Folding Exercise Bike Recommendations?

Major Tom

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm in recovery from total knee replacement surgery (currently 5 1/2 weeks out from the operation). A week or so ago, my physical therapist began giving me short sessions on the stationary bike. Although I haven't yet checked with her, it occurred to me that having my own stationary bike could be very useful in helping to develop muscle strength as my recovery progresses. I use a regular bicycle a lot to get around town, but am not yet at the point where I can use it again. Even when I am, I figure it could be useful to have a bike to jump on at home for a bit of gentle exercise.

My studio apartment is small, with not much extra space, though I have identified an area where a small folding bike could fit. A folding model came to mind because -

a) They tend to be smaller when unfolded and
b) It will be easier to stash in a corner if I don't want to use it for a while.

I have seen several threads in the past about exercise equipment, and stationary bikes in particular. However, I have not seen a discussion on folding stationary bikes. Does anyone own one that they can recommend? There seems to be even more potential with the folding models for wobbliness, general instability, and lackluster construction.

Last edited:
Where do you store your regular bike now? If it is in your apartment? Why not get a folding trainer that locks on your regular bike's rear wheel with a quick release. They are very small, stable, quiet, smooth and fluid to use, and your bike is already set up with you optimum riding position.

Cheers!

Years ago I had a Schwinn folding exercise bike and it was good. Lots to choose from these days.

https://homegymbuild.com/folding-exercise-bike/

Yes, lots of choice. Almost too much, but I'm not complaining!

Where do you store your regular bike now? If it is in your apartment? Why not get a folding trainer that locks on your regular bike's rear wheel with a quick release. They are very small, stable, quiet, smooth and fluid to use, and your bike is already set up with you optimum riding position.

That's a great idea. I don't store my bike in my apartment, due to lack of space. I store it in a common area of the building. I haven't yet measured it, but it's looking as if a small folding stationary bike would take up a little less room in my place than my bike and a training stand. I will look into it though.

I had a nice trainer that I used for years. I think I paid about $100 but they are more now for a good but inexpensive model. For what it is worth something as simple as a hook that screws into the wall in the corner about 6' up to hold the front wheel while the back wheel rests against the wall below
61OT0IYH1QL._AC_UL320_.jpg
or 2 hooks in the ceiling spaced the distance of the bike wheels where you can hang the bike upside down works to get the bike off the floor and out of the way. Cost is a couple of dollars and your bike is out of the way and ready to go.
Then there is this to hang the bike on the wall by the top tube.
51o1poU4PKL._AC_UL320_.jpg
or this that leans against the wall with no screws so it can be moved around
71pynFzwn7L._AC_UL320_.jpg

Cheers!

Great storage suggestions Badger. Unfortunately, the majority of my spare wall space is covered in CD and book shelves. I used to have 10,000 CD's, but have managed to reduce that by half. Even so, it still doesn't leave much wall space for bicycles. It's not impossible that I could find enough wall space to store a bike but, when trying to maximize space in my very small studio apartment, I became a little fatigued.

Maybe one day!

My wife had both knees replaced. One before I retired and the other right after. About 9 months apart. She has a stationary folding bike in our family room that takes up very little space. When I get back to the house later today I’ll get the brand and model. It was fairly inexpensive, around $130 I think and easy to assemble.

The other thing she uses for rehab is a low step of the type used for aerobics classes. It’s really wide and maybe an inch and a half high. Helped her master going up and down stairs again.

That would be useful information 1242Vintage - thank you. If you could also let me know if she's had any concerns or difficulties with it, or whether it has worked out well, that would be helpful too.

Not a bike, but even better exercise and takes a very small space when not in use. Like a bike, good low impact knee exercise. We ride bikes all the time, and have a WaterRower as well. They’re kinda expensive but used ones usually sell for 10-20 cents on the dollar. FWIW And best of luck with rehab!

https://www.waterrower.com/

WaterRower-Classic-Upright-Storage.jpg
waterrower-a1-home-7.jpg

Major Tom, before you buy a stationary bike, be sure to check with your surgeon to make sure he or she thinks it is OK. DH's knee replacement surgeon does not want his patients to ride a stationary bike for 6 months, he says he thinks they cause more harm than good. DH's surgeon wants him to walk, walk , walk.

By the way, how are you doing Major Tom?

The stationary folding bike that was recommended by my wife’s physical therapist after her knee replacement is branded as “Xterra”

Pretty basic bike. We paid around $130 but I just googled Xterra stationary bike and Walmart has it for $70.

Easy to assemble and easy for her to get up on the seat and peddle and easy on the wallet.

Not a bike, but even better exercise and takes a very small space when not in use. Like a bike, good low impact knee exercise. We ride bikes all the time, and have a WaterRower as well. They’re kinda expensive but used ones usually sell for 10-20 cents on the dollar. FWIW And best of luck with rehab!

I like the idea of water resistance. Even if I could find a used one though, it's going to take up a little too much floor space when in use. My place is really quite small! Great idea though, and I'll keep it in mind for future needs and living spaces.

Major Tom, before you buy a stationary bike, be sure to check with your surgeon to make sure he or she thinks it is OK. DH's knee replacement surgeon does not want his patients to ride a stationary bike for 6 months, he says he thinks they cause more harm than good. DH's surgeon wants him to walk, walk , walk.

By the way, how are you doing Major Tom?

My PT's assistant thought it was a good idea, though I will check with my PT - and also with the physician's assistant, who I will be seeing this week. It could be that they want me to use it, but gently, at first. Judging from what we are doing in the PT sessions, I think that will be the response from the PT.

I have passed from what, as you may remember, was a very testing initial stage of recovery, into one that is really quite enjoyable. No severe pain any more - just occasional achiness, and infrequent low level pain. I am dialing down the pain meds. In truth, I could manage without them at this point, but I find that just half an oxycodone tablet takes the edge off my creakiness, and helps with the gentle stretching exercises. I still have some swelling, which increases if I walk outside for too long so, at this point, I am doing a lot of very gentle living, lying around reading, watching TV, doing gentle exercises, and more than my fair share of napping and daydreaming. It is fun. I have no guilt about taking it very easily indeed!

Last week, at almost 5 weeks out, I was at 125° of flex and 6° of extension, which was down from 7 the week before. I am now at almost 6 weeks out. The PT will measure my flex and extension on Wednesday, but I think my extension has improved a little more. She is confident that, once the swelling has gone down, and we can step up the exercise regimen, my ROM will only get better.

The stationary folding bike that was recommended by my wife’s physical therapist after her knee replacement is branded as “Xterra”

Pretty basic bike. We paid around $130 but I just googled Xterra stationary bike and Walmart has it for $70.

Easy to assemble and easy for her to get up on the seat and peddle and easy on the wallet.

Thank you for checking on that. This is one of the ones I was considering. Once I can use my regular bike, I will probably have less need for a stationary model. This is probably all I will need - and it will fit into my small apartment.

Thank you everyone for the responses. They were much appreciated!

Last edited:
Major Tom, so glad your knee is improving and life is seeming better. Your range of motion sounds really good. DH at almost 3 months is pretty much back to normal but his surgeon has said to wait 6 months for DH to be able to do some of his favorite things--golf, biking and dancing. But that time will pass quickly. The main exercise DH is doing is walking 2 miles twice a day, some stretching and some upper body weights. DH's surgeon is really big on getting all the swelling down so DH still ices using the ice machine and elevates his knee above his heart using the Lounge Doctor pillow.

harllee -

Interesting to know that your DH is still working on getting the swelling down. He had his surgery about 6 weeks before mine (mine was on 5/24). I feel that my swelling is the main thing that is holding me back from walking outside for long distances, and exercising more vigorously. I have read that the time taken for it to go down can vary widely, from just a few weeks to many months.

Here's hoping we both beat the swelling fairly swiftly!

I did make a support on the bed for my leg, using a folded comforter, that is carefully gradated at different levels. The problem, is that my cat has decided it is her new primary hangout place! I know, I know - I should be firmer with her.............:LOL:

Last edited:
harllee -

Interesting to know that your DH is still working on getting the swelling down. He had his surgery about 6 weeks before mine (mine was on 5/24). I feel that my swelling is the main thing that is holding me back from walking outside for long distances, and exercising more vigorously. I have read that the time taken for it to go down can vary widely, from just a few weeks to many months.

Here's hoping we both beat the swelling fairly swiftly!

I did make a support on the bed for my leg, using a folded comforter, that is carefully gradated at different levels. The problem, is that my cat has decided it is her new primary hangout place! I know, I know - I should be firmer with her.............:LOL:

Yes, it takes along time for all the swelling to go down and some people never get rid of it all. I think that my DH's swelling is about 95% gone. His surgeon says that most people have some swelling for at least a year. We have several friends that had knee replacement years ago and they all still ice and elevate on occasion.

1242Vintage - I took delivery yesterday, of the same exercise bike that your DW has been using, and already like it. It takes up very little space in my small apartment. I can easily jump on it whenever I want, and get some very helpful gentle exercise.

Although it is listed at $70 on the Walmart site, there is a $100 delivery charge. Amazon had it for $122 with free Prime shipping, so I went for that. I used some accumulated points from my Amex card. Probably not the most efficient way to use them, but the bike ended up costing me just $39 out of pocket. I wanted a stationary bike asap for my recovery, and this looks like it will fit the bill nicely.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Back
Top Bottom