Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2022, 06:30 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I've actually commented on both computer bifocals and single vision glasses in this thread. I'll probably try the single vision first to get some idea of how much help they provide, or whether my lazy, weaker right eye limits how well I can focus on a computer monitor.
In my experience, it’s definitely a trial and error process. The more information you gain, the better you’ll be able to help someone fit you. Once you get dialed in, it’s a lot easier.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2022, 02:25 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I understand the issue you are all describing related to glasses and reading but has anyone tried contact lenses?

I have worn contact lenses for near sightedness for years and love the convenience. I also needed reading glasses with them. I discussed this with my ophthalmologist when my prescription changed several years ago.

After trying several types of lenses, we settled on Alcon Aqua-comfort Plus Dailies, multi-focal lenses.

They work like progressive lenses allowing me great vision for distance AND reading. I do work at a computer and find no issues or need for any other vision correction. These were a game changer for me and I got rid of every damn pair of reading glasses I used to keep (or forget to bring) around.

Contact lenses might not be for everyone but since I wore them already, this was a simple solution to the eternal reading glasses [emoji851] issue!
Old 04-17-2022, 12:04 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I got Costco's multi-functional glasses for computer work. It's like a regular progressive in that there are multiple powers but the key difference is that the main center part of the lens is for computer work and top is for distance and the bottom is for small print. I like these better than the single power prescription computer glasses I had previously. Anti-glare and blue light block are included which has drastically reduced my headaches from eye strain. Here is a link to the description on Costco's website.

https://www.costco.com/optical.html#computer

Most of my computer work is at a desk with keyboard tray and a 32" 4K monitor just over arm's length away. I have been using these Costco lenses for a few years, they work great for me, giving me clear vision of the keyboard, papers on the desk, and the monitor at the back edge.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Before my cataract surgery, I used computer glasses. They were progressive lenses with the top optimized for computer distance and the bottom optimized for reading. I wanted that so I could read papers on my desk without having to switch glasses.

'''
That said -- when I had cataract surgery my main vision outcome that I was shooting for was to not need computer glasses. I didn't mind having to wear reading glasses or even distance glasses but I didn't want computer glasses. I did achieve that with my surgery and so no longer wear glasses on the computer at all.
Makes sense. I went for distance vision in both eyes. Although I can use reading glasses for computer less magnification is better. I got a variety pack of readers from Amazon so I could optimize. I have +1.5 to +3.25 left after giving away the others.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Many computer monitors have a 'blue light' setting that can be adjusted to reduce the amount of blue light being used. It is more useful to use that option, rather than using 'blue light filtering' glasses.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:02 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue light option is great, IMO, for your eyes. I use the computer a LOT and using these helped reduce eye-aches.

If you save up enough money you can have someone do the reading for you
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREarly View Post
Blue light option is great, IMO, for your eyes. I use the computer a LOT and using these helped reduce eye-aches.
You get eye-aches? Yow, that would be very disturbing to me. I don't get eye-aches, just itchy eyes from allergies or whatever.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #48

I use computer glasses. I’ve had this pair so long I don’t know the prescription, and my regular progressive glasses prescription has changed at least once since I got them. They also work well for reading music.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:19 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I wear progressive lens glasses that have a 1.5 adjustment for reading and I basically wear them all the time, although I can get by without glasses more so for distance than up close. I have heard that computer glasses should be 1/2 the power of reading glasses as the distance to the screen is further than when reading a book. For those that wear computer glasses with an Rx factor, how do you like them and do you believe it's worth buying a pair for computer use? Also, what about blue light filtering, good, bad or meaningless?
I consider computer glasses a must. They are also good to have when you are working with your hands or at an arms length. For example using a screwdriver, painting a wall, etc. where the focus may not be perfect for every task but can provide a clearer view as you position yourself relative to the task at hand.

As others have stated, it is somewhat trial and error as you may want your monitor a few inches closer or further away depending on your desk, monitor size, etc. I recommend buying some cheap ones online to help you figure out which Rx and frames work best.

I don't include blue light filtering, as I do not consider it essential and most devices and operating systems are starting to support that in software. I do typically include the AR and Oleophobic coatings. Your preferences may differ.

When I went searching for information about eyeglasses a few years ago I expected to find everything well explained regarding the different lens materials, coatings, progressive vs bifocals vs single vision, relationship between head size vs frame width/size vs pupil distance, ... but it was not presented very well by any one website. I had just gotten a first pair of eyeglasses which were progressive and I could barely wear them as they had so much distortion and gave the world too much tilt. The optician remade them a second time and the titling sensation diminished but overall I still did not like them. Over the next year I ended up getting 6-7 pairs of single/bifocal glasses online for less than that first pair which never gets worn.

A few links that discuss how to convert your prescription, which may be getting dated as I have not researched this in about two years:
https://www.glassesshop.com/doc/how-...y-prescription
https://healthfully.com/make-own-eye-chart-5113089.html
https://healthfully.com/convert-bifo...n-7370618.html
https://www.aclens.com/How-to-Read-Y...s-Prescription
https://www.specsexpert.com/how-to-c...scription.html
https://www.allaboutvision.com/lenses/how-to-choose.htm
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:16 AM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
I wear progressive lens glasses that have a 1.5 adjustment for reading and I basically wear them all the time, although I can get by without glasses more so for distance than up close. I have heard that computer glasses should be 1/2 the power of reading glasses as the distance to the screen is further than when reading a book. For those that wear computer glasses with an Rx factor, how do you like them and do you believe it's worth buying a pair for computer use? Also, what about blue light filtering, good, bad or meaningless?

Along with my last set of multi focal glasses, I bought a pair of computer glasses from Costco. I spend at least 8 hours a day staring at a computer screen. I can think of no other purchase that improved my day like those $130 glasses. Highly recommended!
Jkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:24 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don’t need glasses for driving or reading but for the computer they are a huge help. Buy them from the pharmacy and keep a +1, +1.5 and a +2 in the drawer for varying sitting positions. So cheap it is worth it. Also have a bifocal pair of sunglasses for driving that help with that short middle distance to read the dash or the GPS
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:49 AM   #52
gone traveling

I appreciate everyones input on this subject. The main reason I am investigating is because I currently wear progressives and need to tilt my head to read some portions of my computer screen and that tilting gets tiring. Anyway, due to my perhaps unusual Rx, I ordered a pair from Zenni. Reasonable enough in price, although a little more expensive than the off shelf variety with fixed magnification in both lenses. I did not opt for blue light filtering as I want to get into photographic editing and did not want that to introduce any off color bias.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:33 PM   #53

Quote:
I appreciate everyones input on this subject. The main reason I am investigating is because I currently wear progressives and need to tilt my head to read some portions of my computer screen and that tilting gets tiring. Anyway, due to my perhaps unusual Rx, I ordered a pair from Zenni. Reasonable enough in price, although a little more expensive than the off shelf variety with fixed magnification in both lenses. I did not opt for blue light filtering as I want to get into photographic editing and did not want that to introduce any off color bias.
You commented on us having similar prescriptions, so I look forward to your feedback on the Zenni glasses. I had everything entered on their website, but then saw I needed an account. I already have more online accounts than I care to deal with, most that I cannot deactivate.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 12:55 PM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
You commented on us having similar prescriptions, so I look forward to your feedback on the Zenni glasses. I had everything entered on their website, but then saw I needed an account. I already have more online accounts than I care to deal with, most that I cannot deactivate.
Will definitely provide an update. I really wish more businesses allowed customers to check out as guests to avoid setting up an account.
Old 04-20-2022, 03:59 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
Makes sense. I went for distance vision in both eyes. Although I can use reading glasses for computer less magnification is better. I got a variety pack of readers from Amazon so I could optimize. I have +1.5 to +3.25 left after giving away the others.
Do you have a link for that variety pack? Thanks. I spent an hour today searching Amazon for a pack of reading glasses with different magnifications, and couldn't find any. I was probably using the wrong search terms.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:29 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have both computer glasses and reading glasses. Many pairs. My prescription add is +2 diopters, so I split it for computer, +1 and take the full add +2 for reading.

Whenever I get new numbers I go online and shop the Chinese glasses suppliers. I am not at all fussy about frame cosmetics, so I can always find sales with two single-vision pairs for $25.00 plus shipping. I typically buy four reading glasses so I can have a pair near every chair where I read + one for travel, and I buy two computer glasses pairs. For frames, I buy brown or gold, for reading I buy black. I don't buy any of the add-on coatings.

The way to order single vision is to take the spere correction and add the "add" number that you want. So if your sphere is -3 and your add is +1.5, your single vision sphere number is -1.5 and the other numbers stay the same.

In our state, an optician is not allowed to make glasses without an prescription from a doctor. Nice little gouge for the doctors. So I can't buy locally and pay the US ripoff prices. Not that I would anyway.
Please message me the off shore company you get your glasses from.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdL3 View Post
Please message me the off shore company you get your glasses from.

Thanks
See post #37
Old 04-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #58
gone traveling

Received my Zenni computer glasses today. These are fantastic, no more head tilting with the progressives and screen is much clearer as well. Frame seems very high quality and overall this turned out way better than I imagined. I opted for the 1.61 hi index lenses with anti-reflective coating. Cost $31.85
Old 04-25-2022, 05:58 PM   #59

Quote:
Received my Zenni computer glasses today. These are fantastic, no more head tilting with the progressives and screen is much clearer as well. Frame seems very high quality and overall this turned out way better than I imagined. I opted for the 1.61 hi index lenses with anti-reflective coating. Cost $31.85
Thanks for the update. Did you opt for single vision or bifocal for computer use? I'm going to bite the bullet and create yet another online account to purchase glasses for computer use.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:25 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Thanks for the update. Did you opt for single vision or bifocal for computer use? I'm going to bite the bullet and create yet another online account to purchase glasses for computer use.
I went for single vision. My progressives are fine for most uses, but looking at my monitor required too much neck cranking to make the whole screen clear.