Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Which "sugary chocolate bomb cereal" was given a seal telling us it was "good for heart health"? Who awarded the seal? Did the FDA send them a cease and desist letter?

The truth is that the "Standard American Diet" with a lot of sugars and trans-fats was never recommended by anybody. Taubes et al. are arguing against strawmen.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
but to the extent they are increasing, I would think our present germ phobia could be a big cause?
That is the theory I subscribe to... and have for many years.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
N=1. Do what works for you.
+1
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Gluten Free
Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Gluten Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
Which "sugary chocolate bomb cereal" was given a seal telling us it was "good for heart health"? Who awarded the seal? Did the FDA send them a cease and desist letter?

The truth is that the "Standard American Diet" with a lot of sugars and trans-fats was never recommended by anybody. Taubes et al. are arguing against strawmen.

http://fdaissues.blogspot.com/2008/0...t-healthy.html

"Consider that they've bestowed (for a fee) their heart-healthy seal on Lucky Charms, Trix, and Cocoa Puff cereals, in addition to Yoo-hoo Chocolate Drink, and Healthy Choice's Caramel Swirl Ice Cream."

http://www.cureality.com/blog/post/2...t-healthy.html

"Until recently, Cocoa Puffs enjoyed the endorsement of the American Heart Association (AHA) as a heart-healthy food. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent..._past_advocacy

"One example surrounds the organization's reversal of position on the question of trans fats during the 1980 and 1990s. During the 1980s, CSPI's campaign "Saturated Fat Attack" advocated the replacement of beef tallow, palm oil and coconut oil at fast food restaurants,[18] while maintaining that trans fats were comparatively benign.[19] In a 1986 pamphlet entitled "The Fast-Food Guide", it praised chains such as KFC that had converted to partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, which are lower in saturated fat but high in trans fat. As a result of this pressure, many restaurants such as McDonald's made the switch.[18][20] From the mid-1990s onward, however, CSPI identified trans fats as the greater public health danger.[21]"

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trans-fa...bia-1436131415
(Probably behind a pay wall)

"the irony is that government helped to introduce trans fats into the U.S. food supply. The mania over saturated fats in the 1980s was stoked by a series of studies out of the FDA and the National Academy of Sciences that linked those lipids to heart disease. Pressure groups like the Center for Science in the Public Interest then targeted food manufacturers for “poisoning Americans” and promoted partially hydrogenated oils as healthier alternatives to lard, butter and coconut oil."

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

I agree that for most people who aren't trying to manage celiac disease, gluten-free is another trend that's not really going to make them thinner and better-looking. A friend from HS made an interesting observation, though: she doesn't have celiac disease but claims that she feels much better on a gluten-free or low-gluten diet. When she went on a trip to Slovenia, she found that the baked goods there didn't aggravate her system like the ones here. Count me among the Food Conspiracy Theorists if you will, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were due to less processing and simpler ingredients in the food in Slovenia.
Count me among the "gluten insensitive" group, which is much larger than those with Celiac disease.

After months of feeling bloated after eating pasta, and having a "foggy head" in the morning after eating wheat cereal, and various other stomach cramps that I could trace to eating white bread, I gave up gluten as a test. My weight dropped from 128 lb to 124lb in four days, and eventually settled at 122-123 and was very steady.* My ankles stopped collecting fluid and my tennis elbow issue stopped hurting so much. My thinking was clear and more focused. I have no doubt that I can trace my "feeling better" overall to giving up gluten. I may eat a tiny bit now and then, but no way would I eat wheat cereal, wheat bread, or wheat pasta when there are so many great options.

Anyone in the Southwest can find Canyon Bakehouse's bread in the freezer at Whole Foods and other supermarkets, and when it's toasted you can't tell it's gluten free.

I would suggest that anyone who feels abdominal bloating that they can't explain, or a foggy head and fuzzy thinking, go on a strict gluten-free diet for one month. You might be surprised.

I was encouraged to try this test after reading "Wheat Belly" book that I borrowed.

* I should add that before this test I would have trouble losing even 1 pound, and could only lose any weight by following a strict diet and exercising heavily. So 4 lbs in less than a week was a clear indication that something was amiss. I had been around 128-130 for a few years.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's odd that neither General Mills nor the AHA mention the big Lucky Charms endorsement. You would think they would put it on the packaging. I see you've included an article from a supplements salesman saying that it is true, though, so it must be. I did, however, find an article from The Onion noting that Lucky Charms now contain 15% less leprechaun meat.

https://generalmills.com/en/Brands/C...d-product-list

In the 1980s, the AHA published a list of "eat this" not "that" foods. They suggested that instead of eating a big gooey dessert, you eat "a piece of fruit, a hard candy or two, or chew a stick of sugar free gum". Nina Teicholz has used that for years to claim that the AHA "encourages people to eat candy". Technically true, but somewhat of a misdirect....
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:19 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Mexican is pretty safe.
Watch out though for the rice and flour tortillas
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
Watch out though for the rice and flour tortillas
Rice?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Plain rice is g-free but sometimes the rice at Mexican restaurants has a spice on it that contains gluten. Unfortunately, I know that from experience.
outdoorgirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A quick follow-up to post #62 (pg4)

The Oslo research team has developed a blood test for celiac disease currently undergoing phase 2 clinical trials. Designed as a stand-alone test, there will be no need for the duodenal biopsy and apparently the subject can remain on a gluten-free diet. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the trials regarding non-celiac gluten sensitivity.

Simplified diagnosis of coeliac disease - Institute of Clinical Medicine

Concurrently, they (and partners) have developed a vaccine, also at phase 2 trial status. Info from one of the developers - Cambridge, MA based Immusan T -

Technology « ImmusanT
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote