Join Early Retirement Today

Health Insurance and Marriage
Old 12-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Health Insurance and Marriage

It seems I am going to marry in order to extend health insurance benefits to friend/caretaker.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello Khan,

Are you just sharing information, looking for an opinion, hoping to discuss? I'm not sure we know how to respond to your posting.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Input on pre-nup, will, letter of instruction? Someone with experience in such?
Any info on forming corporation/business as alternative to marriage?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

ACA won't cover him?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Input on pre-nup, will, letter of instruction? Someone with experience in such?
Any info on forming corporation/business as alternative to marriage?
Only experience was a friend helped an English guy gain admittance to the US. She had told wife the types of questions they asked. Very personal information that only marriage could account for.

Not sure they did anything to protect assets, they were young, probably had nothing.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Khan..I wish I could answer your questions, but I can not.

I know you are considering moving to Florida as you seem to like the area and you have someone there you care about. Instead of cohabitating...perhaps you could consider an assisted living facility near your friend. If there aren't any or are too expensive, perhaps you could rent a small apartment.

You could have a maid come in two or three times a week to clean and perhaps cook some meals for you to freeze.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Khan..I wish I could answer your questions, but I can not.

I know you are considering moving to Florida as you seem to like the area and you have someone there you care about. Instead of cohabitating...perhaps you could consider an assisted living facility near your friend. If there aren't any or are too expensive, perhaps you could rent a small apartment.

You could have a maid come in two or three times a week to clean and perhaps cook some meals for you to freeze.
I live in a 55+ apartment community west of Tampa that is part of a complex with elder living (you specify the level of service), assisted living, nursing care, memory care and rehab care. The spouse of one of the residents of our building was living in the nursing home a 5 minute walk away. It worked out great until she passed.

In our apartment community, people can pay to get their laundry done ($10 min/$1 lb), get housekeeping ($50 for 90 min, I think), and get dinner delivered every day from the kitchen that cooks for the expensive side! It's $11 per day, but cheaper if you sign up for the month. My 92 year old neighbor is still living independently in her own apartment because of these services.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
I live in a 55+ apartment community west of Tampa that is part of a complex with elder living (you specify the level of service), assisted living, nursing care, memory care and rehab care. The spouse of one of the residents of our building was living in the nursing home a 5 minute walk away. It worked out great until she passed.

In our apartment community, people can pay to get their laundry done ($10 min/$1 lb), get housekeeping ($50 for 90 min, I think), and get dinner delivered every day from the kitchen that cooks for the expensive side! It's $11 per day, but cheaper if you sign up for the month. My 92 year old neighbor is still living independently in her own apartment because of these services.
Wow...that sounds great! Perhaps I should move to Florida...
Old 12-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Wow...that sounds great! Perhaps I should move to Florida...

Even with REWahoo's advisory, you may be better off stayiing put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Time for a refresher: Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators, oppressive heat & humidity, bleak desolate scenery, dirty beaches, polluted air, dust storms, drought, wildfires, water shortages, recurring floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, rednecks, huge piles of flaming mulch, spontaneously combusting playgrounds, roads hot as flowing lava, the stench of natural and unnatural gasses, amoebic meningitis lurking in area lakes, recurring ebola virus outbreaks, flesh eating bacteria, staggering homeowner insurance rates, unbelievably high property taxes, mandatory death sentences for DUI convictions, polygamous religious sects, and, lest we forget, doesn't look kindly towards Yankees (per Orchidflower).
Most of that stuff is in Florida as weil, and in addition, we have sinkholes everywhere and a ginormous rodent population in Orlando.

Worst of all, we have snowbirds
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Most of that stuff is in Florida as well, and in addition, we have sinkholes everywhere and a ginormous rodent population in Orlando.
Is that how the locals refer to the tourists?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Is that how the locals refer to the tourists?
Only if they don't spend enough money to keep our economy booming!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:

Yes, I second the sentiment that this sounds very good to me, too. Lots of these graduated-care communities around all over and I would definitely consider for myself if the need arose.

Very near me is a well-respected non-medical senior helper-type agency. I could see hiring them on a regular per diem basis for transportation to doctor's and housekeeping stuff if I would have a future need. My son could pay my bills online and keep an eye on my finances. He could also set up a nanny cam in the house to make sure no one is slapping me around.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Even with REWahoo's advisory, you may be better off stayiing put.

Most of that stuff is in Florida as weil, and in addition, we have sinkholes everywhere and a ginormous rodent population in Orlando.

Worst of all, we have snowbirds
Hmmm...on second thought, you may be right. Perhaps I need a maid...and a pool boy.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Only if they don't spend enough money to keep our economy booming!
The "sinkholes"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #15

If you can handle the location and weather, I have been to this one many times and it is very nice:Retirement Community in Central Florida | John Knox Village
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Arkansas. Cheap, friendly, natural, and surprisingly modern.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It seems I am going to marry in order to extend health insurance benefits to friend/caretaker.
Khan, that is my ace in the hole plan also.. My GF has a gold plated plan with subsidized spouse benefit. Less than $200 a month with a couple hundred deductible max. I currently have a HD plan as I have no medical needs. But if Obamacare keeps rising, I will run to the alter. I have already bought her a very nice diamond ring than can easily be switched over to the other finger with no additional cost. Oh and yes like you, it's already been discussed with the partner.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Khan ,
According to the federal government you can not add spouses after retirement .
<LI style="MARGIN-LEFT: 0.5in">the non-employee spouse has been covered as a family member in any FEHB plan for the 5 years of the federal employee’s service immediately before the date the annuity starts, or for the full period of service since the spouse’s first opportunity to enroll (if less than 5 years).See http://www.opm.gov/healthcare-insurance/healthcare/reference-materials/reference/annuitants-and-compensationers/.the rules for federal government insurance for
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote