Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

rodi--so sorry to hear about your BIL.
Thank you for the reminder, though.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 11:11 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Gas can be a complaint. My nurse and doctor encouraged me to get it out in recovery. Don't be shy! They pump you up. You gotta blow it out.

It could be that you are naturally shy about it and reflexively retained it. The longer it stays, the more it can find places to hide out.

I dream a lot too. I think it is a propofol thing.
I've had 2 this year and both totally clear which I'm very thankful for. The first was with Propofol and I woke up so alert and felt better than I had in months. The second one was with Demerol last week and I felt sluggish and simply awful all day. I had a bad diverticulitis attack in May and still not completely recovered so they did the 2nd colonoscopy just to be safe. Father died from bowel cancer and mother from breast cancer, neither made it 60.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:19 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
The first was with Propofol and I woke up so alert and felt better than I had in months. The second one was with Demerol last week and I felt sluggish and simply awful all day.
Yes. If you are going to get anesthesia, ask what kind? Propofol is preferable. They ask you to take it easy, but frankly, I was fine 15 minutes after waking and good for anything the rest of the day. I still followed instructions and didn't drive or do anything, even though I think I could have.

Demerol has all kinds of effects on many people. I especially hear a lot about nausea or bad taste.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:21 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My brother, age 73, would not get colonoscopies. Earlier this year he started having bad stomach cramps and losing weight...that went on for weeks. Turns out it was stage 2 colon cancer. They think they removed it all during surgery and it hadn't spread to his lymph nodes. He was lucky but could've avoided a lot of mental anguish had he had routine screenings, plus he will always have the threat of it coming back. He admits he was wrong not to get screenings. At age 67, I have had 2 colonoscopies. Nothing was found on either and I was on the 10 year plan, but since his diagnosis I will have to be on a 5 year plan. Not due for another for 3 1/2 years though, but I will do it.
becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:40 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Early on joining this community I was passionate about this subject.
A colonoscopy saved my life.
I really didn't have much choice, though. At 50, my doc said "get it." I dragged my feet for a few months. I had also been seeing a few streaks of something red from time to time, but I always passed it off as eating candy or red jello. That was very bad thinking, as food coloring does not typically work that way.

Then one day, a completely bright red toilet.

I called my GI referral, and he asked that I come in right away. Not seeing any major hemorrhoids, he was concerned. 3 days later the colonoscopy confirmed major bleeding polyps. I was lucky, they usually don't bleed like this. I would have dragged my feet.

In my doctor's estimation, I would have had cancer within the year. I had another follow up 1 year later, and they pulled 3 more polyps. Then 3 years later, none. So I'm now on the 5 yr. plan.

It is treatable. My uncle and cousin had a history of it. My cousin had a complete blockage of the bowel, that was his symptom. Fortunately, no distant metastasis and he is now fine, 10 years on. His father, my uncle, died from it in his late 40s.

My take away from all this is don't ignore ANY symptom. Low iron? Get checked. More than one incident of a blood streak? Get a checkup. And so on.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Some doctors say dont get them after age 70 because your lining gets too thin and I dont think Medicare pays after age 75. Some doctors do them forever. Its a big decision when to quit.
Had my first at 51 and second at 61 - both all clear. I will have one at 71 and then evaluate. My PCP told me that if he were in my shoes and received an all-clear at 71, he would forego further colonoscopies.

I've got 9 years to think about it.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #47

I will have my 3rd one this year (age 70). Assuming it is OK then I probably will not get another one unless I have issues.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The first one I had was sans anesthesia too.....not painful, but uncomfortable...second one, I said give me the drugs......think it was maybe the third one where I watched it on TV.....interesting to see what's going on.
Did you mean completely drug-free, Nemo2? That's what I did, because I don't mind physical discomfort or pain that much, but I really dislike being foggy or forced into unconsciousness. Plus, I didn't see any need to have my spouse take off of w*rk to drive me when I could drive myself! And it was fine, just a quick moment of pressure and discomfort in the beginning, and that was it, other than the gas pressure. Much easier than the prep, IMO.

And I ask if you did it completely without drugs because I discussed it with my gastroenterologist, and he said he only had a few patients request that, but of those that did, none of them said they regretted it or asked to be put under the next time, and that gave me confidence in my decision. (Last year was my first one.)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #49

Rodi - add me to the well-wishers for your BIL. I've been faithful to the schedule of colonoscopies. Cliche I know, but as bad as the prep is it sure beats not getting colonoscopy and then learning too late you should have. 20 years ago my neighbor had some symptoms, went to the GI doctor, and the cancer was too widespread (he never went for colonoscopy previously). He died within a couple of months.
Better to take preventive action than regret not doing so, with such a high price at risk.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

A tip for the prep:

Mix it with Crystal Light powder and it is actually not too bad. I did that for mine and it worked great. A friend of mine mixed his with Tequila. He said is was awesome, but I don;t think I'd recommend it...
Old 09-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #51

Thanks for the reminder Rodi and best wishes for your BIL.

I decided to get a basic physical from my family doctor when I was 45 because I felt I the body was starting to break down a bit; more aches and pains. I asked about a colonoscopy but he said to hold off until 50 since I didn't have a family history of colon cancer. And he said to lose some weight.

I'm turning 50 next year so I think I'll likely go back in for another physical and get a referral for a colonoscopy.
I also eat too much crap like processes meats, colas, etc that likely aren't helping either.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #52

I've had a couple thru the years. Had 1 polyp last time they snipped. Those 5 years sure come up fast.

It's so important that we all take a more proactive approach to healthcare, including getting checkups with chest X-rays.

I lost two friends in the last year with stage IV lung cancer, and both were the only people I knew that still smoked. Early 70's. Had they been getting checkups and quit smoking, they might still be with us.

A close friend works in a endoscopic clinic in a large city hospital as a Registered Nurse. They do between 100 and 125 procedures daily. WOW! She's making so much $ that Early Retirement is out of the picture.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #53

Rodi, sorry to hear about your BIL. But thanks for the timely reminder.

The prep is not bad. Really.

AND

Get your annual physicals! Your PC doctor may incorporate a simple stool test which can be diagnostic, way before you see any blood.

ALSO

Cologuard is a non-invasive home test which may be appropriate for some folks-ask your doctor.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
A tip for the prep:

Mix it with Crystal Light powder and it is actually not too bad. I did that for mine and it worked great. A friend of mine mixed his with Tequila. He said is was awesome, but I don;t think I'd recommend it...
When I said the prep was the worst part, I didn't mean when it was going in....

(Although I actually really like Crystal Light, that part can't hurt..)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
When I said the prep was the worst part, I didn't mean when it was going in....

(Although I actually really like Crystal Light, that part can't hurt..)

Old 09-01-2020, 10:25 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Did you mean completely drug-free, Nemo2? That's what I did, because I don't mind physical discomfort or pain that much, but I really dislike being foggy or forced into unconsciousness. Plus, I didn't see any need to have my spouse take off of w*rk to drive me when I could drive myself! And it was fine, just a quick moment of pressure and discomfort in the beginning, and that was it, other than the gas pressure. Much easier than the prep, IMO.

And I ask if you did it completely without drugs because I discussed it with my gastroenterologist, and he said he only had a few patients request that, but of those that did, none of them said they regretted it or asked to be put under the next time, and that gave me confidence in my decision. (Last year was my first one.)
Left Saudi at the end of 1988...I was 46+ years old...part of the Telco 'Welcome Back To Canada' medical package was a colonoscopy. I'd never had one, never thought of having one, so when they said there was a post procedure reacclimating period with drugs I pretty much said "Yeah, yeah, whatever...I'll take it without drugs".

I found it uncomfortable but not painful...(my grandmother used to say "No sense, no feeling" about me, as I also have a fairly high pain threshold)...but afterward I figured, since there were going to be future episodes, that I may as well take the drugs in future......pretty much on a "why not?" basis.

First time 'in' they found a couple benign polyps that they removed, but that started me on a five year cycle......they never found another.

Prep.....as I mentioned earlier, for the first few repeats the only thing I was permitted to eat was (non-red) Jello, which I detest, non-red or otherwise. The other stuff? As Roger Miller sang "Chug-a-lug, chug-a-lug
Make you want to holler hi-de-ho"

(The second procedure I had was on an island in British Columbia...was able to watch it on TV, so I presume the sedation dosage was low.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #57

Sorry about your bil Rodi. I will pray for him. I've had 2 colonoscopies. One at 48 and the last at 59. had 3 polyps removed last time. I did discover peppermint chewing gum for my prep for the last colonoscopy. I start chewing a brand new piece of peppermint gum right before drinking a glass of that delicious liquid. It worked great! No taste but the chewing gum. Much better prep this past time than last time. I am on a 3 year cycle since sister had stage 1 colon cancer. She has recovered fine but it was a long irritating process.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willers View Post
A friend of mine mixed his with Tequila. He said is was awesome, but I don;t think I'd recommend it...
I gave that a short thought. But then realized any kind of hangover symptoms the next morning would just be extra painful. Pass.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I've had a couple thru the years. Had 1 polyp last time they snipped. Those 5 years sure come up fast.

It's so important that we all take a more proactive approach to healthcare, including getting checkups with chest X-rays.

I lost two friends in the last year with stage IV lung cancer, and both were the only people I knew that still smoked. Early 70's. Had they been getting checkups and quit smoking, they might still be with us.

A close friend works in a endoscopic clinic in a large city hospital as a Registered Nurse. They do between 100 and 125 procedures daily. WOW! She's making so much $ that Early Retirement is out of the picture.
Annual x rays? I am almost 70 and have never had an X-ray (except the one time when they thought I had pneumonia). My doctor has never suggested an annual x-ray. I have never smoked--should I be getting an annual lung x-ray?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Maybe they do annual X-rays for smokers but not for others.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote