Gel Shot - Arthritis

ARB57

Dryer sheet aficionado
I have osteoarthritis in one knee (nearly bone-on-bone). My doc has suggested trying a "gel" shot in the knee (Syncvisc One). Unfortunately, I have the one health insurer who does NOT cover this. Without the help of insurance, it'll run about $1300 per shot. Anybody have any experience with these injections?

My daughter has had all the knee surgeries that are possible on her left knee. The local orthopedic doctor said that's all they could do. We took her to the big city, and another orthopedic doctor gave her the "gel" shot in her knee, and it's lasted a few years.

My wife just had cortisone injections trying to partially heal her knees, and then the doctor's going to give her the "gel" shot in another month. He thinks it'll do a very good job.

My orthopedist has begun the preapproval process for me (right knee, lateral osteoarthritis, Stage 3) for the same injections. He said that my carrier (Anthem Blue Cross PPO) would deny the first request, and then the *real* approval fight would begin, and we would know in four to six weeks.

The doctor said that 60% of the patients have a good result with the series of shots (three to five shots, spaced a week apart), and that it takes a little time (a few days to a week or so) to know if it is working. "Good results" means they had much-reduced or no pain for four to six months, and could repeat the shots at intervals for several years before they stopped finding relief.

I will keep you posted on whether or not I get approved, and the results of the shots. I figured it was worth finding out sooner, rather than later, as I am very reluctant to go down the cortisone-shot route.

I had one in August. It has helped quite a lot although it's not perfect.

I've had the Syncvisc and Othovisc shots. Both worked well. If your knee isn't too far gone it can help a lot. My last shot was 14 months ago. I also take Vitamin D-3 and Glucosamine Chondroitin Tumeric Pills. The vitamin D has really helped.

I had the synvisc three shot. Three injections over three week period. I had to pay out of pocket because my deductible is 2600 bucks and I had not reached it yet. Ouch $1,300 bucks.

The shots did not work well for me. I'm bone on bone so it may have been to late by the time I tried them. I actually got more relief from the cortisone shots. My problem with the cortisone shots were they did not last long.

I'm scheduled for knee replacement on 12/5

Back
Top Bottom