Join Early Retirement Today

Gaming the insurance system
Old 05-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gaming the insurance system

Ok, not that I would do it but.... My MegaCorp insurance sent me a notice that they would not coordinate with other insurance companies, and my wifes insurance said the same thing. Here's the question? If I'm paying the rates for family for both plans, can I turn the cost for a procedure in to both insurance companies and collect from both of them based on their discounted rates. In other words, use the primary insurance for the procudure and then on my own, send in the bill to the second insurance and get paid directly to myself for the amount of money that the inusrance company would pay, but sent to me. This may or may not result in my receiving more from the insurance companies then the total actual cost of the procedure, if I'm lucky. Since I'm paying, or at least my employer is, and by extension, I am, as it is one of my benefits, it would seem that this should be fair. What is the legality of this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Gaming the insurance system
Old 05-09-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In order to have the second insurance company reimburse you directly, you'll need to submit not only a bill, but an invoice clearly showing a zero balance. Generally, the paid invoice will show the portions paid by you (co-pay, deductible, etc.) and the portion paid by insurance. Thus, the second company will be able to see what the first company paid.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick
Ok, not that I would do it but.... My MegaCorp insurance sent me a notice that they would not coordinate with other insurance companies, and my wifes insurance said the same thing. Here's the question? If I'm paying the rates for family for both plans, can I turn the cost for a procedure in to both insurance companies and collect from both of them based on their discounted rates. In other words, use the primary insurance for the procudure and then on my own, send in the bill to the second insurance and get paid directly to myself for the amount of money that the inusrance company would pay, but sent to me. This may or may not result in my receiving more from the insurance companies then the total actual cost of the procedure, if I'm lucky. Since I'm paying, or at least my employer is, and by extension, I am, as it is one of my benefits, it would seem that this should be fair. What is the legality of this?
I am pretty sure its called "insurance fraud".
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick
Only question is whether it's a misdemeanor or a felony.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Only question is whether it's a misdemeanor or a felony.
Depends on the amount.

If you have a good graphics program, you can print up your own invoices.

The best part is, you get free health care in prison.
That's right, free lodging, free health care, sounds like a ER plan if I ever
heard one
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Although it was MEDICARE "Fraud" I think the concept is the same i.e., the Feds just arrested something like 38 folks down in south Florida for it.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me know how the food is in prision. If it is good your plan may be a good ER plan. :
Freein05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans
The best part is, you get free health care in prison.
That's right, free lodging, free health care, sounds like a ER plan if I ever
heard one
TJ
I hear its pretty easy toget a date there, too...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

It's very unusual for a group policy not to coordinate benefits with another group policy...In some states group policies are not permitted to coordinate against Individual health policies. When this is the case the Individual policy typically states that you are only eligible to obtain and continue coverage if you do not have coverage under a group policy.

Be sure to read the fine print...I have seen self-funded plans (where the employer not the insurance company pays the claims costs) that deny eligibility for a spouse or children who are eligible under another employer's plan..in effect they don't coordinate because you lose eligibility to participate. Tracy
Tracy42 is offline   Reply With Quote