Join Early Retirement Today

FL BCBS plans
Old 03-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

FL BCBS plans

I am about to enroll in Florida BCBS for April 1 (special enrollment due to a move from TX where the health insurance options are awful).

I have no health conditions (that I know of), rarely use health services, have no prescriptions. I am really looking for catastrophic insurance rather than prepaid health care.

I do not get ACA subsidies.

My best options appear to be (monthly premium / deductible / out-of-pocket max):
  • Blue Select Bronze 1452 . . . . . . . . ($762 /$8150 /$8150)
  • Blue Select Silver 1836 . . . . . . . . .($773 /$5800 /$8150)
  • Blue Select Bronze (HSA) 1735 . . . .($805 /$6000 /$6000)
My instinct is to go with the Bronze HSA.

I assume that if I take an HSA policy for April-Dec (9 months) I will be able to make a 2020 HSA contribution of 75% of HSA+catch-up. Correct? My current 2020 poloicy is not an HSA policy

Thoughts?
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #2

I have 1735, and no complaints. I don't know the catch up HSA rules myself as I've not had to look into them. I have my HSA with Fido.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The catch-up rules allow an additional $1000 per year in contribution. I am searching now for the "partial year" rule.

My HSA (from prior years) was/is at HSAdministrators. Two weeks ago I initiated the transfer to Fido, which may take a month or more due to welll-known heel-dragging at HSA.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Administrator

HSA contributions and catch-up are prorated, so if start date is 4/1 the contribution is 75% of the full year max allowable.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
HSA contributions and catch-up are prorated, so if start date is 4/1 the contribution is 75% of the full year max allowable.
Last-Month Rule
If you become eligible by December 1, you can contribute up to the contribution limit for the calendar year
(in our example, up to the full $3,550 rather than only $591.66). You must remain HSA-eligible through the
“testing period” (through the end of the following calendar year). If you lose eligibility before the end of the
testing period for any reason other than disability or death, any contributions in excess of the pro-rated
amount (up to $2,958.33) are included in your taxable income and subject to an additional 10% penalty...

MB - Your method is one option. Either work.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks, MichaelB and Z3Dreamer.

I also found the rules in a couple of places, so my temptation will be to contribute 75%, wait until I see what plan I will have in 2021, and if it is also HSA eligible, contribute the remaining 25% for 2020 before 4/15/2021.

So now, does anyone have thoughts on the merits of the three plans? Or rather, why should I NOT go with the HSA-eligible plan? I need to move forward in the next day or so with the application.