Join Early Retirement Today

For fun. When did you first realize you were no longer 25?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For fun. When did you first realize you were no longer 25?

Sooo, yesterday I went to the West Chester food and beer festival and pretty much tried to eat my way down one side of the fair grounds & up the other.
paying for it today. Kids are thinking of declaring the bathroom as a toxic waste superfund site.

When did That happen I use to be a heavyweight at food festivals darn it. The St. Anthony's Italian fair has a plaque dedicated to me....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1505675831560.jpg (1.02 MB, 117 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:58 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I read a post on our local bulletin board where someone mentioned an "elderly lady, aged 54-60".

Also every time I go up and down stairs....arthritis is taking over.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's a good question. Probably when I realized I enjoyed hanging out w/ my Dad's drinking buddies (who were all in their 80's) more than my similar aged friends!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #4

Noticed at 40 that things started to change more drastically.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

When I turned 26.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
When I turned 26.
+1
Age 25: OMG! I'm half way between 20 and 30!
Age 26: OMG! I'm getting OLD!
Age 40: OMG! I'm middle aged!
Age 50: OMG! When can I retire?
Age 60: OMG! Now I'm REALLY OLD!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
+1
Age 25: OMG! I'm half way between 20 and 30!
Age 26: OMG! I'm getting OLD!
Age 40: OMG! I'm middle aged!
Age 50: OMG! When can I retire?
Age 60: OMG! Now I'm REALLY OLD!
+1
sometime in this past year, I have come to realize I can no longer eat/tolerate any fried foods. Healthier, but not as much fun!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

No longer 25? What? I'm NOT? Why wasn't I informed? Did I miss a memo?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Noticed at 40 that things started to change more drastically.
Yeah, pretty much the same for me. Around 40 my once perfect eyesight started to get a little wonky, and a few years later I started noticing that I couldn't drink a few glasses of wine every night with dinner without some gastric distress. Turned out to be a mild form of acid reflux that continues to be an off-and-on issue. Sigh...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
+1
sometime in this past year, I have come to realize I can no longer eat/tolerate any fried foods. Healthier, but not as much fun!
I guess it's somewhat age related, but having my gallbladder taken out has had consequences. Most foods I can eat without issue, but on occasion I will over do it, or I just lack the intestinal fortitude I had 20 years ago and my body will punish my transgression with crippling pain.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I used to play basketball and flag football (which at times was more like tackle football without pads) very regularly,. Many times it was with my older sons and their friends, trying to convince myself that I was still young. Of course as I got older my "recovery from soreness time" started getting longer.

At the age of 42, the day after playing a couple of football games, I was so sore I could barely move. Unfortunately I also had to get on a plane for a 5 hour flight. When the flight arrived I seriously thought I would have to request a wheelchair to get off the plane. I was the last one off... the process to make it down the runway, get to baggage claim, drag my bags to a rental car, and get to the hotel was so painful that to this day I do not know how I managed without assistance. I kind of dragged myself around to meetings that week.

Tylenol helped a bit, but I really did not to depend on it on a regular basis. At that point I realized I was no longer young, and it was probably time to retire from contact sports with these youngsters. A few months later, after playing full court basketball with a younger group for several hours, getting totally exhausted, and having the same sore feelings for the several days, convinced me for sure.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
When I read a post on our local bulletin board where someone mentioned an "elderly lady, aged 54-60".
That's absurd. Maybe someone who's 55 would be viewed as "elderly" by a 7 year-old child, but who else thinks of people in their 50s this way? To me, the word elderly has always implied a state of frailty, both mental and physical, and I personally know of no one in their 50s or 60s who fits that description.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:00 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

When my 30 something year old neighbors started to call me ma'am and when some 30 something year old colleagues started to call me mom.
Baileygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have mentioned a few times here that I have gone "back to school" and on a couple of occasions, fellow students have gotten on the elevator have said, "Good morning, professor..." to me.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
When I turned 26.
[emoji2] don't make me come over there. I've got leftover spicy chicken empanadas and I'm not afraid to use them.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
[emoji2] don't make me come over there. I've got leftover spicy chicken empanadas and I'm not afraid to use them.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
UR2fny!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
... I started noticing that I couldn't drink a few glasses of wine every night with dinner without some gastric distress. Turned out to be a mild form of acid reflux that continues to be an off-and-on issue. Sigh...
Wow, this is me exactly! I thought it was just me and bad family genes. Kind of comforting to hear otherwise. I've started adding a little water to my wine glass that seems to help some along with a daily probiotic.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

At 31. For some reason that hit me hard. At 40, because nature flip a switch my body started working against me. First time to need reading glasses, first blood pressure issues, etc.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote