Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I hope you get out safely and soon. Hospitals are dangerous places! Good luck and get better.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I hope you get out safely and soon. Hospitals are dangerous places! Good luck and get better.

Oh man just what he needs to hear!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #23

They took me off food and onto IV only for 48 hrs or so, then added back little bits. I was feeling better, but the pain is starting to come back after the food.... To top that off, one of the veins for the IV wouldn't accept any more input so they moved it...the new spot seems to have become infected...moved again. New infection while on IV antibioticsstrange...
R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

That does seem strange! At least you are in the right place to get the infection treated. Hang in there, and I hope you are able to eat some food without pain, soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rambler, what you have on your IV site is called a Nosocomial Infection (something you picked up in the hospital) and unfortunately, it is not rare. I'll bet you are on IV antibiotics that will kill intestinal bugs like E. Coli (the ones causing the inflammation in your diverticuli). The infection at your IV site is probably associated with an organism (bug) that normally lives on skin, for example, staph epidermidis (epidermis = top skin layer). Most probably the antibiotics you have been on are not aimed at staph epidermidis.

Make sure your health care providers WASH THEIR HANDS or use alcohol based skin cleanser before touching or dressing that IV or replacing it. Make sure they disinfect the skin properly. Attention to cleanliness is particularly important at times when they are hanging your IV antibiotics.

Good luck!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #26

Thanks W2R and Meadbh,

I know they rub me down well with alcohol before needling me. One thing I noticed is that they do not wear gloves here when injecting. I'm not so experienced with this, but if memory serves me well, I thought injections were done with gloved hands in the US...obviously not here. I'll be observant about the hand washing and disinfection (they do have hand disinfectant outside of every door).

Thanks for the advice.

R
Some bedside reading for Rambler.....
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Some bedside reading for Rambler.....

Infection Control in Healthcare Settings Home | CDC Infection Control in Healthcare#
Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Rambler, sounds like a tough time. Best wishes for your recovery.

Infected or plugged diverticuli can occasionally evolve into "microperforations" of the left side of the colon, getting walled-off by the surrounding mesentery (the sheets of tissue that enclose the abdominal contents). It's not unlike appendicitis (which is on the right side but otherwise a similar scenario).

If you docs think you'll need 2 or more weeks of IV antibiotics, ask about a PICC line. This is a more deeply-placed IV which can stay in for weeks or months, and you can go home with it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #29

Thanks Rich. If I had a microperf, would that not have to be surgically corrected?

Thx

R
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Thanks Rich. If I had a microperf, would that not have to be surgically corrected?
Not necessarily. A surgical opinion might be suggested on a general basis (or in case things take a turn) but most heal with antibiotics alone. Bowel rest and ABs are a good conservative place to start, then see how it goes. Of course, every case is unique.

I hope things heal up quickly as most do.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #31

Thanks to all who have offered support and advice.

My white cell counts and CRP are both back to normal, and I will go home from the hospital tomorrow. I still have the fibrescope to endure next thursday just to make sure there is no cancer involved, but since the pain has receded and the blood counts are fine, it seems I will be good to go soon.

Thanks all!

R
Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful news Rambler! Thank you for keeping us in the loop. Hope everything is soon back to normal.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #33
Administrator

Rambler,

Just noticed this thread. I'm sorry you have been going through a bad time but things appear to be looking up, I hope your improvement continues and you get well soon.