Join Early Retirement Today

FYI: Cost for 5 days of health care in Thailand
Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

FYI: Cost for 5 days of health care in Thailand

I just had the first non-trivial out-of-pocket health care bills of my 2.5 years of retirement. In some sort of poetic [in]justice, I fell ill while reviewing insurance plan info I'd requested from several sources.

The good news is that quality care is inexpensive compared to my home country, the US of A. But I also chose a provider (the generic sounding 'Bangkok Hospital Group' or BHG) that has a reputation for both high quality care and high prices. The two facilities I used are in towns that are at or near the top of the list of the country's highest cost of living for the Farang (foreigner) lifestyle.

I always had good health insurance while living in the states, so I have no idea what any of this costs there. I'm sure it's sufficiently higher so as to explain much of the medical tourism of US citizens to Thailand.

Each of the 'Day #' headings shows total cost for the day(s) in question. Following lines break down that cost into major areas. Exchange rate used is 30 Baht per US $

Total Cost - 114,454 Baht ($3,815)

Day 1. Outpatient: 2,385 B ($80)

Office visit including new patient history, 2 physial exams, 1 procedure by Doc, 1 by nurse, abdominal x-ray series of 3 shots, meds.

Diagnosis: obstructed bowel.

Day 2. Outpatient: 25,479 B ($849)

Return to same Doc because of substantial increase in pain.

Abdominal cat scan with barium trace - 10,000 B ($333)
Physician evaluation - 800 B ($27)
Seven blood tests - 2,106 B ($70)
Misc Medical Supplies - 1,610 B ($54)
Meds - 1,323 B ($44)

Diagnosis: Needed additional test(s) to pick among several possible.

The BHG hospital in my town, Hua Hin, is not equipped for those tests as it opened on Jan 1 of this year and is slowly expanding services offered. I was transfered to the main BHG hospital in Bangkok.

Ambulance transport (3 hr ride) with nurse - 9,640 B ($321)

Hospital Pre-Admission Deposit - 100,000 B ($3,333)

Thailand has public hospitals for those who can't pay and private hospitals for those who can. There are two ways to be admitted to the BHG's mothership hospital. The first is to have your insurance verified. The second is to hand over 100k B in cash or against a credit/debit card. I wondered how much of the 100k I'd get back, but didn't care much because of the morphine. I expect the amount of up-front money varies with the patient's condition.

Day 3 - 5. In-Patient: 86,590 B ($2,886)

Drugs - 13,787 B ($460)
Medical supplies and equipment - 4,062 B ($135)
Gastro Endoscopy and labs - 20,216 B ($674)
Abdominal X-Ray series - 2,860 B ($95)
Nursing - 5,000 B ($167)
Doctors - 17,950 B ($598)
Private Room, Standard type for 3 nights - 10,815 B ($361)

Includes basic nursing, housekeeping services and food. Besides the usual medical bed and equipment, the room has a microwave, 4' tall refrigerator, hot water pot, 2 sets of plate/bowl/glass/cup/flatware, flat screen TV, dvd player, table with 2 chairs, writing table and stool, recliner chair and sofa. The latter two are useful for the friend or family members who want to stay with you 24/7. There are three more expensive room types.

'Packaged Medical Charge' - 11,900 B ($397)

Diagnosis: Gastroesophageal reflux disease and gastrc ulcers, but both caught at very early stages.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So what was the all inclusive cost for the 5 days? including hotel, flight, all hospital and medical care?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

interesting post. My Step-son went to Thailand for 4 weeks last summer and really wants to return this summer. Some of the prices he told me about were amazing. Cost of food sounded really cheap. sounds like cost of medical is very reasonable too. Glad to hear you found out what ails you.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One has to wonder if more and more health insurers will be employing travel agents to arrange "medical tourism" visits to places like this. Unfortunately the jobs would probably be in India.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
So what was the all inclusive cost for the 5 days? including hotel, flight, all hospital and medical care?
Oops. Sorry for the confusion. I live in Thailand so no hotel and flight costs. All hospital and medical costs were listed.

The only additional cost was getting home from the Hospital, which cost 180 B ($6) for a 2.5 hour mini van ride and a 40 B ($1.33) 8 minute moto taxi ride.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote