Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we have already been warned by neighbors to have our trees neutered (have their nuts cut off). They can become flying missiles in the event of hurricanes. In fact, the recommendation is to have the flowers pruned before the fruit even forms. It's very expensive to hire someone to climb that high, and I think we will limit pruning to the trees that drop on or near streetside.

Still, the previous owners were there for 15 years and clearly never had the trees trimmed at all. When we moved in, we had to clean up years and years of palm tree debris (palm fronds do not decay), including simply hundreds of old dried-up coconuts.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We had lots of coconut palms around when growing up, and no one removed coconuts in spite of the danger.

So I was surprised on my last Hawaii visit to see that coconuts were routinely removed from trees. Took a bit of getting used to not seeing coconuts
It's just insane not to do this, in the modern era when huge liability settlements can target the property owner (at least, in Hawaii).

My parents used to hire a muscular, buff Tongan guy to shimmy up the trees. What a great job! He loved it. He could barely speak English but he spent his days in the sunshine at the top of coconut trees, with soft sea breezes to cool him off, and made a very nice income considering that he had no special skills. I loved watching him work, because he barely wore more than a thong when doing this, I was a teenager, his muscles were rippling and glistening in the sunshine, and my hormones were raging.....
Old 08-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's just insane not to do this, in the modern era when huge liability settlements can target the property owner (at least, in Hawaii).

My parents used to hire a muscular, buff Tongan guy to shimmy up the trees. What a great job! He loved it. He could barely speak English but he spent his days in the sunshine at the top of coconut trees, with soft sea breezes to cool him off, and made a very nice income considering that he had no special skills. I loved watching him work, because he barely wore more than a thong when doing this, I was a teenager, his muscles were rippling and glistening in the sunshine, and my hormones were raging.....
Yeah, well that was back in the 60s, and people were used to living around coconuts and using them for food. I never remember reports of anyone getting hurt by being hit by a falling coconut, although certainly could see how that would be a hazard.

Oh yeah - those young Polynesian men are a sight to behold!
Old 08-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I'd put the chances of him knowing he had a teen girl audience at 100.1%.

The guys who climb the trees around here are fully clothed. I don't know what they themselves are paid, but their landscape companies charge a bundle; not surprising, given the risk, plus general lack of DIY climbing ability among their customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I loved watching him work, because he barely wore more than a thong when doing this, I was a teenager, his muscles were rippling and glistening in the sunshine, and my hormones were raging.....
Old 08-25-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Don't worry, be happy!

Most people wouldn't eat enough coconut to where it affects your health. It's used sparingly in cooking.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'd put the chances of him knowing he had a teen girl audience at 100.1%.
Yeah, you're right. I was blushing so deeply it probably lit up half the island, too.

Quote:
The guys who climb the trees around here are fully clothed.
Well that takes all the fun out of it!

Really, Audrey says it all in the following quote. She GETS it....
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Oh yeah - those young Polynesian men are a sight to behold!
And I remember that sight, 55 years later as a 71 year old woman; always will.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

The problem with leaving rotting coconuts on the ground is rats . They will scavenge any fruit . Getting rid of rats is a lot harder than having trees trimmed . Usually before hurricane season crews are driving around to pick up extra business especially if they are already doing some work in your neighborhood . You can bargain with them . Last year I had a huge palm removed ,a few palm trimmed , two huge oaks trimmed and a stump ground for $550.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Still, the previous owners were there for 15 years and clearly never had the trees trimmed at all. When we moved in, we had to clean up years and years of palm tree debris (palm fronds do not decay), including simply hundreds of old dried-up coconuts.

I can't believe the Homeowner's association didn't go nuts.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We must have the only Beach community that doesn't have an HOA. The neighbors noticed when we cleaned up, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I can't believe the Homeowner's association didn't go nuts.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I haven't had the courage to bargain yet, but I'll give it a try. I tend to feel sorry for the crews because they work hard in the hot sun - then again, they are usually from countries where that is the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
. Usually before hurricane season crews are driving around to pick up extra business especially if they are already doing some work in your neighborhood . You can bargain with them . Last year I had a huge palm removed ,a few palm trimmed , two huge oaks trimmed and a stump ground for $550.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:35 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

On one of the traveling food shows (can’t remember which) they host was given something I have always dreamed of trying. The fallen coconut goes through a sprouting process where the interior becomes like an apple. It looked so delicious. Has anyone eaten a partially sprouted coconut's flesh?
Audie Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie Murphy View Post
On one of the traveling food shows (can’t remember which) they host was given something I have always dreamed of trying. The fallen coconut goes through a sprouting process where the interior becomes like an apple. It looked so delicious. Has anyone eaten a partially sprouted coconut's flesh?
Yes, actually, I did at least once. Hard to describe. Mild, a little spongy. Nice flavor - did taste sweetly apple-like. Not at all like coconut.

Tags
coconut, nutrition, saturated fat