Getting a prostate PSA test directly

This seems like a good description of what PSA is and other stuff. I have only watched the first part so not sure what he says later on.

He skips mentioning MRI before biopsy. He also does not mention ablation in the list of therapies. But his discussion of PSA and testing seemed pretty good although did not mention newer blood and urine genomic testing.

Last edited:
Sidebar - my doctor no longer does the "finger check" and seems to rely only on PSA results. Is that common?

My doc said he rarely does them any more. Of course, we decided together to stop doing PSA as well (due to age.)

I am 68. I only started to test PSA in 2022 and it was 3.9. PCP did not say anything. By end of 2023, it has risen to 5.3. PCP sent me to a urologist.

Urologist asked me to do urine test. ExoDX result is 18.77 (normal is <=15.6). He sent me to do 3T MRI, and 2 lesions found.

Urologist then scheduled a MRI fusion transperineal biopsy. After a stressful week, today he called me. All 13 diagnosis with 26 cores are benign. He said I am likely 90% cleared. The rest of 10% possibility if ever materialied, would be minor, and low risk. But still, he simply did not find that cancer, maybe in microscopic form.

He is sending my tissue for a Confirm MD test to see if prostate cancer can be detected. He will call me in a month to review the results.

He said to do another PSA in 6 months. I wanted to buy a test on my own, but I read that after biopsy, I need to wait 6 weeks to let my prostate heal, so I will order one at the end of March. Looks like Jasonhealth.com will cost only $33.00. If I add free PSA it is another $85.

Last edited:
^Thanks for sharing your experience and glad your biopsy was mainly negative.

Question: What additional does the free PSA test measure?

Last edited:
^Thanks for sharing your experience and glad your biopsy was mainly negative.

Question: What additional does the free PSA test measure?

free PSA indicates possibility of having prostate cancer. It comes as a percentage. The lower the percentage, the higher possibility of prostate cancer.

https://www.healthline.com/health/prostate-cancer-free-psa#results

Free PSA
Free PSA is measured as the proportion of free PSA to total PSA. Below is a table outlining the likelihood of finding prostate cancer based on the percentage of free PSA in men with a total PSA between 4ng/mL and 10 ng/mL, according to the Journal of American Medical AssociationTrusted Source.

Percentage of free PSA Probability of prostate cancer
0 –10% 56%
10% –15% 28%
15% –20% 20%
20% –25% 16%
Greater than 25% 8%

In my case, mine is 31.3%. My chances of having prostate cancer is < 8% according to this chart. But, there are many other tests and statistics that would give you the possibilities. The gold standard to detect prostate cancer is still the biopsy.

Back
Top Bottom