Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
All right, is this like the sign above the hole in the wall that says "do not look in this hole"?. You advise not clicking the link yet you bold it? What's the trick here?

No trick. Did you hear the bell ring too?

Pavlov would be proud
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am very surprised at this policy! I'd think tats were fine for any branch of the military as long as this rule was not violated

"Any tattoos that are racist, sexist, drug-related, vulgar, anti-American or are associated with any extremist group or gang are already not permitted on Marines."

I hate tats but for someone in the military I think they are ok. I guess Kat Von D ain't gonna be a Marine huh?

And Al.... you owe me a new set of eyes.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This woman wanted to work at Hooters: (Warning, you do not want to click this link. There is nudity, and you will not be able to get the image out of you head once you click on it. Trust me on this. Link).
Can't say about anyone else, but I clicked on the link and looked. Then I closed the page and less than ten seconds later the image was gone from my mind. It was pretty easy to let go -- as it was not easy on the eyes. That is not an image I want to carry around.

One of the servers at our most regular restaurant (once a week place for us most of the year) wears long sleeves -- even when it is 110 degrees here. One can only suspect why. It probably wouldn't matter to us (unless it was really objectionable -- which is highly subjective), but must be a company policy or something like that.

Edit to add:
The grandson and Eagle -- I have no idea. Maybe they passed on one they should have kept.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This woman wanted to work at Hooters: (Warning, you do not want to click this link. There is nudity, and you will not be able to get the image out of you head once you click on it. Trust me on this. Link).
Did anyone notice what the security guy is doing on the background.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The tattoo thing has gone to extremes (IMO).
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I don't think the boy is devastated. I think he is being educated.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
The tattoo thing has gone to extremes (IMO).
I agree.

IMHO, it's just a way for younger folks to "be unique". However, if everybody does it (or a great majority, today) how unique are you?

Reminds me of the natives that use "lip plates" or the Karen people who extend their necks by using neck rings...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-People-of-the-Lipplates-6.jpg (9.3 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg 366685997_3b46a08e59.jpg (106.1 KB, 9 views)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
No trick. Did you hear the bell ring too?

Pavlov would be proud
I didn't click the link.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Can't say about anyone else, but I clicked on the link and looked. Then I closed the page and less than ten seconds later the image was gone from my mind. It was pretty easy to let go -- as it was not easy on the eyes.
That reads suspiciously like "C'mon in, the water's fine!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #30

Grandma!!!

She is the spittin' image of grandmother E! I never saw her tats before though.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I didn't click the link.
Neither did I, shows we're are deciplined individuals, reverse psychology doesn't work on us
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Saw a place down in Cathedral City California that had one store-front advertising cosmetic tattoos (eye and lip liner, dunno what else), regular tattoos in the next store front, and tattoo removal in the third. I'm convinced it was all one owner as the signs looked pretty similar. Good business plan.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
Grandma!!!

She is the spittin' image of grandmother Eeeek! I never saw her tats before though.
FTFY
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #34

Update:
Since grandson was rejected by the Marines due to tattoos. SIL (former Marine and ex recruiter) has been talking to numerous contacts to no avail. SIL and grandson went together to see the local recruiter and they got stonewalled. SIL talked to them about requesting a waiver but recruiter said rules are very strict now and he refused to send it up the chain for a formal rejection. SIL also called a couple friends in PA where he enlisted. Talked about traveling to PA and enlist there. No dice. So it looks like grandson will now be going into the Navy. He passed all the tests and now is waiting for a phone call for the date to enlist. The Navy offered him some kind of deal where they would send him to school but he's not interested in school. He's sick of school. I'm sick of him and his attitude. He's 25 and is sick of school and hates work. He's just getting started in the workforce (??). Told him to look forward to fifty more years of being fed up with the world.

If anyone wants to chime in here, I'd love to hear what you've got to say;
however, I'm tired of talking about it and won't be posting anymore on this thread. I'll gladly read your posts and thoughts. Thanks for listening.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I of course klicked on the link - and my eyes went went imediately to the chick in back of the guy with the Security T shirt - being a dirty old man with functioning radar - the hearts on her ?? would pass muster at Hooters.

heh heh heh - it's a test right? Pick out the set(with the heart) hiding at the edge of the picture. I've seen that the current economy allows the military to be picky. A friend's grandson was rejected by the Marines for fighting(some minor fines involved) with his Girlfriend in public. However he is now Combat Infantry in an Army Styker brigade.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #36

Sounds like he has an attitude that the Navy will take care right away. If he makes it he will be a better person when he gets out. Not sure he will make it with that type attitude though. I wish him luck because he will need it. I hate Tattoo's but that is me. He could always have the tattoo removed then enter the marines. Tom
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the Marine recruiter picked up on the attitude.

I'm really glad the Navy didn't hold the tattoo against his enlistment and hope when you see him for the first time after his enlistment starts that you'll see some changes in him.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Reminds me of the natives that use "lip plates" ...
The lack of sounds p/b/m in some languages has been attributed to the use of such labrets (since those sounds require bringing the two lips completely together). And
Quote:
Archeological evidence indicates that labrets have been independently invented no less than six times, in Kamchatka (8700 BC), Iran (6400 BC), the Balkans (5000 BC), Sudan (3700 BC), Mesoamerica (1500 BC), and Coastal Ecuador (500 BC)[1].
Lip plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
OMG........I will never doubt you again!
Grandlakeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Reminds me of the natives that use "lip plates" ..

Comes in handy around meal time.