Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
It seems like everyone I know that went in for their first colonoscopy at age 50+ said "I had a polyp (or three) removed". That happened to me too, but no polyps found since, and I've had a few more colonoscopies.

So, thinking about the Cologuard contraindication with adenomas, I started thinking back and I don't think I ever heard the word "adenoma" uttered by a doctor. But had heard "polyp", so I looked it up on the colon page of Mayo Clinic:

So it sounds like as long as you had the benign kind of polyp, you're still ok with Cologuard, but if you had the less benign ones, you're not. I'm glad for this discussion because now I know a bit more about the topic and will be able to kind of prepared when I discuss it with my doctor.
Today, my favorite Internet facing doctor, Peter Attia, released a blog about CRC, triggered by the death of Chadwick Boseman (age 43). They have a nice picture of the various stages of polyp through cancer:

The article doesn't mention "Cologuard", directly and seems to lump the fecal blood test and DNA tests as "screening tests for a screening test". He mentions that risk of perforation is about 1 in 3,000 for asymptomatics, and you should ask if your scope doc has ever perforated. Also ask their adenoma detection rate (ADR) and average withdraw time. ADR should be >30% for male >20% for female. Withdraw time should be 6 minutes.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to hijack the thread but in discussion of qualifications/evaluations of docs and procedures I find myself wondering whether or where it might be possible to see KPIs on surgeons or other procedure performers? What entities collect this data?
Old 09-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The protocol with our health care provider now is perform a fecal DNA test (they have their own) annually and if a positive result is indicated, a colonoscopy is performed. The fecal DNA test is covered 100% by insurance.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
The protocol with our health care provider now is perform a fecal DNA test (they have their own) annually and if a positive result is indicated, a colonoscopy is performed. The fecal DNA test is covered 100% by insurance.
Is this for anyone including folks who have had a history of polyps? As someone who always has had polyps found and removed, I think I'll stick with my colonoscopy schedule for now.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

^^^
Me too, similar history.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Friendly Reminder to get your colonoscopies.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #106

Friendly Reminder to get your colonoscopies.

66, and I’m due for my 4th one this year.. I wonder will Medicare and my united healthcare pay for it? My first one he took out some small polyps ...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #107

65 and getting my 3rd tomorrow morning
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished my first this morning. No issues, thank god. Four years late but better now than never.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post

Who paid for it?
Old 09-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Just finished my first this morning. No issues, thank god. Four years late but better now than never.

If older than 65 who paid for it?
Old 09-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
enjoy your afternoon
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
I’m 54 and not retired yet. Health insurance through work paid for it.
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
DH had to have 2 colonoscopies last year (one was a follow up to make sure they got all of a large polyp) and Medicare plus his Supplement paid 100% of the cost for both the colonoscopies.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Is this for anyone including folks who have had a history of polyps? As someone who always has had polyps found and removed, I think I'll stick with my colonoscopy schedule for now.
It applies to patients who were clear after their first colonoscopy. I had one at age 50 and had no issues. After the fecal DNA test was approved, they added the test to anyone over 55 as part of their annual physical. I think this is a better approach than waiting 10 years between colonoscopies.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #115

Age 50, a few polyps removed
Age 57, the same
Age 63, no polyps, but diverticulosis
Age 70, 2 polyps, diverticulosis
They want me back for another at 75, and I'm leaning toward doing it, even though some say you should stop after 70.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Age 57, the same
They want me back for another at 75, and I'm leaning toward doing it, even though some say you should stop after 70.
Even though colon cancer is generally very slow (hence the 10 year interval for those with no sign of it), since you've had polyps and diverticulitis, your risk is higher. I'm sure you've prepared financially for retirement through at least your 90s, as someone with a background in public health, I would advise you to take a similar approach to your health.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:19 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Age 57, the same
Some people also say you should die after 70.
I'm 75 now and getting a colonoscopy every 3 years because my Dad died with colon cancer, and I've had a half-dozen polyps removed over the years.

When I get to the point that I don't think I'll live another three years, then I'll skip the colonoscopy.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:55 AM   #118
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm 49 and getting ready to ER within the next year. Had a colonoscopy earlier this year and the doc couldn't remove a polyp due to its size. Had a diff doc try again two months later and it had already grown quite a bit (to 6cm). Had surgery last month and they removed a foot of my colon and stuffed me back together. Biopsy came back negative, but he guaranteed due to it's size it would have turned into cancer within a couple years.
So I'm very thankful I had one, so sorry to the OP.
spanky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #119
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am due for my third colonoscopy in the next few months. The colonoscopy place is now requiring that you have a Covid-19 test within a few days before the colonoscopy. One friend did not get the results of the Covid 19 test back in time so she had to delay the colonoscopy even after she had begun some of the prep. Anyone else having trouble getting Covid test results before a colonoscopy?
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am due for my third colonoscopy in the next few months. The colonoscopy place is now requiring that you have a Covid-19 test within a few days before the colonoscopy. One friend did not get the results of the Covid 19 test back in time so she had to delay the colonoscopy even after she had begun some of the prep. Anyone else having trouble getting Covid test results before a colonoscopy?
My husband had that same requirement for cervical spine outpatient surgery last month. He worked with the folks at the outpatient surgery facility to arrange the test at a location where the results could be had within the appropriate timeframe. Work with your G.I. doctor and the colonoscopy facility as they should know where to send you for timely test results.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote