Fitness motivation needed

Attachments

• db.jpg
    db.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 4
zumbaclass.jpg
zumba.jpg

Probably more like one of these Zumba exercise classes, Greg. :) Very popular these days.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I started jogging/running at age 46, just under 4 years ago. I had never been a runner...ever, in my life. I started because the doc told me I had to do "something" or risk not being around too long. At first, it hurt. Bad. All the time. This lasted well over a year, because I didn't invest in a very good pair of shoes to start with...I used whatever shoes that looked like runners that I could find at a steep sale price. Don't do that. As soon as I got proper shoes, things changed.

Then, I got to the point that I would get cranky if I did not get my run...much like Dawg's dog wouldn't be pleased without his walks. I'm still that way. So, I've found that I schedule my exercise and there are few things I will allow to get in the way. I can be flexible...move the time around a bit, but I need to do something pretty much daily. I recently added biking, outdoor when possible, indoor in inclement weather.

Currently I am running between 20-25 miles a week, and riding about 25-30. I have an old HS friend who was doing a blog a while back about exercise. His basic them was that we need to "train" our bodies, and not just "exercise". So, I read up about running, still reading about riding, and I've implemented strategies for training. That said, if you are training, you have to be training for "something". I've been wanting to do a half marathon for a while, but I've found a short sprint triathlon not far from my home in the US that may be a better option than the half marathon, for me. Training for the tri will allow me to run, but not run so much that it kills my knees, and ride, balancing out the muscular structures utilized in the aerobic part of my conditioning and training. I also do weights once or twice a week...I know I should do it twice, but it is hard to find the time to get to the gym except on days that I can take a longer lunch. In a couple of months, I will add swimming to my training.

Bikeknit, you said you weren't interested in racing. Well, believe it or not, neither am I. But I am interested in having a goal, and pursuing it. So, I set the triathlon as my goal, and if I do it "and complete it" I will have achieved my goal. I know I will never, ever, take the top spot, the top 3, nor even the top 100 (in this race of 150 or so participants). But, I can imagine the sense of fulfillment if I can complete it.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that some of us (like me) find our motivation in a goal, such as being able to complete the triathlon, or maybe to lose XX pounds, or to get the blood sugar back below 100, or the cholesterol back below 200. If you think you may be one of those people, you might want to consider what "you" could have as "your" goal. Then work hard on achieving it by tackling smaller sub-goals.

Hope this helps you find what you are looking for.

R

So, I guess what I am trying to say is that some of us (like me) find our motivation in a goal, such as being able to complete the triathlon... If you think you may be one of those people, you might want to consider what "you" could have as "your" goal. Then work hard on achieving it by tackling smaller sub-goals.

R

A goal seems like a good idea. My hubby and I have thought we'd like to do a bicycle trip so I'm thinking that being in shape for that might be a good goal. Last year we went cross country skiing in Yellowstone and my endurance wasn't what I'd like. I also had a little trouble pushing up from the ground so I'd like to be in better shape next time I try a trip like that. I do have some weight goals. I use hand and ankle weights and I want to get the amount of weight used in my little routine to a certain point. Watching my in-laws in their last years, I can see that having some strength can make a huge difference.

Bikeknit, you said you weren't interested in racing. Well, believe it or not, neither am I. But I am interested in having a goal, and pursuing it. So, I set the triathlon as my goal, and if I do it "and complete it" I will have achieved my goal. I know I will never, ever, take the top spot, the top 3, nor even the top 100 (in this race of 150 or so participants). But, I can imagine the sense of fulfillment if I can complete it.

R

I am generally self motivated, do use goals, but also find I can be motivated thru others as well. This ones for Rambler:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1301819980936

You don't seem too keen on the dog idea, but I gotta say: "It really works."

Don't get some momma's little lap dog though. However you don't need a big dog or a particularly active dog, but you do need one that can go. Our dog weighs about 25 pounds and is happy to go 4 to 5 miles twice a day. He can even jog beside you for that distance. Of course, he's sleeping the rest of the time.

Another benefit is that you meet the most interesting people when you are out walking the dog. If you get a good looking dog that you can train, it's even better.

Found this website on which a trainer allows himself to go from fit to fat and is going back to fit now.

May 7th 2011:
beginning-964x1024-282x300.jpg

October 29th 2011:
Week-25-pic-282x300.jpg

Every week in the fattening process he allowed people to suggest foods to eat. Some of the stuff he took in was disgusting.

An entire 12 piece bucket of KFC chicken, washed down with Mountain Dew.

The Fuddrucker Challenge was a 1 lb. bacon cheddar burger, large plate of bacon cheese fries, stupid brownie sundae (my wife just suggested anger management classes for me) and large coke.

18 tacos in one sitting.

The Brisket Challenge: 5 lbs of brisket meat, 2 large sides (I chose apple sauce and baked beans – why torture my wife through one of my stomach aches, when I could enhance the experience with beans?), 2 breads (I chose 1 piece of cornbread and 1 garlic bread), 55 min time limit, No bathroom breaks and no crying
He didn't eat that way every day, and tried to make most of his daily intake similar to what the average American eats.
So I wanted to give everyone an example of a day in the life of me, as far as what I’m eating during my fat stage. So here it is:
Breakfast: 1 big bowl of captain crunch cereal, 1 glass of juice, and multi-vitamins
Lunch: 2 peanut butter and nutella sandwiches
Snacks: Banana bread, peanuts, and fiber one bar
Dinner: Chicken alfredo pasta
I know these are food items that many of us eat on a day to day basis and think aren’t “too unhealthy”, but in reality these types of “everyday foods” will contribute to my 50-60 lb weight gain over the next 6 months. A lot of them are high in sugar, saturated fats and sodium.
Anyway, he starts the process back to fit tomorrow. It might be motivational, it certainly will be educational. He has thoroughly documented the fattening process (blog posts, numerous photos, weigh-ins, videos etc.), and will do the same detailed process on the way back to healthy. I certainly wouldn't deliberately abuse myself this way, but I did the same thing without thinking. It did take me a lot longer than 6-months to blow up to Shamu-size, but I wasn't putting as much effort (or is that lack of effort) into it. The results looked similar.

Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit | Personal Trainer | Weight Loss

There is another site that I'm recommending to Son Number Two. He's a college freshman, and an athlete, who is finding that his new away-from-home diet is not working well with his sport goals. It's more educational, in a manifesto kind of way, but gives one some good ideas of things we should be doing - and not doing - to lead a healthier life.

101 Revolutionary Ways to Be Healthy | RevolutionaryAct.com

I haven't read every one yet, but I've like everything I've read so far.
#19 Fake It 'Til You Make It: Don't yet see yourself as a super-healthy person? Experiment with doing a little of what you'd do if you were already supremely healthy and fit. As often as you can, act as if your commitment were unwavering.

#20 Aim For 85%: You don't have to make 100% healthy choices all the time. It's what you do most of the time — day in, day out — that counts. The healthier you get, the easier and more automatic healthy choices will become.

#29 Beware The USDA Food Guidelines: It is a whole lot healthier for Big Ag and Big Business than for humans. Fill two-thirds of your plate with an array of vegetables, add in some other whole foods you enjoy, and don't let the rest of the Pyramid's propaganda confuse you

#24 Eat More Plants: There's a long list of phytonutrients and other good stuff in vegetables, fruits and legumes that you can't get any other way. Put plants at the center of your plate for as many meals and snacks as you can.

Last edited:
I noticed that "Too Much Salad and Grilled Fish" wasn't on his list for gaining weight.... :LOL:

Leonidas said:
Found this website on which a trainer allows himself to go from fit to fat and is going back to fit now.

May 7th 2011:

October 29th 2011:

Every week in the fattening process he allowed people to suggest foods to eat. Some of the stuff he took in was disgusting.

He didn't eat that way every day, and tried to make most of his daily intake similar to what the average American eats.
Anyway, he starts the process back to fit tomorrow. It might be motivational, it certainly will be educational. He has thoroughly documented the fattening process (blog posts, numerous photos, weigh-ins, videos etc.), and will do the same detailed process on the way back to healthy. I certainly wouldn't deliberately abuse myself this way, but I did the same thing without thinking. It did take me a lot longer than 6-months to blow up to Shamu-size, but I wasn't putting as much effort (or is that lack of effort) into it. The results looked similar.

Fit 2 Fat 2 Fit | Personal Trainer | Weight Loss

There is another site that I'm recommending to Son Number Two. He's a college freshman, and an athlete, who is finding that his new away-from-home diet is not working well with his sport goals. It's more educational, in a manifesto kind of way, but gives one some good ideas of things we should be doing - and not doing - to lead a healthier life.

101 Revolutionary Ways to Be Healthy | RevolutionaryAct.com

I haven't read every one yet, but I've like everything I've read so far.

Wow! It sure is easy to destroy a fit body in a short amount of time. In the science world, they say its easier to destroy than create. I wonder if he is going to find the same thing in getting back to his sculpted body.

Wow! It sure is easy to destroy a fit body in a short amount of time. In the science world, they say its easier to destroy than create. I wonder if he is going to find the same thing in getting back to his sculpted body.

The guy looks to be around 30yo, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Let him try that at 57... :LOL:

Actually, for most of us, this is somewhat of a false analogy. Without sustained effort, and a draconian focus on both diet and exercise, one doesn't get to look like the first photo. I'm shooting for adding some muscle mass, and getting rid of that last five lbs. of jellyroll, with any side benefit of improving lipids a welcome (and necessary) bonus. Not planning to be a contestant in the bodybuilding competition...

HFWR said:
The guy looks to be around 30yo, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Let him try that at 57... :LOL:

Actually, for most of us, this is somewhat of a false analogy. Without sustained effort, and a draconian focus on both diet and exercise, one doesn't get to look like the first photo. I'm shooting for adding some muscle mass, and getting rid of that last five lbs. of jellyroll, with any side benefit of improving lipids a welcome (and necessary) bonus. Not planning to be a contestant in the bodybuilding competition...

I was thinking the same thing. I am quite a bit older than him, also. I think the fat acquired wouldnt be as eager to go away, and the skin being stretched wouldnt be quite as accomodating in returning to its original tight tone at my age. I better not try his experiment, as my results wouldnt be as positive I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom