Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are you, or someone you know, significantly less happy than it seems to others?
Yes 54 55.10%
No 44 44.90%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #41
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
As I have grown older, I try to be more honest with myself and others. So I at least try to present the real me. I am generally positive and when I am not happy people know it. So I is, what I is. No hiding behind a false facade.
Being myself sometimes brings brutal honesty which can be perceived as being angry all the time (as my wife, and grown daughter say), so should I put on a happy face for them also ?
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2019, 03:17 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am also known for being direct and straightforward, but haven't been told it makes me seem angry.

"Delivery" matters. But I would never advise anyone to be less than honest, to sugarcoat the truth, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
Being myself sometimes brings brutal honesty which can be perceived as being angry all the time (as my wife, and grown daughter say), so should I put on a happy face for them also ?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #43
Administrator

"People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty." ~Richard J. Needham
Old 08-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really don't know how to answer. I'm almost always happy but have no idea how others see me nor do I care.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #45
gone traveling

Predators primarily prey on the weak, its best to appear challenging, jmho?
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:14 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

That is exactly how my mentors at work expressed it to me. Only the term was "confident" or "assertive." "Challenging" would've been frowned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
Predators primarily prey on the weak, its best to appear challenging, jmho?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I read that 10% of the population is on anti-depressants. It's 25% for middle-aged women.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #48
Administrator

Over the course of my legal career, I deposed literally hundreds of people. One of my stock questions at the start of every deposition was "Are you taking any medications that would affect your ability to understand my questions and answer them truthfully?" However, I would usually only get to "Are you taking any medications . . ." before the deponent would start rattling off a list of them. The number of people who said they were taking antidepressants was truly staggering.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Somewhat tangential, but given TromboneAl's screen name and the topic this song is worth a listen.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would reframe unhappiness as a stress matrix.

There seem to be three categories of stress:

1) insults to our evolved genetic hardware and nature

2) mental level departures from our perception of a pragmatic, logical, sustainable path

3) insults to to our higher, creative, aesthetic, transpersonal, possibly eternal nature.

So, if I am having a bad moment, I interrogate myself regarding which level this negative stressor is coming from.

A big problem with FIRE is that we are creative, purposeful, experience, novelty, challenge dreaming and seeking creatures, so decadence and leisure drives most people nuts if they do not self motivate to feed those hungers the struggle for FIRE provided.

My gotos are, am I bored, am I lonely, am I doing enough for my widowed mother,

Scott Adams has been talking about happiness on his excellent podcast this week. His main strategy is to crowd out negative moods with intense activity.
Kroeran is offline   Reply With Quote