Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Gotta lose some LB's
Old 11-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dancing: the vertical expression of an horizontal desire...
I forgot who is the author of the phrase above, but s/he sure said it well!
bdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk
Dancing: the vertical expression of an horizontal desire...
I forgot who is the author of the phrase above, but s/he sure said it well!
This reminds me of one of my favorite Jokes.

Why don't Baptists make love standing up?

Wait for it!

Here it comes!

Because it might lead to Dancing!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:26 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the many years of our marriage my wife and I have had more strife over dancing than any thing else. Yet we keep on doing it. (Dancing, and staying maried.)

Most but not all the jealousy is on her side. I get fussed at her because she will devote a lot of effort to dance forms that I am not particularly drawn to, but very little to my favorites. I wanted to compete in >50 Lindy Hop, but she kept dragging her feet. I could easily find another steady partner, but then my life with wife would get more complcated.

It sounds absurd, and probably is, but what can I say? I can only play the game I know, and mine (nor hers) doesn't include boredom.

BTW, swing dancing can be very intense making big anerobic demands. It is really good fitnes activity if the partner thing can be solved. Also, lots of the dance groups have events that are over by 11:30 or midnight, unlike Latin which aroungd here at least has taken on the character of its home countries, and is usually just getting started by 11 PM or so.

Ha
Old 11-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Lu
So, I just had a 9lb 9oz baby the other day (Sunday). I found a few years ago that a good motivation for running is to train for a race - a 5k or 10k is a good starting point if you are not a runner. A 1/2 marathon or even a marathon is great if you are an over-acheiver. I also agree with what others have said about weight training boosting your metabolism. Replacing muscle weight with fat does wonders. I've kept a pair of "skinny jeans" as an indicator of when I've arrived at my ideal weight.
Congrats on the baby J Lu! I agree with your philosophy of setting goals. I've been back to running (jogging) for about 4 mos. after an illness. I typically do 3 mi. so I hope to start doing some 5k's as soon as I'm back to about 9 min. miles. It's too depressing bringing up the rear... (unless you're pushing a stroller!)

My secret goal is to do a "tandem marathon" next September. One person runs the first half and the partner runs the other. That way I can go first, fall behind, and my partner can come in and pick up a bunch of places and feel like a he-man.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl

My secret goal is to do a "tandem marathon" next September. One person runs the first half and the partner runs the other. That way I can go first, fall behind, and my partner can come in and pick up a bunch of places and feel like a he-man.
At first I thought you were going to hold hands for the whole marathon. But I see you mean something different. I once saw a couple holding hands on mile 20. I wanted so much to run right between them!
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My secret goal is to do a "tandem marathon" next September. One person runs the first half and the partner runs the other.
You go first. Don't wait for me!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:24 AM   #47

Over the last 15 years I slowly put on 40 pounds. I exercised heavily during a few periods over those years but weight loss never happened until I joined Weight Watchers (simplified calorie counting) in June 2005. It took me 7 months to lose the 40 pounds and I have kept it off for about 11 months. I never exercised once during the weight loss period although I have now started weight-lifting to add additional muscle mass that needs calories.

For years, I used the "no time for exercise" excuse for not trying to lose weight but as several folks have mentioned, if you use more calories than you consume you will lose weight whether you exercise or not. What I did learn during the weight loss is that I have to eat a lot and often. Getting very hungry leads to over-eating so I have to be sure there is always healthy, high-fiber, moderate fat food around. I have taken my lunch to work everyday since June 2005 and it is filled with healthy things for me to eat all day long. They call me the eating machine!
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye
I joined Weight Watchers (simplified calorie counting) in June 2005. It took me 7 months to lose the 40 pounds and I have kept it off for about 11 months.
Way to go Buckeye! Great achievement.

Ha
Old 11-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye
What I did learn during the weight loss is that I have to eat a lot and often. Getting very hungry leads to over-eating so I have to be sure there is always healthy, high-fiber, moderate fat food around. I have taken my lunch to work everyday since June 2005 and it is filled with healthy things for me to eat all day long. They call me the eating machine!
One of the big problems with working is that it's tough to find the time to eat, let alone to eat healthy or frequent small meals.

Our 9th-grader has been enamored of school lunches since kindergarten. This year she even started catching the early bus to eat a school breakfast as well as a school lunch. Over the years I've offered to share the savings with her if she brownbags but she's always declined. She has a theoretical understanding of good nutrition but a very strong emotional understanding of her tastebuds. She's extremely active and at the high-normal range of her weight with lots of muscle so she's been building the muscle or burning the food as fast as she eats it. She's just not interested in eating any more healthy than she thinks she already does.

Until this week. Their science teacher has them keeping a "Wellness Journal" of what they eat, how much they exercise, and how much they sleep. The food diary is backed up by a database tracking their calories & nutrients. She wants to get an "A" on this project so she's been digging into it and looking for extra ways to kiss up expand the research.

As she analyzed her food consumption she was horrified to realize that the school meals that she loves & trusts so much are actually the junkiest of junk food, just one step short of eating raw sugar atop heaping spoonsful of lard. (Guess what? Mom & Dad have been cooking healthy after all!) The sense of betrayal hit her pretty hard and suddenly she's ready to brown-bag it. The profit-sharing will be an even more pleasant bonus... I wonder if this is how Ralph Nader got started?

Experiential learning has been far more instructive than parental lectures ever could be.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #50

Haha,

Thanks for the positive feedback. In WW-speak we call postive stuff like that NSV's (non-scale victories). Unless I start running marathons, I will be counting points (calories) forever. Or someday I might actually develop that all important feedback mechanism (that my slender husband has) that says "stop eating when you are full!"
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You go first. Don't wait for me!
Aw, come on! It'll be fun! Really!
Old 11-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
At first I thought you were going to hold hands for the whole marathon. But I see you mean something different. I once saw a couple holding hands on mile 20. I wanted so much to run right between them!
Icky. No hand holding. : Mr. Sheryl runs 4 miles to every 3 of mine, so we'd have to have really long arms.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
One of the big problems with working is that it's tough to find the time to eat, let alone to eat healthy or frequent small meals.
No kidding. I kept putting off exercise and weight loss while waiting for my current job to become less stressful. After a couple of years it finally dawned on me that my job may never get less stressful. I could slave away towards FIRE and then by the time I got there my health could be in total shambles. I might give a lot of time to MegaCorp but I wasn't willing to give them my health as well! So I re-prioritized my life so that my health came before my job and I spent the next 1-1/2 years losing 50+ pounds and adopting healthy eating habits. Like Buckeye, I have to eat a lot (6 mini meals a day) to stay in control.

The funny thing is that I rationalized my prior behavior by saying that I didn't want my job performance to suffer while I focused on getting healthy. The truth was that I performed even better on the job during and after the weight loss . . . .
Linney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 11:15 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Icky. No hand holding. : Mr. Sheryl runs 4 miles to every 3 of mine, so we'd have to have really long arms.
The couple that plays together stays together. This morning in the gym I saw an old couple- like early to mid eighties- in the weight room. Laid end to end I doubt they would be 10 feet long. Standing together on the scale, they likely would not top 200#.

They went around together, mostly using DBs, the lady smiling at everyone.

Later I went up to the track to walk off my leg soreness, and they were walking. Then the guy broke into a really smooth easy run with good speed. I was alongside the woman, and I told her that her husband had a beautiful running form. She spoke to me in a strong old-country Scandinavian accent, and told me that when they were first married 61 years ago, her husband was a logger. But he loved running so much that he would get up at 5 to run before work. As if logging weren't physical enough!

She said he has kept up running ever since then.

Ha
Old 11-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

What a wonderful story Ha.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

simple weight loss formula EAT LESS/ MOVE MORE

done!
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:05 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

She spoke to me in a strong old-country Scandinavian accent, and told me that when they were first married 61 years ago, her husband was a logger. But he loved running so much that he would get up at 5 to run before work. As if logging weren't physical enough!

She said he has kept up running ever since then.

Ha
What a sweet story. My dad is still doing his work out at the gym 3x a week, and "doing" his mile - in 15 minutes. I'm not sure if that's a fast walk or a really slow jog, but at 79 y.o. I'm proud of him. He said he thinks his peak fitness level was in his early 60's and he bemoans every downward step, but keeps at it. Unfortutunately his wife isn't healthy enough to join him anymore.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a very important topic...thanks to all who have shared so far. What good is it to finally ER only to be a 300 pound blimp who can't do anything!

I came to this realization about a year ago, and have since lost about 40 pounds. I also have shifted to a much healthier diet. Two resources that have helped me are: information at the "caloriesperhour.com" website, and the "Eat to Live" book by Dr. Fuhrman. ETL is a more strict diet than I eat, and I don't follow it 100%, but I still got lots of good information from it.

Cheers....Mike
Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Mike
This is a very important topic...thanks to all who have shared so far. What good is it to finally ER only to be a 300 pound blimp who can't do anything!

I came to this realization about a year ago, and have since lost about 40 pounds. I also have shifted to a much healthier diet. Two resources that have helped me are: information at the "caloriesperhour.com" website, and the "Eat to Live" book by Dr. Fuhrman. ETL is a more strict diet than I eat, and I don't follow it 100%, but I still got lots of good information from it.

Cheers....Mike
I always like to re-read Fit for Life, by Marilyn Diamond and her husband........pretty easy "diet":

All fruit before lunch
Healthy lunch
Dinner can have some "bad stuff" as long as good stuff is included......

They look at how your body digests stuff, and how that adds up to fat storage:

Protein plus mega starch? Not so good

Lean protein plus steamed veggies? Much better

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
simple weight loss formula EAT LESS/ MOVE MORE

done!
While I agree with the "move more' part, I think your equation does not work in the long term. Sure, you can lose a few pound short term, but over the long term an individuals body weight is much more complicated than mere calories and exercise. It is about genetics, emotions, they type of foods that you eat, when you eat, how many meals per day, etc...

That being said, walking at least 30 minutes daily is probably the one thing that everyone can benefit from.