Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
That seems horribly high. I am one year older, male, and just got a similar policy in California for about $1000/year. You might want to shop around, if that is even possible with your condition.

Kramer
She stated she had a preexisting condition, if that was breast cancer
for example, I'd say 10K is a steal. This why getting individual insurance
is better if you are healthly, even if your cobra is lower, because if you
get sick, then your cobra runs out you are screwed. I'd wouldn't be
surprise if any condition (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc) would mean
a 10k+/yr in the individual insurance market.
TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
BCBS is the guaranteed company in NC. The one that has to offer insurance. I was not able to get it from any other company. From what I understand NC has the highest rates in the US.
North Carolina has:
8% income tax
6-7 % sales tax
personal property taxes
high property taxes
they just passed a home transfer tax
..thats why I'm outta here...

God only knows where it all goes

TJ
Old 08-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

So why the heck are so many people retiring to NC? Those costs are terrible!
Of course, lots of people retire to Manhattan as well, so I guess cost is not the determining factor for some people.

That rate for BCBS in NY is pretty high. My COBRA payments are much less than half of that - but that will end when I am 61 - will have over 3 1/2 years until medicare eligibility.

Have had a pacemaker for 12 yrs - battery lasted abt 10 years until I had to change it. I wonder how badly that will hurt my rate. Nothing else serious preexisting. But I suppose so long as I don't wait more than 63 days after Cobra expires, the preexistong conditions matter for the rate only, not the insurability. Is there a sliding rate scale depending on the nature of the condition? I guess there's not a spreadsheet of some kind that lists the conditions and the ensuing premiums? NAH - That would be too logical, wouldn't it?
LIPhotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIPhotoMan View Post
So why the heck are so many people retiring to NC? Those costs are terrible!
Of course, lots of people retire to Manhattan as well, so I guess cost is not the determining factor for some people.
Excellent health care, beach/mountains, nice golf courses everywhere,
yes, cost isn't the only factor.
TJ
Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Excellent health care, beach/mountains, nice golf courses everywhere,
yes, cost isn't the only factor.
TJ
Also, IIRC, Newguy has told us many times that housing is relatively cheap in NC. Of course, he is a retired teacher with employer-provided health insurance who came from NJ.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance