Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Government to Re-Open ACA Marketplace to Help Folks get Insurance
Old 01-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Government to Re-Open ACA Marketplace to Help Folks get Insurance

I just read this, not sure if it is true but it was reported by WAPO so no reason not to believe it.

This is a good thing I think. But still think they should reinstate the Mandate to Void the current lawsuit in the SCOTUS.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you lose insurance through job loss, or become self-employed, these are life events that allow you to obtain insurance through the ACA. I think it’s to allow people who didn’t apply for insurance when they should have to get it now.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
If you lose insurance through job loss, or become self-employed, these are life events that allow you to obtain insurance through the ACA. I think it’s to allow people who didn’t apply for insurance when they should have to get it now.
This ..+++despite the WaPo headline saying having the marketplace closed "has deprived millions of Americans who lost their jobs from getting health insurance." A bald faced lie. Reader beware..
Old 01-26-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If so, then that would be wrong... it would be rewarding people for their inaction of not signing up for ACA within 60-days of losing their job-based coverage or not signing up during the open enrollment window from Nov 1-Dec 15, 2020.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My personal view is there should be no enrolment periods for anything. They Sound to me like an insurance scheme not to insure as many people as possible. JMHO.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
My personal view is there should be no enrolment periods for anything. They Sound to me like an insurance scheme not to insure as many people as possible. JMHO.
They're necessarily so that people don't game the system - do without insurance until they get sick, and then quick sign up.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:36 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
This ..+++despite the WaPo headline saying having the marketplace closed "has deprived millions of Americans who lost their jobs from getting health insurance." A bald faced lie. Reader beware..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAt55.5 View Post
They're necessarily so that people don't game the system - do without insurance until they get sick, and then quick sign up.
I agree with both of these statements.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post

Insurance scheme, pray tell how that's a scheme. Remember insurance companies only make money when they collect premiums from people.

So if you can signup for HI at a whim or a drop of the hat, is it OK for the company to have a waiting period before they pay for your 250K heart valve replacement? Remember we are not talking government money here but private sector money.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:39 AM   #9
Administrator

There is no legislative proposal or executive action, so this discussion is premature. It can be taken up again if a specific proposal is made. Future discussions need to stick to the details of the proposed changes and avoid election rhetoric and off topic commentary.
Closed Thread