Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
One frustration is that I don't actually need Part B as I have employer health benefits (e.g., FEHB) in retirement. But I'm concerned about future changes to FEHB and feel more comfortable with both even if I am "over insured."
Despite my initial misgivings, similar to yours, I decided to go with both FEHB and Part B. I have to admit it is pretty terrific, overkill or not.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

I also have FEHB Blue Cross standard and was thinking about going to Blue Cross basic .Has anyone made this change? The rates keep going up and I am not sure I need all the coverage especially with medicare as primary .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
One frustration is that I don't actually need Part B as I have employer health benefits (e.g., FEHB) in retirement. But I'm concerned about future changes to FEHB and feel more comfortable with both even if I am "over insured."
Well, your Medicare coverage is secondary to FEHB, so it will only pay for something that FEHB doesn't cover.

I would also think that if FEHB should no longer apply to retirees, Social Security and Medicare would label this a one-time event and allow enrollment in to Part B with no premium surcharge, as you had coverage elsewhere.

- Rita
Old 12-04-2017, 01:50 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Well, your Medicare coverage is secondary to FEHB, so it will only pay for something that FEHB doesn't cover.

I would also think that if FEHB should no longer apply to retirees, Social Security and Medicare would label this a one-time event and allow enrollment in to Part B with no premium surcharge, as you had coverage elsewhere.

- Rita
I've always read that FEHB will be secondary to Medicare and FEHB will only reimburse up to the Medicare allowance or maybe it is up to the 115% limiting charge. You are probably correct about the one-time event. FEHB plans are being improved to coordinate better with Medicare Part B and Part B may have its advantages over FEHB. I have three years to make my decision.