Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alan....wow....I am amazed that you kept getting back on the table for the procedure....I think I would have ran out after the first hitch!

Rich_in_Tampa....do you think the procedure will be a lot less invasive and painful in the next 17 years?
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Alan....wow....I am amazed that you kept getting back on the table for the procedure....I think I would have ran out after the first hitch!

Rich_in_Tampa....do you think the procedure will be a lot less invasive and painful in the next 17 years?
I am looking forward to a time where someone just waves a tricorder sensor over my hind end.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Hmm, let me see: 17 years, eh? 50 - 17 = 33. So I'm guessing you're 33 yrs old.

Well my crystal ball tells me that a DNA marker for early colon cancer will be developed which would allow screening via the ever-popular stool sample. Positive results would then require a colonoscopy. The other 90% would not.

But who knows?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

I had a massive stomach ache for about a month 3 years ago. The doctors decided to do a colonoscopy at the same time as an Endoscopy. So I was probed from two directions at once. I vaguely remember watching the video screen and wondering which end was on the screen. Ended up having a lemon sized growth surrounding my appendix constricting the wall of my colon. Took antibiotics for three months until the growth reduced in size and then had an appendectomy.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had a sigmoidoscopy about 11 years ago,a nd it was clean. Never had a full colonoscopy. The virtual colonoscopy sounds interesting. Somewhere I think I read it is actually cheaper than pushing the scope up your insides? Plus no risk of bowl perferations from the scope.

Seems like a couple of significant advantages---especially if it turns out nothing bad spotted.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm due for one this month, 'cept can get an appt. until next month. I have one every 5 years since my mother was diagnosed with rectal cancer many many years ago. The only problem that I've had with my past 3 tests was terrible cramping one year. I think I began eating too much and too fast afterwards. Bad cramps - went to the ER just to make sure everything was ok and it was.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Plus no risk of bowl perferations from the scope.
That only happens if you have it done while eating cereal.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That only happens if you have it done while eating cereal.
Or have incredibly strong abdominal muscles ! Oops !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

I just ran across this thread, while chugging down HalfLytely (Now with FlavorPacks!) in prep for my second plumbing inspection, coming up tomorrow.

First one went well, with no problems. I had that one early to check on an 'anomaly'. It's been 12 years (I forgot...), so I'm past due.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm scheduled for my first next month.

I have a question for others about insurance coverage. It seems that my policy will pay (subject to my normal copay) if the procedure is done in a physician's office, but it will be subject to my deductible if it is done on an out-patient basis. Since I don't have any charges against my deductible this year, I'll have to pay the full amount. In my area, I don't know of any physicians who do these in their office.

Have most of you been covered by insurance or are you paying out of pocket?
Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Gail, I had mine last Friday and though all the paperwork isn't in the belief is that insurance is covering it. Mine is covered under "wellness checks" (not sure what the correct term in). i.e.; Insurance will cover one colonoscopy every x (5 or 10) years after age 50. Similar to annual blood work, periodic chest x-ray, etc.

t.r.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Apparently, the only way mine would be covered under my "wellness" plan is if it is done in a physician's office.

My thinking is, if I have to pay the entire cost, then I want to wait until after the first of the year so that it will apply to next year's deductible. It just doesn't make sense to pay out that much money this late in the calender year.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Can your physician recommend a doctor that does these in an office rather than a hospital? Our doc is in a practice that includes an "endoscopy center" at a separate office, and that was not considered outpatient so we paid only the copay.
PBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I waited until I had something that caused me to meet my deductible (hernia repair), so that it was free. Perhaps you can delay a year or two until you have some other medical expense.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Al, that's why I'll probably wait until the first of the year. I'm not inclined to postpone beyond that, since my mother died recently from colon cancer. Even though she was 93, I'm a little nervous.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

My experience with a procedure in an MD's office brought me to the conclusion that it was of limited value... and it wasn't a procedure that I want to repeat.

Years passed (at least 5) so I had one as an outpatient in a hospital which went well and turned out to have value. Frankly the anesthesia is why I would want to have the procedure in a full service facility.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Amen to the anesthesia; I really can't imagine having one in a doctor's office.

Dr.: "Are you getting sleepy?"
Me: "No."
Nurse: "You're in recovery and the procedure is over. You can get dressed and go home."
Old 11-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Me: "No."
Nurse: "You're in recovery and the procedure is over. You can get dressed and go home."
That's not bad, but this is better:

Me: "Oh, wow, man, this feels good. Oh, wow, I really..."
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

been there done that ... 1970 ... but I don't think I was in a Dr.s' office ...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

You all have hit on the main reason that I have reconciled myself to paying for this out patient procedure....I want all the drugs that they can legally provide!