesterol and take aspirin. For some reason, living to 97 doesn't sound very appealing to me. Most people that age are in nursing homes or disabled in some way.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote