Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #101
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd go for a buzz cut.... fashionable and easy care
LimaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So here's a side discussion topic. Do any of my fellow bald brothers whack your heads on all sorts of things? My head is like a magnet to corners of things. Plus I constantly forget to duck especially when entering our truck camper. I think I have a scab on my head the majority of the year. Plus, there's nothing like a cut on the head to freak others out with major blood loss.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:31 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
So here's a side discussion topic. Do any of my fellow bald brothers whack your heads on all sorts of things? My head is like a magnet to corners of things. Plus I constantly forget to duck especially when entering our truck camper. I think I have a scab on my head the majority of the year. Plus, there's nothing like a cut on the head to freak others out with major blood loss.
Absolutely. I mentioned this earlier.

We gain beauty, but we lose a few things:
  • Early warning system
  • Cushion
  • Ball bearings
Hair is like cat whiskers. It warns you of the impending impact. You may still hit it, but you instinctively slow down.

Then if you do hit, it cushions. On a glancing blow, it acts as a series of ball bearings allowing the scalp to slide off.

My worst hit was a super thin glancing blow while exiting a metal storage shed. I was helping a friend take some stuff out. On exiting, I hit my head, but just barely. It hurt like heck, and I looked like a horror victim with all the blood. Hanging from the doorframe was a 2 inch long by 1 inch wide piece of very thin scalp. I took it and saved it in case I needed it.

I didn't. It was basically a super thin slice, much like they do for skin grafting donor site (epidermis only). I healed up in a week or two with a scar that lasted a year. Can't see it now. People still talk about the day I was "scalped."
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Joe, maybe we should compensate this scalp risk by letting our nose, ear, and eyebrow hair grow out and let it all meet in the middle on top of our scalp with a heavy dose of shellack sprayed on it...For safety purposes of course.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Joe, maybe we should compensate this scalp risk by letting our nose, ear, and eyebrow hair grow out and let it all meet in the middle on top of our scalp with a heavy dose of shellack sprayed on it...For safety purposes of course.
I can't understand people that let their eyebrows grow into fuzzy creatures with a life all their own. I mean, don't they have a mirror?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I mean, don't they have a mirror?
If mirrors were readily utilized, a large percentage of the population would never leave their houses.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
If mirrors were readily utilized, a large percentage of the population would never leave their houses.

True, that!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Would that be enough for protection?

I would think a much thicker layer of hair is needed, which can be obtained by braiding.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:40 PM   #109

gonna be 69 in a week and i have a bald spot. doesn’t bother me a bit. i wear ball caps outdoors...have for decades...so no need for sunscreen. whatever makes you happy.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #110
Confused about dryer sheets

Geez, I've been bald since my mid 30's. I have plenty of hair along the sides and back but completely bald on top. Instead of looking like a friar monk, I decided long ago to just shave it all off. No big deal and not difficult.
gsykora59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

I was getting thin on top, and I used to argue with my barber to cut it shorter. One day there was a young barber at one of the chairs, and I was next up with him. I told him to cut it shorter, and then he said he could “buzz” it. The room became silent as we agreed as to how short it should be. Then I heard Phil from across the room say, “ OK, but donta tella you wife you gottita done here!” From then I just started shaving my head every 5-6 days and save the cost of the haircut.

Its so liberating! Always had a moustache, and now I have a goatee as well. I probably spend more time on the hair in my ears than on my head!
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

My progression:

20's: comb-over to cover already receding hairline

30's: acknowledged the balding by combing it all back into a ponytail

40's: continued the ponytail, eventually chopped the ponytail

50's: buzzcut, looks really good, wish I had done it sooner

60's: the buzzing continues

My latest buzz was the shortest ever, looking almost completely bald. I did it in anticipation of trying a shave sometime soon. Reluctant only because I'm not sure how bad I'll cut myself the first few shaves.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
65 and kinda/sorta holding
Old 08-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

65 and kinda/sorta holding

I am finally starting to lose hair after a lifetime of having so much thickness that women were jealous. Losing a lot more after shampooing which I am trying to limit to about once per week since so much seems to come out. Still have more than most men but wish I had a head shaped better for baldness. I would prefer the convenience of not having any at this point.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I don't personally like the buzz cut look. At least on my head. Plus, on TV all the pedophiles and crazy bad guys have shaved heads.

I've got typical male pattern baldness (since my 30s), but at 63 my hair is still mostly brown. Although my beard is almost pure white. And I do keep that trimmed short. But I have fine hair, and buzzing it short makes it stick out funny. A nice scissor cut to about a 1 inch length lays nicely and looks better on my head. I don't shave it, because why would I have a beard if I wanted to shave? I trim the rogue bits on top of my head when they become noticeable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dr. Evil.jpg (49.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #115

I am a woman 63 and losing mine. I stopped coloring to try to save it and now it is white and I keep it short and it looks horrible. Tried Women's Rogaine and it didn't work.

Wig will be next. Or a scarf. I hate it. Tougher for women than men.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #116
Confused about dryer sheets

Forget the hair-piece; easy to spot and people either will laugh behind your back or feel pity for you. It's a no-win situation. Rather, just accept it and go for the close-cut look or total shave. Losing hair at the age of 49 is nothing; it's practically expected. In contrast, try losing your hair at the age of 20; it seems that all you can see are shampoo commercials for men.
coach02116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:53 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
+1 Brah. It doesn't happen often, but just enough to be annoying! Most recently I raked the top of my scalp on a lower tree branch I had just finished pruning and bled like a stuck pig! Also whacked my dome on the overhead bin of an aircraft as I stood up in preparing to de-board! And from time-to-time I still clunk the top of my head on some overhead cabinets in our garage.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:06 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't personally like the buzz cut look. At least on my head. Plus, on TV all the pedophiles and crazy bad guys have shaved heads.

I've got typical male pattern baldness (since my 30s), but at 63 my hair is still mostly brown. Although my beard is almost pure white. And I do keep that trimmed short. But I have fine hair, and buzzing it short makes it stick out funny. A nice scissor cut to about a 1 inch length lays nicely and looks better on my head. I don't shave it, because why would I have a beard if I wanted to shave? I trim the rogue bits on top of my head when they become noticeable.

MPB is what I have, I have to have one of the longest consecutive streaks of annually slowly losing hair without going bald yet. I have friends who were making fun of me losing hair 30 years ago, that have subsequently long ago raced past me to the bald finish line.
Hair today gone tomorrow
Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Hair today gone tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Would that be enough for protection?

I would think a much thicker layer of hair is needed, which can be obtained by braiding.

Now that would be a photo for the ages to be seen! I think scientists have been researching the cure for baldness in the wrong areas. Clearly the solution to regrow is not going to found on the scalp where it quits growing. They need to start researching inside the ears to figure out why it grows so well there. Its a good thing that I am retired. As I have picked up a full time job plucking ear hairs. Cant stand them. The problem is by the time I have plucked 3 of them, 2 different ones have already grown back!
Old 08-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #120

Started receding and thinning in my late 30's. Panicked. Started using minoxidil, which actually worked, at least slowing down the loss, but hairline continues to recede and thin on top. I considered going on Finasteride, a pill that supposedly reduces hair loss, but thought that was too dangerous. Stuck to minoxidil only. Been on Minoxidil for 30 years now, twice a day! I wear my hair long and slightly bushy in back. Brush it back and slightly to one side. I cut it myself, in the mirror. Thinking of getting it cut really short, not skinhead though. Scared, though! Agree, hair loss must be much worse, emotionally, for women.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote