For Book: Disease, Please

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Here's part of a plot I'm working on for my next book (not Democracy's Thief).

A very poor woman has a baby in 1987. The doctors discover that he has a serious disease that would be prohibitively expensive to treat. Without the treatment, he will die very young.

The mom switches him with a rich couple's baby, he gets the treatment, around 2020 a cure is found for the disease, and he lives until at least 2030.

Any suggestions for a disease that could fit this? The dates are flexible.

I'm thinking cystic fibrosis. Or maybe hemophilia?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Different book, but same series. This takes place in 2029. The nuke book happens in 2024.

Progeria...then it's literally a real race against time.

HIV maybe...but I think the retroviral drug treatments for that didn't come along until after 1987. Could you have the baby born a little later?

Cystic fibrosis might fit the bill. Currently it is not curable, but who knows what might happen in 2020? Also, it is a chronic disease requiring intensive treatment, and a recent study showed that access to care was associated with a longer life span. Back in 1987, the prognosis was not good (as a pediatric resident I witnessed several teenagers die of it), but these days, people commonly live to middle age.

Cystic fibrosis study: Patients live 10 years longer in Canada than in US - CNN.com

Spina Bifida. There are various levels of care needed, so you can choose something appropriate for your book. Stem cell research is making strides to help kids with SB. Not necessarily fatal but requires much care.

They now use lung transplants for cf. lots of costs to the surgery, along with expensive immuno suppresant drugs to conbat rejection.

A belated thanks. I'm writing the book now (about 80% done), and I chose Spina Bifida. Thanks, Dash Man!

You're welcome! My nephew has spina bifida.

Back
Top Bottom