Has your waistline benefited or been harmed by retirement ?

I have never been extremely overweight, just a little fuller around the waist than I would prefer. I started biking about 100 miles a week soon after ER and dropped about 15 pounds. Unfortunately, once my body adjusted to the increased excercise I gained back about 10. I know what it would take to drop those 10 permanently - cut out chocolate. Fat chance :)

This is my situation almost exactly. What's up with that? I run/walk nearly every day. I get more excercise now than ever before, but have been doing it long enough that the affect on my weight is nil. I refuse, however, to give up my evening ice cream, so I also may have to settle for the "fullness" as you describe!

This is my situation almost exactly. What's up with that? I run/walk nearly every day. I get more excercise now than ever before, but have been doing it long enough that the affect on my weight is nil. I refuse, however, to give up my evening ice cream, so I also may have to settle for the "fullness" as you describe!

I have also hit a plateau and I read that you should shake things up . If you always do one type of exercise you should change it . It also recommended that you change your food pattern . One day eat a lot and the next day eat less . These things seem to jump start metabolism .

I read an article which says that your waistline must be smaller than the size of your TV (measured diagonally). Kind of stupid article but it was comforting since I have a long way to go before I overtake the size of my TV. Into my first month of retirement - weight is unchanged from last month.

I read an article which says that your waistline must be smaller than the size of your TV (measured diagonally). Kind of stupid article but it was comforting since I have a long way to go before I overtake the size of my TV. Into my first month of retirement - weight is unchanged from last month.

I guess I better get a bigger tv;)

I have also hit a plateau and I read that you should shake things up . If you always do one type of exercise you should change it . It also recommended that you change your food pattern . One day eat a lot and the next day eat less . These things seem to jump start metabolism .

That's a great point. I might try bicycling to change it up. Then maybe switch from vanilla to chocolate in the ice cream department. ;)

That's a great point. I might try bicycling to change it up. Then maybe switch from vanilla to chocolate in the ice cream department. ;)
If I could switch to dark chocolate I could lose the pounds. My poison is milk chocolate - I eat it in frequent 1/2 pound binges. My metabolism is already screaming -- my legs shake the room wherever I am.

If I could switch to dark chocolate I could lose the pounds. My poison is milk chocolate - I eat it in frequent 1/2 pound binges. My metabolism is already screaming -- my legs shake the room wherever I am.

I was eating dark chocolate chips, a few each day until I read the package. There was more sugar than I expected so I switched to 85% dark chocolate for my daily fix. I have one square after lunch and that pretty much takes care of my chocolate craving.

I don't miss the sugar, now that I've weaned myself away from it over the past year. I indulge once in a while with something that has plenty of sugar, like ice cream or a single cookie but my cravings for sugar has really dropped.

I went from 210 diwn to 195 with no diet or excersize. I lost some weight when taking care of my wife (had to eat my own cooking) and after she passed away. I've been eating quite well for the last 6 months but still haven't put on any weight.

I read an article which says that your waistline must be smaller than the size of your TV (measured diagonally).

big_TV.jpg

Check!

Another guilty voice for added weight.

136 lb June 2008, 141 August 2008, 146ish now (least I slowed down the increase) - I'm not tall so I definitely notice. I walk 1.5 miles a day, but obviously not enough to offset the extra input.

I have been looking at the treadmill for a while, about 6 months ago I cleaned the junk off it. Recently I acquired a TV visible to the treadmill... now just need the willpower.

I'm not into numbers but the Lands End clothes I bought last week fit as well as the ones I had while still working. (same size). My theory is that they are making everything bigger and adjustable so they get fewer returns. :)

I'm not into numbers but the Lands End clothes I bought last week fit as well as the ones I had while still working. (same size). My theory is that they are making everything bigger and adjustable so they get fewer returns. :)

My favorite thing about Land's end is the free shipping and the fact that they hem the pants .

Great idea and I'll switch to Pretzels instead of chips which are my only weakness .

I retired 10 yrs ago and was 6'2, 185. Now I'm 6'1, 170. I drink less, have given up cigarettes, eat better and exercise more. Maybe I need to hang upside down to get that inch back.:rolleyes:

I have a 19" TV.

My weight hasn't changed too much in this first 9 months of ER. I'm actually fluctuating more than when I was working as we are traveling a lot on holidays and that is as bad if not worse than business travel for lowering the exercise and increasing the calories.

Back
Top Bottom