Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2022, 06:41 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I went for single vision. My progressives are fine for most uses, but looking at my monitor required too much neck cranking to make the whole screen clear.
Congratulations. You've solved a problem and saved a ton of money.

Since you went for single vision, how are they for reading something, like looking at your phone or reading a book?

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2022, 07:52 AM   #62
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Congratulations. You've solved a problem and saved a ton of money.

Since you went for single vision, how are they for reading something, like looking at your phone or reading a book?
Actually quite good, provided I hold the book or phone at least 14 - 16" away.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:14 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Actually quite good, provided I hold the book or phone at least 14 - 16" away.
When I order computer glasses I do the calculations and use the ADD component so I have progressives. I don't have to tilt my head when looking at the computer and I can easily read things held in my hands without needing to extend my hands.

The reason people have to tilt their head with progressives when looking at a computer screen is because the intermediate distance component of the lens is quite small and near distance component is not much bigger and is at the bottom of the lens. Like this:

Zenni Progressives.jpg

Zenni does have an option where they will build a set of progressive glasses from your regular prescription, no calculations necessary, for a couple of applications. Like this:

Zenni Progressive Options.jpg

I've never done this, always used the calculation method, but I think next time I will give it a try.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:36 AM   #64
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
When I order computer glasses I do the calculations and use the ADD component so I have progressives. I don't have to tilt my head when looking at the computer and I can easily read things held in my hands without needing to extend my hands.

The reason people have to tilt their head with progressives when looking at a computer screen is because the intermediate distance component of the lens is quite small and near distance component is not much bigger and is at the bottom of the lens. Like this:

Attachment 42293

Zenni does have an option where they will build a set of progressive glasses from your regular prescription, no calculations necessary, for a couple of applications. Like this:

Attachment 42294

I've never done this, always used the calculation method, but I think next time I will give it a try.
For reading a book, I usually have the book in my lap, so no real adjustment needed for that with the computer glasses. One other observation I discovered by accident, when I used to get an eyelash stuck in the bottom of my lid, it was very difficult for me to see with my progressive lenses, but now I can inspect the bottom of my eyelid with great clarity when looking in a mirror, although not a good reason to opt for these type of glasses.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Do you have a link for that variety pack? Thanks. I spent an hour today searching Amazon for a pack of reading glasses with different magnifications, and couldn't find any. I was probably using the wrong search terms.
Sorry, my fault. Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/383767700905
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
Thank you!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote