Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Inspiration from threads like this in the past here on the ER forum got me interested in getting in shape. I had previously thought I was in shape because I walked a lot. Truth is I was a bit chubby around the middle and had not much muscle strength. Since starting P90X in august and getting a mountain bike in december I have lost 15 pounds down to 144 now and I have gotten much stronger and have more endurance. Surprisingly, at least to me, I bruise much less easily and my skin seems more resistant to cuts and scratches. I also have much stronget finger nails. These are probably more the result of cutting out 95% of the sugar I was eating before and instead eating lots more lean meat, fruits and veggies. My sixpack is starting to show though I need to keep working on it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
gone traveling

I can relate to many of the above experiences.

I came out of the Marine Corps many years ago before starting my 32 year IT career in excellent condition, strength, and endurance. Running 3 miles in 18 minutes, 20 pull-ups, and 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes as standard physical fitness test was no problem.

Then 32 years of sitting all day in front of a computer screen along with the stress that came with the job, caused me to just want to eat dinner at the end of the day, turn the TV on, and then collapse on the couch. I did join a health club to swim laps, but the energy was just too sapped by the job.

Well, I'm now firing my job and returning to a sane health and physical fitness program. Daily cycling, walking, and/or swimming laps is the goal, along with drastically reducing all those cookies and chocolate bars, and unhealthy snacking. Then dump the BP med I'm on.

One thing I did always avoid was fried foods, fries/chips, soda pop, salt, and only occasional lean red meat, while sticking to veggies, chicken, and fish. I think I'm still here at 61 about to retire thanks to that.
Richard8655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

This kind of thread gets me even more excited about retirement! Thanks to all for sharing!
cinman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
I for one am finding early retirement the best thing I could have possibly done in my life. I started my exercise and diet improvements prior to retirement and now exercise every day. This is all a function of time available and reduced stress. I have lost 75 pounds in 8 months, and have showed excellent improvement in all my numbers (Blood Pressure, etc.) at my last doctor appt 3 months ago. I highly recommend this lifestyle !
Congratulations on your achievements ! Very impressive. I'm happy for you.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
For myself, within two years after ER, I was able to eliminate my Blood Pressure meds and am now 110/70 without them; lost 25 pounds from eating better and 'calmer,' cholesterol dropped from 205 to 156 w/o meds, sleeping better, and enjoying the basics a whole lot more. Works for me !!
Fantastic - another happy story ! Congratulations to you also
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote