Join Early Retirement Today

Get out your tape measures...
Old 11-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Get out your tape measures...

For all the skeptics in the recent BMI thread, here is some more information about obesity and mortality:

Simoson et al, Obesity 2007;15:994-1003

Studied about 40,000 people (both sexes) in Australia (a different ethnic stew than the USA), tried to correlate measures of obesity with overall mortality. Waist measurement and waist-to-hip ratios were the strongest predictors (better than BMI). For practical purposes, the waist measurement alone is just about as good as the ratio.

You measure waist circumference at the upper edge of your side pelvic bones (iliac crest) and keep the tape horizontal regardless of posture. 40 and 35 inches (men and women respectively) are clearly an important danger point, but it's a linear relationship. This is not generally the way you measure clothing, by the way. A good practice is to calculate the BMI and use the waist measurement to dampen errors resulting from high muscle mass, unusual body types, etc.

Waist-to-hip ratio for men should be less than 1 and for women less than 0.85 ideally. Above those levels risk rises steadily.

So, boys and girls, if you don't believe in the BMI get out the tape measure.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Waist-to-hip ratio for men should be less than 1 and for women less than 0.85 ideally. Above those levels risk rises steadily.
So Rich, this means if I ever find me a gal with a big booty she should last a good long time?

Ha
Old 11-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So Rich, this means if I ever find me a gal with a big booty she should last a good long time?

Ha
She'll probably "last" longer than you will .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
She'll probably "last" longer than you will .
LOL! That can be a problem!

Ha
Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
LOL! That can be a problem!

Ha
Well, women are the "superior" sex.........or is that they HAVE superior sex

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well, women are the "superior" sex.........or is that they HAVE superior sex
Excuse my clinical state of mind, but to me Superior means the one on top. Is that what you meant?

Old 11-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems that you young people always have your minds in the gutter
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can find easy woman in the gutter and you usually don't even have to buy them dinner.