Join Early Retirement Today

GoodRX
Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

GoodRX

While I have health insurance my dog does not. She has epilepsy and is on two different drugs. Using GoodRX for her has yielded very reasonable prices on her drugs. You have to call the pharmacy ahead to see if they will use the GoodRX coupon for pets (some don't - alot do). Wanted to share.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We get our dogs meds at Costco. Have you done a price comparison? GoodRX may be useful for me. Thanks
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have health insurance that's useless when it comes to formulary. My dogs have none.

Goodrx saves me hundreds on medication I need but my insurance won't cover. So in addition to the premiums, I pay $250 a month for needed medication.

Do you use Goodrx for flea, tick, heartworms meds or dual use meds.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My doc sent a prescription straight to Costco where I picked it up - $48. When I got home I found I could have gotten it for $12 with a GoodRx coupon at another pharmacy.

Still pissed.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last week I refilled a prescription, and the pharmacist smugly said "that will be $127". Last month I had paid $25 for it at that same pharmacy, thanks to Goodrx. And so I showed them the Goodrx info again, and they reduced the price to $25 again. It makes me angry to think of the elderly customers who might not use the internet, who get taken advantage of by pharmacies/drug co's. I'm all for a reasonable profit margin, but 5X seems a bit greedy.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My doc sent a prescription straight to Costco where I picked it up - $48. When I got home I found I could have gotten it for $12 with a GoodRx coupon at another pharmacy.

Still pissed.
Yeah, I had a similar learning experience. Now I just ask my doc for the old fashioned paper script. Then I go to my car and check prices on GoodRx on my phone.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #7

How does GoodRx make these discounts happen?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Yeah, I had a similar learning experience. Now I just ask my doc for the old fashioned paper script. Then I go to my car and check prices on GoodRx on my phone.
Same here. My meds are $150 out of pocket if I submit to insurance or $27 if I just use GoodRX.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Here's an article about their model. I'm not sure of the source but it's a clearer description than many. They go into some of the discounts and reasons for their traffic but it's still a little fuzzy on detail.

https://www.quora.com/Does-GoodRX-ha...business-model
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Last week I refilled a prescription, and the pharmacist smugly said "that will be $127". Last month I had paid $25 for it at that same pharmacy, thanks to Goodrx. And so I showed them the Goodrx info again, and they reduced the price to $25 again. It makes me angry to think of the elderly customers who might not use the internet, who get taken advantage of by pharmacies/drug co's. I'm all for a reasonable profit margin, but 5X seems a bit greedy.
Just curious: Have you checked your mutual funds holdings to see if you own any of those pharmacies/drug co's either directly or indirectly?
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Just curious: Have you checked your mutual funds holdings to see if you own any of those pharmacies/drug co's either directly or indirectly?
I don't see the relevance. Ripping people off is shameful whether you are wearing a mask, a white coat or a suit.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Here's an article about their model. I'm not sure of the source but it's a clearer description than many. They go into some of the discounts and reasons for their traffic but it's still a little fuzzy on detail.

https://www.quora.com/Does-GoodRX-ha...business-model
My doctor told me about GoodRX.

I went to the nearest Safeway to pick it up. They didn't even take the coupon and told me I wouldn't have to bring it again.

Then I got another prescription of the same drug, only for 3 months instead of just a month and again, they didn't bother with the coupon.

And they actually charged me a little less than the GoodRX price.

So this particular Safeway isn't remitting a commission back to GoodRX.

My doctor thinks it's some tech startup funded by VC money. So it may not be a sustainable model, perhaps something to enjoy while it lasts.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I think that is similar to asking how they make money, which they try to answer here:

https://support.goodrx.com/hc/en-us/...Rx-make-money-
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #14

Quote:
I don't see the relevance. Ripping people off is shameful whether you are wearing a mask, a white coat or a suit.
Indeed. I think it's shameful they are taking advantage of the most vulnerable among us.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Indeed. I think it's shameful they are taking advantage of the most vulnerable among us.
True very true. Anytime you can't find out what any product really costs there's an opportunity for unfair pricing.

It's ironic that illegal drug dealers have more ethics surrounding the price of their products.[emoji6]
Old 07-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #16

I went on Medicare last December and I was very unhappy with my Part D Prescription Plan. I take seven drugs for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Under my old pre-65 Medical Plan from my previous employer, I was paying a little less than $100 for a 90 day supply. Under my new Medicare Part D Plan, those same drugs cost me about $350 for a 90 day supply! Plus a $375 deductible!

Well, when I saw this thread I checked GoodRX and I can buy these drugs for about $165 less than I've been paying through Medicare. Nice potential savings. I think I'll switch over next refill. I might also drop the Part D (save another $300), if I can pick it back up later if I need it.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #17

I used lowestmeds for the cat's meds. The site will show you which stores in your zipcode accept it and the price it would be once you enter the Rx info. Big difference between the prices at each store too!
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 02:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
........ I might also drop the Part D (save another $300), if I can pick it back up later if I need it.
Don't drop it, just go to the cheapest plan.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Now I just ask my doc for the old fashioned paper script.
Doctors offices must get kickbacks or something because it's like pulling teeth to get them to generate the paper prescription nowadays. They put "your regular pharmacy" in their system. I asked that they remove the default pharmacy (so they'd be forced to use paper), but I couldn't even get them to remove it! Thankfully, I'm down to taking zero Rx prescriptions.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't drop it, just go to the cheapest plan.
Agreed- if you don't sign up or have a long lapse in coverage and then try to re-enroll (say, after you need a load of expensive prescriptions), you'll pay premium surcharges that will last the rest of your life. The idea is that you're gaming the system (and raising overall costs) for everybody by waiting till you have expensive prescriptions and then signing up. I'm on zero prescriptions right now and am enrolled in a very cheap plan.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote