GEHA HDHP? Anyone use it? Feedback?

movaly1

Dryer sheet aficionado
As "Open Season" approaches for U.S. Federal Employees, I am considering switching to the GEHA High Deductible Health Plan.... anyone use it? Have any positive or negative feedback?

I currently use BCBS Basic but am fortunate not to have any health problems at this point in my life so basically just use it for one physical per year. You never know when you will have a big health problem, but given my current situation, I would rather pocket some of those premiums into a HSA. I don't know anyone who uses GEHA HDHP though.

I have had GEHA basic for years and have looked at the HDHP plan a couple of times thinking I would come out ahead with the HSA. Looking back, I would have made out much better with HDHP since I have only used my plan for regular checkups/screenings. It seems like a great option for someone in good health, but I don't know anyone that has used the plan. If you do not go the HDHP route, GEHA basic is another one to consider as it has similar coverage to BCBS but is less expensive (being retired, I pay around $80/mo).

I haven't looked at the current GEHA offer but because I have medicare A & B GEHA pays for things not covered by medicare (like an annual physical) without co-pays & meds for a modest sum. I don't see how HDHP would provide value.

Last round GEHA was rated highest for those of us on medicare. While on that subject, we moved so must find other doc. It has been a huge hassle trying to find a physician not fresh off their residency who will accept new medicare patients. It doesn't matter that I have GEHA as medicare is primary.

After reading this I looked at the GEHA plans the basic looks like a great choice for the money . The cost is almost the same as the HDHP without the high deductible . Even if you have no health problems now you never know and can you afford that deductible if you a have a bad year .

I don't know how GEHA is now, but, when I had it many years ago, I found that there weren't many doctors in my area that honored that insurance. So...went back to BCBS.

Like Happy said...Ditto for me, too. When I had GEHA way back then, lots of Dr's offices would not know what it even was. Before switching, I would double check and look at the providers list to see what Dr's are in it.

Back
Top Bottom