Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Gotta lose some LB's
Old 11-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Some of us might see this as long-overdue vengeance
Yeah. I find that there is very little sympathy in the world for a size 4 who's suddenly a 6 or 8. Sigh.

I hope you are right about the muscle mass. I have absurdly huge calves - I guess from biking a lot years ago. They were pretty flabby, but are now feeling a little better... Now to keep up the jogging in the dark wind and rain...that will be the challenge.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have lost 16 pounds since October 1st of this year. Wakeup call was my GP, who said she wants me to lose 50 POUNDS!!

I have gotten a little more exercise, but mostly I did it by THINKING about what I ate and why.........and I dsicovered I was snacking all day for no reason........

Bottom line? Non-fat pretzels don't mean you can eat a whole bag, etc.........

But, the test will be from now untio New Years Eve..........this time of a year is a TEST to all dieters............I'll let you know how Thanksgiving goes...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Now to keep up the jogging in the dark wind and rain...that will be the challenge.
Also potentially dangerous, from traffic or predators. Try a health club. The are well lit, full of energy, after a few visits people greet you with friendliness- it costs a few bucks but IMO it is worth it.

Ha
Old 11-20-2006, 01:42 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since retiring 7/1 this year - I have lost 12 lbs and I'm back in my 32s. I always knew the company paid lunches and dinners were gettin me!

Also have been working out - best part - w/ my 12 yos- great time together.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #25

I have lost 5 lbs in the last two weeks. I have gone on the South Beach diet. I thought it would be very hard to give up rice and salty chips, but it's not so bad. The meal plans allow for eating six times a day.

The hardest part is having to plan meals instead of just eating what I want. I deviated somewhat from the meal plans so did not lose the 8 to 10 pounds estimated for the first two weeks. I am now in Phase 2 where I can reintroduce more foods like oatmeal, fruits, etc.

I've started to run but only on the weekends; I walk almost everyday to catch the bus--not very long walks, maybe 4 to 5 blocks, but they help. I want to get back to lifting light weights but I'll just wait until after the holidays.

Good luck, Bobot!
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Also potentially dangerous, from traffic or predators. Try a health club. The are well lit, full of energy, after a few visits people greet you with friendliness- it costs a few bucks but IMO it is worth it.

Ha
Yeah, I'm thinking about it. But I've joined 2-3 times before, and end up not going and being annoyed at myself for wasting money.

We run on the high school track so traffic is not a problem, and SO at least, and usually several other joggers and soccer players and ultimate frisbeers and such are around. But a nice dry health club is sounding better and better.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I have lost 16 pounds since October 1st of this year. Wakeup call was my GP, who said she wants me to lose 50 POUNDS!!

I have gotten a little more exercise, but mostly I did it by THINKING about what I ate and why.........and I dsicovered I was snacking all day for no reason........

Bottom line? Non-fat pretzels don't mean you can eat a whole bag, etc.........

But, the test will be from now untio New Years Eve..........this time of a year is a TEST to all dieters............I'll let you know how Thanksgiving goes...........
One thing I have found very helpful is to always serve your food. Even if it's a snack, put a portion on a (not so big) plate.

That mindless eating will get you.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now to keep up the jogging in the dark wind and rain...that will be the challenge.
People think that Navy SEALS are crazy for working under those conditions, too! I wonder if those endorphins kick in quicker when the conditions are worse?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm thinking about it. But I've joined 2-3 times before, and end up not going and being annoyed at myself for wasting money.
But a nice dry health club is sounding better and better.
We've done all of the above-- outdoor tracks, fitness centers, and home gyms.

The only truly effective option for us (unless you're next door to the fitness center) has been the home gym. When our kid says that she's going to run 3x/week it only takes a minute for us to call her bluff her to get going on the treadmill. Even with a nearby fitness center there's the hours, the traffic, forgetting your water bottle, the crowds, and so on. The big advantage of the fitness center is that you can try a bunch of different machines, pick out the ones you like, and then wait for Craigslist to sell them at 75% off retail. In our case it was talking with the staff in the cruise ship's fitness center.

If your calves are bulked up from bicycling then you must've had one heckuvan Olympic-class ankle turn. The good news is that if you're not cycling as much then in three or four years they'll gradually assume more normal dimensions.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
People think that Navy SEALS are crazy for working under those conditions, too! I wonder if those endorphins kick in quicker when the conditions are worse?
I think that they do. If you have the personality for it. I like to imagine myself persevering through insurmountable odds. That's hard on the treadmill. I would have done something like being a SEAL if I'd been male, I think. I've always had a weird fascination for the extreme - I don't want to just backpack for a week, I want to hike the whole PCT. I don't want to just climb Mt. Baker, I want to climb Everest. I know that's nuts, and I never will, but it fascinates me.

Quote:
We've done all of the above-- outdoor tracks, fitness centers, and home gyms.
The only truly effective option for us (unless you're next door to the fitness center) has been the home gym. The big advantage of the fitness center is that you can try a bunch of different machines, pick out the ones you like, and then wait for Craigslist to sell them at 75% off retail.
I agree. But this house is too small. No garage, no basement. One spare room filled with desks and computers. Not even room for SO's weight bench, though I encouraged him to wedge it between the computers and the futon.

Quote:
If your calves are bulked up from bicycling then you must've had one heckuvan Olympic-class ankle turn. The good news is that if you're not cycling as much then in three or four years they'll gradually assume more normal dimensions.
I don't know much about muscles, obviously. I always assumed it was the biking because that was my main activity from about age 10-18. I ran cross-country some too, but it's been almost 30 years since then, and they're still there here. Maybe I just have freakishly huge calves naturally. Makes it hard to wear those cute high boots, or pencil thin jeans.

So what would be a good sport for a person with freakishly large calf muscles to take up?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #30

I have a really small house too, I bought a fold up treadmill, takes up very little space.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I have a really small house too, I bought a fold up treadmill, takes up very little space.
What brand is it?
Old 11-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #32

Quote:
So what would be a good sport for a person with freakishly large calf muscles to take up?
Volleyball.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 05:15 AM   #33

Quote:
What brand is it?
It's a Keys but there are several companies that make them.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Volleyball.
Basketball. Tae kwon do (or any leg-heavy martial art). Surfing. Snowboarding. Skiing. Skateboarding. And, of course, dancing...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 09:38 AM   #35

Thanks guys.

I'm way too uncoordinated for volleyball or basketball, not to mention dancing. Too cold for surfing around here, but I do love skiing (maybe THAT'S where the freakish calves evolved).

Maybe I'll look into Tae kwon do... when I E.R.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #36

Quote:
I'm way too uncoordinated for volleyball or basketball, not to mention dancing.
Don't give up - do you like dancing? Good instructor, good partner and some practice can do a lot.
But only if you like it. I'll never be any good but I still like to do it.
sailor,
who met Mrs. Sailor while ballroom dancing.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:14 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
sailor,
who met Mrs. Sailor while ballroom dancing.
It's for this reason that I think dancing can be tricky for a couple to take up. Dancing isn't quite like other active pastimes, in that it was designed to stimulate sexual desire.

Maybe you take up jogging together. One loves it, the other not so much. Well, not perfect but not too bad. All the one who doesn't like it loses is some companionship.

Take up dancing, one gets hooked, or has quite a bit of talent or whatever, but the other is neutral to negative.

Now what? When your SO starts coming home at 2 AM smelling of perfume/cologne are you happy that she/he is happy? Or if you insist on going, you feel inadequate and maybe at least somewhat jealous of all those who seem so eager to dance with your gal/guy. It may be "only dancing", but realistically, 1/2 the single attendees at any dance function are looking for hookups.

OTOH, it really is fun!

Ha
Old 11-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Now what? When your SO starts coming home at 2 AM smelling of perfume/cologne are you happy that she/he is happy? Or if you insist on going, you feel inadequate and maybe at least somewhat jealous of all those who seem so eager to dance with your gal/guy. It may be "only dancing", but realistically, 1/2 the single attendees at any dance function are looking for hookups.

OTOH, it really is fun!
Ha,
good insight to dancing dynamics, fortunately for us we both really like to dance. Mrs. Sailor has definitely more talent than I do, but I'm doing my best having a lot of fun at it.
And in the past I've sent her alone dancing and she did the same to me (well, somebody needed to stay with little sailor at home) and we were both happy that another got some fun and practice/exercise at the same time.
Both of us actually like to try to dance with other people to improve our skills anyway - one a typical dance night out we probably dance with each other about half time , the rest of it is with different partners.

sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
Don't give up - do you like dancing? Good instructor, good partner and some practice can do a lot. But only if you like it. I'll never be any good but I still like to do it.
sailor,who met Mrs. Sailor while ballroom dancing.
I've always wished I could dance...especially swing. But my attempts have been pathetic. The few times I've tried, my partners have said things like, "Why do you keep trying to lead, just follow..." I don't know what I'm doing that's leading, and I guess I don't know how to follow. Must be a personality problem.

There is a great club here called U Me Dance, that teaches swing and ballroom.

Mr. Sheryl has no interest right now, in his limited free time...but maybe after ER I can convince him... Ah, ER that valhalla world where there is time for everything.

Sigh.

Ha- I wouldn't take it up without him entirely - I'd rather find something else we enjoy together. But we are not the jealous types - so I think if we were at the same event but dancing with different partners, as Sailor mentioned, it would work out fine.

OTOH, Tae kwon do might be a better fit for us - he enjoyed and was good at karate when he was younger.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

So, I just had a 9lb 9oz baby the other day (Sunday). I stepped on the scale this morning to find that I only lost 11 lbs!! I gained 30 lbs total, so you can see my disappointment. Fortunately, I think about 1/2 of the remaining weight is water weight that will drop off fairly quickly in the next couple of weeks. Then I will be on a mission to find a good double jogger on craigslist. Running/weight training is really what works for me. I found a few years ago that a good motivation for running is to train for a race - a 5k or 10k is a good starting point if you are not a runner. A 1/2 marathon or even a marathon is great if you are an over-acheiver. I also agree with what others have said about weight training boosting your metabolism. Replacing muscle weight with fat does wonders. I've kept a pair of "skinny jeans" as an indicator of when I've arrived at my ideal weight.
J-Lu is offline   Reply With Quote