Fructose - the common line in high blood pressure, insulin resistance, etc. etc. etc

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Another two hour Peter Attia interview. You might want to check the discussion times below for items of interest.

Of particular interest to me is now fructose raises uric acid levels. Then the higher uric acid levels increase blood pressure. Also, how the same amount of salt, diluted with more water won't cause BP to rise as much if at all. Apparently it's the concentration of salt that does the dirty work. The Dr. interviewed explains it better than I can.

https://peterattiamd.com/rickjohnso...tm_content=220310-ru-bloodpressure-email-subs

We discuss:
  • The connection between blood pressure and fructose that shifted Rick’s professional focus [4:00];
  • The relationship between salt and blood pressure (and the role of sugar) [5:45];
  • Defining fructose, glucose, and sugar [19:30];
  • An ancient mutation in apes that explains why humans turn fructose into fat so easily [23:00];
  • The problems with elevated uric acid levels, and what it tells us about how sugar causes disease [31:30];
  • How sugar causes obesity—explaining the difference in glucose vs. fructose metabolism and the critical pathway induced by fructose [40:00];
  • Why drinking sugar is worse than eating it [50:00];
  • Unique ability of sugar to drive oxidative stress to the mitochondria, insulin resistance, and diabetes [54:00];
  • Why cancer loves fructose [1:00:20];
  • The many areas of the body that can use fructose [1:05:00];
  • Fructokinase inhibitors—a potential blockbuster? [1:07:15];
  • Treating high uric acid levels—Rick’s approach with patients [1:10:00];
  • Salt intake—what advice does Rick give his patients? [1:16:30];
  • How excess glucose (i.e., high carb diets) can cause problems even in the absence of fructose [1:21:00];
  • Artificial sweeteners vs. real sugar—which is better? [1:29:15];
  • Umami, MSG, alcohol, beer—do these have a role in metabolic illness? [1:33:45];
  • Fructose consumption—Is any amount acceptable? Is fruit okay? Where does Rick draw a hard line? [1:38:45]
  • How does Rick manage the sugar intake of his young kids? [1:43:00]; and
  • More.

Last edited:
I'm type II diabetic, and all the above notes appear right on track. The whole goal of controlling carbs. is to maintain good kidneys and stay off dialysis. That's the kiss of death. And diabetics also have a much, much worse chance of open heart surgery--which is not good. I'm on a insulin pump and am stable.

My digestive system is intolerant to fructose and lactose. I watch my diet closely to avoid fructose. Yet, I’m still on four blood pressure medications. No diabetes though!

I thought that was a fascinating interview (a 2019 Attia podcast I think) with Dr. Rick Johnson, and the role of fructose metabolism in uric acid and difficulty eliminating uric acid was super interesting. Gout treatment has focused on reducing food high in purines, but avoiding sugar is probably the most important. The body can readily excrete excess uric acid unless the fructose metabolism gets messed up.

The first clinical sign of insulin resistance for many people is elevated blood pressure, yet doctors have called it “essential” hypertension because they don’t know the cause and don’t know that insulin resistance is often the cause. So they don’t treat the cause, and instead prescribe medications to treat symptoms.

Another thing - chronically elevated insulin (another symptom of insulin resistance) makes the kidneys retain sodium and associated excess water. This pushes up the blood pressure.

You can easily keep blood insulin low by eliminating sweets and junk foods, and reducing intake of starchy carbs. Intermittent fasting helps too.

Keep those mitochondria healthy!

Last edited:
So many processed food contain high fructose corn syrup. Plus loads of salt, fat, and cholesterol. Read the label. This is part of what got me making my own chili vs the canned stuff which has high levels of all that stuff.

The biggest culprit from fast/highly processed/junk food may be the super refined carbs with most fiber removed, and some (like donuts) with a large dose of seed oils thrown in then coated with sugar.

It’s not really the burger, it’s the bun, ketchup and fries.

The biggest culprit from fast/highly processed/junk food may be the super refined carbs with most fiber removed, and some (like donuts) with a large dose of seed oils thrown in then coated with sugar.

It’s not really the burger, it’s the bun, ketchup and fries.

Perfect. Today I grilled me a burger with some good cheese on top. No bun, no fries, no ketchup, catsup, or mustard. And a beer. :D

Perfect. Today I grilled me a burger with some good cheese on top. No bun, no fries, no ketchup, catsup, or mustard. And a beer. :D

Well, I would have gone with the mustard and thrown some pickles on it. At least you did include the beer.

I do prefer my burgers with a bun, but when I’m eating well, I’ll wrap my burger in some romaine lettuce and I can’t say I miss the bun all that much.

I haven't had burger on bun in so long I can't remember. Sometimes I will wrap a burger in a low carb Mission brand tortilla shell (6 gram net carbs). Inside I add sliced jalapenos, mustard and maybe some cheese. :)

Tried lettuce for a top bun. Tasty but messy.
No pickles for me. I consider them evil. :LOL:

Will have to try a tortilla.

Last edited:
I'll assume you mean tortillas diameter, not pickles. Sorry. Beat me to it with your edit. :LOL:

There is no shortage of tortillas of all kinds here in El Lay. :)

I'll assume you mean tortillas diameter, not pickles. Sorry. Beat me to it with your edit. :LOL:

There is no shortage of tortillas of all kinds here in El Lay. :)

I see. You are in The Valley. I used to have my office in Woodland Hills and lived in T.O.

I see. You are in The Valley. I used to have my office in Woodland Hills and lived in T.O.

Yep. 35 years in The Valley. Not sure when you were here last. The whole Topanga Mall area has been expanded / upgraded and a lot of new stuff built. Both commercial and apartments. Just in the last few years. Still have a big open parcel that used to be Rockdetdyne, and now awaits new development. Big new apartments are going up all over. This place is urbanizing fast.

Hello. Isabella Lake? :cool:

It looks like you can only have a cup of fruit or so per day. Doesn't that seem a bit low?

Yep. 35 years in The Valley. Not sure when you were here last. The whole Topanga Mall area has been expanded / upgraded and a lot of new stuff built. Both commercial and apartments. Just in the last few years. Still have a big open parcel that used to be Rockdetdyne, and now awaits new development. Big new apartments are going up all over. This place is urbanizing fast.

Hello. Isabella Lake? :cool:

Wow, it's been years since I was back there. My office was near the Marriott around the Owensmouth Ave and Fallbrook area.

Oops! The beer blew it, ha ha!

Cabernet goes well with bunless burgers. Of course I prefer steak.

I often do steak with rajas - grill some poblanos, peel, seed, cut into strips, sautée with onions and a little heavy cream. Awesome steak topper.

Tried lettuce for a top bun. Tasty but messy.
No pickles for me. I consider them evil. :LOL:

Will have to try a tortilla.

Or try using a knife and fork? Does that ruin it?

I’ll stick with the steak, ha ha.

Personally don’t care for ground meat although I will occasionally use it for a ragù.

For burgers, I cut a large bell pepper in half and then stuff the meat (or impossible burger) in each piece and have two open face sandwiches.

Very common around here to order a burger with no bun. DW and I have done that for years. Some places even have a note on their menu board that you can order your sandwich "naked", meaning no bread.

I often do steak with rajas - grill some poblanos, peel, seed, cut into strips, sautée with onions and a little heavy cream. Awesome steak topper.

That sounds really tasty. I’m going to try it.

Very common around here to order a burger with no bun. DW and I have done that for years.

DW has celiac and I avoid carbs, so bun-less burgers are a staple around here for years too. Delicious.

We have this more at home than out, but do order this when out occasionally.

It’s always knife and fork for us.

That sounds really tasty. I’m going to try it.
I sautée the onions for a while first in butter usually, and get them nice and soft before adding the poblano strips which are already mostly cooked from roasting on the grill. Let that sautée for a bit then pour in some heavy cream at the end and let simmer on low heat stirring occasionally.

These days poblanos are mostly mild, but occasionally you get a hot one!

DW just made me an Impossible burger on a brioche bun. It was quite good, but I really don't know how much healthier it is versus a beef burger. Or maybe its less healthy, who knows? The ingredients do list coconut and sunflower oils, which probably drives the 14 grams of fat (8G saturated). Also 9G of carbs and 19G protein.

I understand that people are avoiding starchy carbs, but what are you all doing with whole fruit? Limiting the amount of whole fruit to consume to lower your fructose intake?

Back
Top Bottom