Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yeah, like every time I go running. Or at least 80% of the time.

You haven't really said why you want to give it up. Just tired of doing it?
Yeah, I guess that's it...I just don't enjoy it as much as I used to.

Quote:
And it's not an all or nothing thing, right? You could run once or twice a week and do other things on the other days.
Point well taken. Actually, since I wrote the original post I've run a couple of times. I think my mind set is probably caught back in the days when I thought I had to run 5 or 6 days a week to do me any good. I supposed adopting a mind set like I have for weight workouts (2 or, at the most, 3 times a week) would be good.

Quote:
And I'm about to going running right now -- more fun with iPod touch.
I don't have a Touch, but I have an older iPod. I take books on CD out of the library, put them on my computer and download to my iPod. I listen to them when I'm running, doing other exercise, working in the yard, waiting in a doctor's office, etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can't believe you guys running into your 60s! My knees gave out in my early 30s. No more downhill skiing, and no more running or any other high-impact activity.

I still hike a lot, but I have to be careful to step lightly on the descent and also try not to twist my knees.

Audrey
Old 05-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #23

I quit running when the girls quit chasing me. It's been the best 40 years of my life.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty much the same as the OP. 40+ years of jogging and now looking at giving it up. DS commented to DW last visit that I was moving a bit "gingerly" and he was right. I think I'm tired of always feeling sore, even as I run 3-5 miles with little effort - the payback comes the next day.

Plan now is to walk most days with DW, 3 miles in a bit over 45 min, then twice a a week really pump the rowing machine.

Gravity always wins, but I'm gonna use very trick I know to stay strong, stable, and fit for my age as a matter of health and quality of life. A big step in that plan is to admit when I have to adjust the plan.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:44 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ran seriously up to about 35 (over 100 miles a week at times), then I foolishly didn't take a couple of days off when my P Tendons(knee) started bothering me. Now....2 operations on each of them and still they won't work as well which is to be expected. I am 52 now and would still be running 10+ miles a day if I could. Other exercises have never done for me (physically and mentally) what running has. I haven't run more than a mile or two in several years and between the tendons in the knees and a repeated calf injury....running isn't likely to be in my future anymore. Joints are perfect.....kind of like have a sports car but no gas in the tank..... biking is nice, but I get tired of people trying to run me off the road. Swimming I will do when I have no other choice....too much of a hassle although I am a good swimmer. Walking and biking will probably be it....at least once my calf heals up AGAIN from hurting it just walking 3 months ago. I think over the years, the people who have had the most trouble doing things like running aren't as good at just spacing out and daydreaming.....my theory anyway. I am VERY good at spacing out while exercising. After this long without running seriously, I don't really miss the competition.....but I really do miss the daily workouts....kind of a purification of a sort.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

If I ever give up running, it will probably be because of similar reasons as F4. I have Morton's neuroma in my right foot (nerve pinches and foot burns/hurts/goes numb). I have a recurring calf strain in my right leg that thankfully hasn't flared up in 5 years. Performis nerve pain in my right hip that's the biggest problem right now. And occasionally IT band syndrome in my right knee. All are likely related. Joints are pretty good though.

I've been given various stretches and strengthening exercises from PTs and others, but generally only do 2 or 3. Today I just compiled a list of 14 (so far) stretches and exercises to do every day to try to combat this. I hate stretching though, so this is going to be a chore. I'm also going to try to reduce meal portions to drop a few extra pounds.

Hopefully this will work. Before giving up running completely, I'd do even more on single track trails where you don't repeat the same stride over and over), or cut back since it usually doesn't bother me until I get into double digit miles.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

If evolution (or God) meant us to run, our knees would be facing the other way.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I can't believe you guys running into your 60s! My knees gave out in my early 30s. No more downhill skiing, and no more running or any other high-impact activity.
Audrey
Same here except it was my late 20's(now 30 1/2). Just yesterday, I was at a family gathering. My grandmother baked my brother and I some cookies. My brother got to the car first and took my bag and his and teased me with it. I ran after him for about 3 or 4 steps then I stopped and started limping. I've had to give up playing basketball and tennis in my mid 20's. If I need to kneel down to the ground, I need to grab something with my hand to help pull me up. I can't just get up with my knees alone. I'm not overweight in fact i'm underweight and i'm only 30 years old. Don't know how some people can do those things into their sixties.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

I've been given various stretches and strengthening exercises from PTs and others, but generally only do 2 or 3. Today I just compiled a list of 14 (so far) stretches and exercises to do every day to try to combat this. I hate stretching though, so this is going to be a chore.
Stretching is something I know I should be doing at my age, but just can't make myself do it on a regular basis. I've made a couple of attempts at yoga thinking that I'd get the benefits of stretching while doing something other than just stretching. But I can't really get into the spiritual aspects of it. My wife, on the other hand, is a fairly dedicated yogi going twice a week for a good workout. She, like me, prefers to get her spirituality at church but seems to tolerate the meditative aspects of it better than I do.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 65½ and last Saturday ran a half marathon in 2:10:14. Slower than my PR from 1981 (1:25) but plenty fast for this old, fat body. My knees and other joints are fine. I will continue to run as long as I can. In fact, I am signed up to run a full marathon on June 12, another one on September 18, and then another one in February 2011.

But I run only 3 times a week. I also swim, bike, and lift weights. I will do an Olympic triathlon on July 31.

But frankly, the main (but not the only) reason I continue to run is because I have lots of friends and family who run. Two sons-in-law, a son, and a daughter-in-law ran the race last Saturday. Several of them will run the marathons with me (well, they'll be in the same race, but ahead of me). I love the camaraderie and the bonding of doing these races together.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

On a long shot I just bought a pair of Nike Free Run + shoes. The concept is a very light shoe, fully flexible, more like a "bootie." It is from the "barefoot" running craze where the idea is to run with only enough padding for road hazard protection. Your foot plant is moved forward away from the heel and toward the toes to about the mid-to-front of the arch (which his what happens when running barefoot..

Day one: 3 miles of walk and run, no problem. I gradually increased and have now done about 5 runs in the 3-5 mile range. Other than a few foot aches from the non-structural shoes (improving today), no problem. Surprisingly my usual post-run day back pain has not recurred.

Too soon to tell, but I am glad to be back running.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #32

Ah yes, running - I'm still in the Reserves and have a timed run every six months now - umm, I don't like running that much. Used to do a bit of it (not the types of mileage you all did!) but enough to keep slim. It worked to keep the weight down in my early 20's/30's. Had to add weight lifting in my late 30's 40's - need to get back into it. I tore my ACL and that put me out of commission for awhile. I was just grateful I could jog afterwards - oh and then I love my downhill skiing.

However, the feeling after running is nice - you feel proud you did it (if you had to overcome your mental I don't wanna), and there is a bit of a rush or flush. Even a walk-run can do that - the machines don't give you the same feeling - maybe being outside is part of it, too.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #33

I don't see any point in running if you don't really enjoy it, so I'm kind of mystified by those who complain about it.

I'm in my mid-60s, and have run 3-5 days a week for 40 years. Back in my 30s, that meant 40-50 miles a week, but now it's only about 15. Nonetheless, I still enjoy it enough that I look forward to every run, no matter the weather.

Did my first marathon at age 58, then did three more in the next few years. All were over 5 hours, so I'm obviously an extreme slowpoke, but I still enjoyed them despite the pain in the quads.

Now and then, I'll develop a problem with either my left knee or my right ankle, and will have to take a few weeks off, but with good orthotics in my shoes and trying for a rest day after most runs, I expect to keep doing it for a while yet.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #34

At 55 I still jog but not for long distances...maybe a max of two miles once a week and often at the high school track. I have a gym membership and walk/jog on a machine once or twice week for half an hour. Sometimes trade off to an elliptical for thirty minutes or the rowing machines, or just take a yoga class. I find if I mix it up, I don't get as stiff.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #35

Two more points while I'm thinking of it:

You need the right kind of running shoes. Depending on your weight, the width of your feet, the degree you over- or under-pronate, and the style of running you prefer, there is bound to be a selection of shoes designed for you. Find a really good running shoe store and get some guidance.

Also, many runners tend to forget that the cushioning ability of running shoes diminishes both from time since manufacture and miles run in them.

Over 40 years of running, I've determined that if my current pair of shoes either:
a. is more than two years old
or
b. has more than 300-400 miles, I need to replace them.

Under those conditions, I always notice a very distinct difference in the cushioning, and let's face it, as we age our cartilage needs all the help it can get.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #36

Good point, Braumeister, about properly fitting running shoes. I have several pairs and rotate them. As our feet age, they lose the fat padding on the soles. Also, one's shoe size can change over time. I am partial to a particular brand of shoe and also very much prefer Thorlo running socks to any other. I have to admit to being slightly miffed about the fat pads on my feet thinning while everything else seems to want to bust out at the seams despite much effort
Old 05-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #37

Boy, you got that right!
I have been pretty much amazed at how my shoe size has gone from 10 when I was in college all the way to 12 now that I'm in my 60s.
I have very narrow feet, so I've always been a New Balance shoe fan, and I definitely agree with you on the Thorlo socks.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I found many years ago that Asics GT-XXXX (Right now, XXXX = 2140) were right for my feet. I have bought them ever since--every 300-400 miles, as per Braumeister's recommendation.

FYI, I ran a half marathon two weeks ago, in 2:10. Today, I did a 17-mile training run and will do a sloooooow marathon in 2 weeks, my first in 2 or 3 years. Yes, I'll keep running for a while.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #39

I seem to do well with New Balance. I have narrow feet. In street shoes I take a size 9, half a size larger in the NB.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I seem to do well with New Balance.
I like New Balance. Don't run, but they sure are good walking shoes. I bought a pair of Addias hiking shoes a few years ago for some trail hiking in Colorado. I've had them 8 years and I still use them on natural hiking trails. Something like these......

adidas - Terrex EVO Swift Low Shoes - Hiking

To the OP, do what you enjoy at this point. You can get plenty of exercise hiking, biking, gym work or a variety of things. Mine come from walking/hiking with the mutt, playing golf, yard work, and yes......retrieving med's from the frig.