Five things that could add years to your life

6miths

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't recall seeing this posted earlier. An interesting article and study regarding modifiable risk factors and mortality. Basically looks at 5 risk factors: smoking, exercise, alcohol intake, diet and BMI and the reductions in mortality as one adopts more of the healthy factors. Mortality is broken down into 'all cause', 'cancer' and 'cardiovascular'.

The data is from two very large cohorts started in the 80s in the US [(the Nurses’ Health Study (1980–2014; n=78 865) and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986–2014, n=44 354)] It is pretty impressive really. The projected life expectancy at age 50 years was on average 14.0 years (95% CI, 11.8–16.2) longer among female Americans with 5 low-risk factors compared with those with zero low-risk factors; for men, the difference was 12.2 years (95% CI, 10.1–14.2). The first link is the article and the second is the actual study which has some good tables and graphics.

Impact of Healthy Lifestyle Factors on Life Expectancies in the US Population

https://ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.032047

Any chance of you posting a summary? Not much into tables and graphics-just a thumbnail sketch, thanks.

The summary is pretty much as one would expect

Conclusions:
Adopting a healthy lifestyle could substantially reduce premature mortality and prolong life expectancy in US adults.

Well, I must be doing well, and will hopefully live to a ripe old age. I don't (and never have) smoke, I don't do organized exercise, but am very active around my farm, I drink about 3 beers a week, I could probably eat less carbs/sugar, but still feel good, my BMI is in the low 20s at 5'10" 180#. I do however have some pre-existing conditions.

1). Exercise regularly
2). Eat healthy/moderately and keep a healthy weight
3). Avoid stress
4). Don’t smoke
5). Everything else in moderation

...these are a guess by me, based on not reading the article. If pressed to add a sixth, I’d say “get a dog”.

Well, I must be doing well, and will hopefully live to a ripe old age. I don't (and never have) smoke, I don't do organized exercise, but am very active around my farm, I drink about 3 beers a week, I could probably eat less carbs/sugar, but still feel good, my BMI is in the low 20s at 5'10" 180#. I do however have some pre-existing conditions.

I'm with you until we get to 3 beers/wk. I have to say I would have to spend a week in the hospital to go down to three beers.

For those who want to look at the actual study data but aren't used to public health research, the important part is Table 2. Just look at the HR (hazard ratio) number in the "Deaths Resulting From Any Cause" column. A 1.0 is the reference point; a 2.0 has twice the chance of death based on the study data, a 0.5 means half the chance of the referent. As you can imagine, even an additional 5% chance of death (+0.05 HR) is a risk a lot of people would like to avoid if possible, so these numbers are very interesting.

I'm with you until we get to 3 beers/wk. I have to say I would have to spend a week in the hospital to go down to three beers.

Yeah, I'm willing to exercise harder and watch my weight in order to have a few ounces of scotch or a couple of high ABV beers 4-5 nights a week!

I don't recall seeing this posted earlier. An interesting article and study regarding modifiable risk factors and mortality. Basically looks at 5 risk factors: smoking, exercise, alcohol intake, diet and BMI and the reductions in mortality as one adopts more of the healthy factors. Mortality is broken down into 'all cause', 'cancer' and 'cardiovascular'.

The data is from two very large cohorts started in the 80s in the US [(the Nurses’ Health Study (1980–2014; n=78 865) and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study (1986–2014, n=44 354)] It is pretty impressive really. The projected life expectancy at age 50 years was on average 14.0 years (95% CI, 11.8–16.2) longer among female Americans with 5 low-risk factors compared with those with zero low-risk factors; for men, the difference was 12.2 years (95% CI, 10.1–14.2). The first link is the article and the second is the actual study which has some good tables and graphics.

Impact of Healthy Lifestyle Factors on Life Expectancies in the US Population

https://ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.032047

Sorry that was the summary. ;)

Five factors:
Smoking - none is best, quit is second, then ongoing and more is worse,
Exercise - more is better, maxes out at 5h per week brisk walking counts,
Alcohol intake - sweet spot is about a drink a day, not drinking at all is bad!
Diet - uses the AHEI score - what you would expect
BMI - sweet spot is 23-24.9

Get them all and statistically 14 extra years for women and 12 extra years for men.

Most dramatic effect (not surprisingly) is for smoking. Then exercise. BMI probably next but have to be over 30.0 for it to really kick in and really take a hit if over 35.0. Diet next but one doesn't have to eat all that well to score pretty well. Hopefully everyone is working on cutting down on processed foods and sugars. Finally alcohol is the the least and no alcohol is pretty much as bad as a lot statistically - but perhaps not on an individual level. Here is where I have to start joining DW in a glass of wine at dinner!

One could look at the Hazard Ratio in the study but for me Figure 2 is the coolest. I also agree with the comment about stress but that is not captured in the study. The nurses' study was all females, the health professionals' study was all males - mainly dentists and not many doctors. But in both groups generally well educated and not poor or without access to health care. Yes get a dog is probably good advice and from other studies, if you are male - get a spouse (and keep them).

Last edited:
1). Exercise regularly
2). Eat healthy/moderately and keep a healthy weight
3). Avoid stress
4). Don’t smoke
5). Everything else in moderation

...these are a guess by me, based on not reading the article. If pressed to add a sixth, I’d say “get a dog”.

Yep, in addition to this .. The following will Turn the Clock back.

1) Massage - Invest in a massager
2) Sauna - Near Infrared Sauna
3) Collagen Peptide
4) Fasting
5) Meditation

:dance:

My personal 5 that I am following are:

1) Green Tea, Ginseng, Vitamins
2) Diet - intermittent diet, eating less to remain slim
3) Brain activity - piano, reading/writing, baduk
4) Golf, exercise
5) My wife