Grandson Devastated

Thank you for finding the right words, Moemg.
I agree with Sarah on this . It's tough on grandson # 2 also . Realizing you are different and telling people has to be extremely tough . He's still the child you loved no matter his life style . My son was gay and yes it was a heartbreak but he was still the same person before and after the announcement . I did accept it and his friend.I would rather have a gay son than a druggie son or one of the other horrors that can happen to our children.

I disagree with you on that. You are not old enough to have been drafted. What about those?? You know who got drafted? The people who could not afford college or those who did not make good grades while in college. I am quite sure those who served in Viet Nam really did not want to go.
Amen (been there, done that :duh: )...

I disagree with you on that. You are not old enough to have been drafted. What about those?? You know who got drafted? The people who could not afford college or those who did not make good grades while in college. I am quite sure those who served in Viet Nam really did not want to go. I am also sure many needed to grow up and I can bet you they did real fast when they got there.
It sure made a different person out of me. I knew if I messed up what would happen. When at home that rule did not apply. I see no reason this person should not be able to serve with the tattoo. Whats the big deal anyway. Tom
You don't have to agree or disagree with me-- those are just the rules under which today's Navy would decide how to assign a recruit to duty. I think the rules are designed to help people who don't know what they want to do in the military get a good solid nudge into figuring out their priorities & goals.

I personally think you're oversimplifying your Vietnam example, but you're right-- I'm too young to know more than what I've learned from the history books, my college military instructors (which included a surprising number of POWs), and a few shipmates. I'll let you and the rest of this board's Vietnam vets sort that one out to your satisfaction.

I've had to work for, work with, and supervise quite a few of those "needed to grow up" servicemembers. The beauty of an all-volunteer force is that you don't have to put up with that crap anymore. Sure, the military can make adults out of children, but why should that be the military's mission? Imagine if high-school graduates could say "I don't know what I want to do, but life sucks and I'm gonna join the police/firefighters to help me grow up and straighten out".

I'd rather serve with people who are at least as motivated as I am.

Personally I don't care about the tattoo issue either, but the pendulum is swinging all the way over on this one and it'll need a few years to settle down. The military will keep on coming up with little "gotchas" like this as long as they keep making quota with qualified recruits... recruits who actually want to be in the military and are not just hoping to run away from the rest of their personal problems.

Nords, you got that right (i.e. the military wants the highest possible recruits it can get as long as they make quota). I was a Navy Recruiter for Nuclear candidates (maybe I recruited you if you lived in Wis/Mich LOL) in the 80's. Standards were very high then (I had a student with a 3.9 GPA disqualified as he had some bad acne on his back!!!). I asked the Dr, WTF:confused: - "Well, if the reactor spewed out water and it got in his acne pockets, he would be in a bad situation." I guess so!!! And how many times has that happened I asked?? "Well, never as far as I know" Geeez, I've seen lots of crap but that was the worst.

If your nephew or grandson, gets a deal to become something in the Navy, in this period of time he should RUN for it and BEG to get in. Otherwise, good luck with the frying machine at McDonalds. . . .

... and they probably still all are volunteers, but there seemed to be some concern that a recruit could end up in the submarine service if they applied for nuclear training.

My point was that someone entering the Navy can't be ordered to submarine service unless they volunteer for it. I wasn't attempting to imply anything about aviators.

Someone entering the Navy on a minimal obligation with no rating preference and little/no schools would have a high probability of ending up on an amphibious ship or an aircraft carrier whether they thought it was a good idea or not.

Frankly it sounds as though the Navy is more interested in recruits who have a preference and some initiative, even though it may turn out to be different from what they wanted.

Anyone who thinks someone should be pointed toward the military to "grow up and straighten out" (no matter how good it turned out) should be appointed that person's military supervisor for the duration of their enlistment!

Say what you want Nords, but the Marines made a man our of my son. He was so gung-ho that he finished high school early in order to enlist. He was at MCRD San Diego when his buddies were walking across the stage to get their high school diplomas. He actually "grew up" in the Marines. Came out bigger and stronger than I could have imagined and really cared about how he presented himself, grooming, dressing, manners, etc. We are so very proud of him. That was 20 years ago.

This is in effect what I am hoping for my grandson #1. If it works for him like it did for my son, all the trials and tribulations will have been worth it.

So if he finds someone who makes him happy and who he wants to share his life with you would choose not to be around him when he was with that person?

Well, I guess I'm going to have to get used to it. I'm not going to exclude him from my life but I'm going to have to get used to a few things. You have to remember the era I came from, the early 50's growing up. I remember a kid in high school that was different in that sort of way and we all called him "queer". The word "gay" hadn't been invented. And we thought only guys were "queer". Never even thought about women being like that. That's how sheltered a life I led.

Well, I guess I'm going to have to get used to it. I'm not going to exclude him from my life but I'm going to have to get used to a few things.

I wish I could hug you, Johnnie36. I read this thread right before I went to bed last night and I didn't sleep very well. I also thought about it at w@rk today. I am so glad to read what you just posted.

I sincerely wish you and your family the best.

I wish I could hug you, Johnnie36. I read this thread right before I went to bed last night and I didn't sleep very well. I also thought about it at w@rk today. I am so glad to read what you just posted.

I sincerely wish you and your family the best.

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is so enjoyable to be part of this forum where every post kind of triggers a different thought process on the subject. Just when you think you are right about something, someone will post a view or thought that makes you think again. You know, "maybe I ought to rethink this" or give consideration to another view.

Johnnie36, I would tell your grandson to go to another state and sigh up. I cannot believe that a tattoo would stop him from joining. If he wants in bad enough there are ways to get in. Recruiters have numbers they have to show. Maybe the area you are in they are already filled. To be honest I have never heard of such a stupid thing as for someone to tell him he cannot enter the marines because of a tattoo. Tell him not to give up. The Marines would suit him much better than being a sailor. Oldtrig

This might have contributed to your grandson not getting accepted....

I heard a short blip on the radio news today. They said that the Marines are looking to reduce their ranks by about 25,000 people, so even those who are currently enlisted might have a difficult time re-upping. No mention was made of why they are reducing their ranks.

omni

Johnnie36, I would tell your grandson to go to another state and sigh up. I cannot believe that a tattoo would stop him from joining. If he wants in bad enough there are ways to get in. Recruiters have numbers they have to show. Maybe the area you are in they are already filled. To be honest I have never heard of such a stupid thing as for someone to tell him he cannot enter the marines because of a tattoo. Tell him not to give up. The Marines would suit him much better than being a sailor. Oldtrig
One of the first things a new Marine recruit gets is a physical inspection from a medical officer familiar with the tattoo rules.

One of the second things a new Marine recruit gets is a physical inspection from a gunnery sergeant familiar with the tattoo rules.

The next thing would be a phone call to the recruiting district CO.

This might have contributed to your grandson not getting accepted....
I heard a short blip on the radio news today. They said that the Marines are looking to reduce their ranks by about 25,000 people, so even those who are currently enlisted might have a difficult time re-upping. No mention was made of why they are reducing their ranks.
The military is downsizing because the wars are winding down. I think I've heard a rumor that Army deployments are being shortened from 12 months to nine.

After DESERT STORM the force shrank from 1.9 million to today's 1.4 million, and a lot of automation has been implemented since then. It wouldn't be surprising to cut the force by 150,000-200,000 more.

By far the biggest "variable" expenses in the military are payroll & personnel.

While we were surfing this morning my daughter and I could see the USS CROMMELIN or the USS REUBEN JAMES frigates off Pearl Harbor. They were making bare steerageway and holding position. After they'd been in that spot for over an hour, I pointed out that they were underway because they finally had fuel to burn this quarter. However they didn't have enough to run racetracks around the ocean-- just enough to get away from all the pier rats and get some training done without interruption.

It hadn't really occurred to her that the Navy would limit her underway time because of budget [-]problems[/-] challenges.

Thank you for the suggestion, but that has been considered. Remember, grandson's father is a former Marine top sergeant and former recruiter. If this could have been done, he would have done it.

For some reason this whole thread reminds me of this story:

There we were standing in company/battalion formation on a Monday morning at Camp Lejeune, NC. A young Marine had reported in from Vietnam during the weekend. Unfortunately for him, his seabag was lost in transit. The only uniform he had was a Vietnam utility uniform in his carry-on bag. (Marines did not wear the Vietnam utility uniform in the USA and, remember, this was a time when Marines in uniform were often vigorously disrespected by the civilian population.)

So, the young Marine put on his Vietnam utility uniform and fell out into his place in the formation. As soon as the platoon sergeant spotted him, he shouted, "H*ll! Man! You can't wear that here!":)

It doesn't matter where he is inducted. The Navy doctors and Marine officers at Parris Island or San Diego will have the final say on whether he is USMC material.

Say what you want Nords, but the Marines made a man our of my son. He was so gung-ho that he finished high school early in order to enlist. He was at MCRD San Diego when his buddies were walking across the stage to get their high school diplomas. He actually "grew up" in the Marines. Came out bigger and stronger than I could have imagined and really cared about how he presented himself, grooming, dressing, manners, etc. We are so very proud of him. That was 20 years ago.

This is in effect what I am hoping for my grandson #1. If it works for him like it did for my son, all the trials and tribulations will have been worth it.

As a drilling Reservist who has command experience, I would have to second Nords info - the military is a changed place and it is drawing down quite a bit - between selective continuation boards, selective retirement boards, slowing down of promotions, decrease in overseas footprints (size of them, but spreading out over larger areas), climbing healthcare costs, inability to field weapons on time leading to increasing maintenance budgets for existing weapon systems, expansion of defensive area to the cyber realm and all associated with that, coupled with the record retention rates being experienced (can anyone find a job outside of the military right now), the recruiters are getting more and more selective. Hence, the perceived (and perhaps real) change in what will be accepted in terms of personal issues in a recruit.

From a command perspective, I would prefer not to have to 're-rear' someone else's children, however, I do see that some people need an outside kick in the a$$ to figure out that Mom and Dad are probably the best thing they have going. I've also found that many people who lack internal discipline require the external discipline that the military can provide.....sigh...oh, did I ever learn that.

In the end, I do hope that your son does the right thing and gets the opportunity in the military - my husband and I are trying to encourage his older son in the same direction - he sits at his Mom's house and in general is not doing much - time is passing. Even if he got away for two years, I think his life would be so much better. However, I have a girlfriend I've known from high school who is visiting me right now and she told me her older brother (in his 50's) is still living at home......yowza! She has some awesome parents for sure.

Thanks for all the informative posts and advice. For now it look's like the Navy is the branch. I guess he just waiting forr the phone call. I'll let you
know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom