Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Health Insurance Exchanges under the PPACA
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Administrator

Health Insurance Exchanges under the PPACA

There are still many initiatives in the PPACA that will be implemented in 2013 and 2014. One that has been the subject of much discussion here is State Health Insurance Exchanges. The States can run their own exchanges, individually or in partnership with other States, or allow the Federal Gov’t to run them.

Each state must inform its intention by Nov 16. It might be useful to have a thread that tracks what the states are doing and note updates, and link to other useful information sites. According to Kaiser Family Foundation (Health Insurance Exchanges - Kaiser State Health Facts) the current status is:

16 Established State Exchange: California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

3 Planning for Partnership Exchange: Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois

16 Studying Options: Alabama, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia

8 No Significant Activity: Georgia, Kansas, Missouri, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Wyoming

8 Decision Not to Create State Exchange: Alaska, Florida, Louisiana, Maine, New Hampshire, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
gone traveling

So I assume that for states that elect not to have a state exchange, a subscriber can then select from federal level exchange? If so, I wonder how good the federal one will be.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
So I assume that for states that elect not to have a state exchange, a subscriber can then select from federal level exchange? If so, I wonder how good the federal one will be.
There will still be state exchanges, just operated by a Federal dept.

Members of Congress are required to get their health care insurance through he exchanges beginning in 2014, so I would guess there will be at least one good option...
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There will still be state exchanges, just operated by a Federal dept.

Members of Congress are required to get their health care insurance through he exchanges beginning in 2014, so I would guess there will be at least one good option...
The thing that strikes me a little odd, is gummit claims to be interested in reducing costs, so why can't they get over this restricting insurance to state lines.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The thing that strikes me a little odd, is gummit claims to be interested in reducing costs, so why can't they get over this restricting insurance to state lines.
Google "McCarran-Ferguson Act."

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Not really the purpose of the thread, but it looks to me that when all 50 states have health insurance exchanges that satisfy a common set of standards, this limitation is less of an issue.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Now that the PPACA is definitely here to stay, I'm looking forward to say, about 6-9 months from now when the exchanges get more concrete. Who knows, by then the question might be to PPACA or HSA? That is the question.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Now that the PPACA is definitely here to stay, I'm looking forward to say, about 6-9 months from now when the exchanges get more concrete. Who knows, by then the question might be to PPACA or HSA? That is the question.
If by HSA you mean Health Savings Account, I would think it would still make sense to have both as we do now -- using HSA to cover deductibles and items not covered by PPACA/insurance.

Tyro
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
There has been some concern in the past that PPACA would eliminate HSAs entirely because no PPACA-compliant insurance plan would also be a qualifying HDHP under existing law, but I don't think that's the case. It doesn't have to an either-or, at least I don't think so. Keep in mind that some HSA-eligible plans (mine included) have had first-dollar, no deductible coverage for preventative care even before PPACA was signed into law.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
There has been some concern in the past that PPACA would eliminate HSAs entirely because no PPACA-compliant insurance plan would also be a qualifying HDHP under existing law, but I don't think that's the case. It doesn't have to an either-or, at least I don't think so. Keep in mind that some HSA-eligible plans (mine included) have had first-dollar, no deductible coverage for preventative care even before PPACA was signed into law.
I'm waiting for a cheat-cheat, like a feature on "Good Morning America" that would say something like "under the PPACA, here are the new options.." to help us decide. Of course, the situation definitely is not concrete enough at this time.

On the PPACA, just saw a article about that on Yahoo today. The entire article might be too political, so I'm not going to link it. But an important point from the article:

"Open enrollment for exchange plans is scheduled to start Oct. 1, 2013, and coverage will be effective Jan. 1, 2014." So this time next year, folk may be enrolling or at least analyzing their options.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is the open enrollment just for "uninsured" ? What happens if your on a COBRA plan, can you move to the new plans with the open enrollment.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Now the election is over, and the make up of the result almost guarantees no changes, I think we'll start seeing more information and cheat sheets.

Most of it is out there, but it is so buried in thick bureaucratic lingo it is hard to digest.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Wisconsin is not going to do anything until they are forced to...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Is the open enrollment just for "uninsured" ? What happens if your on a COBRA plan, can you move to the new plans with the open enrollment.
My understanding is that anyone can use the exchanges starting 1/1/2014. And if you start COBRA today (or started any time after July 1 of this year), you will be able to stay on it all the way until this date. In other words, it may have just become a little safer to retire based on the health insurance considerations since I now pretty much agree with this take (any changes between now and then would likely be tinkering around the edges):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Now the election is over, and the make up of the result almost guarantees no changes, I think we'll start seeing more information and cheat sheets.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Wisconsin is not going to do anything until they are forced to...........
Actually, there is no forcing here, because there is a default option to a federally run exchange.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Information! I need information!!
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
My understanding is that anyone can use the exchanges starting 1/1/2014. And if you start COBRA today (or started any time after July 1 of this year), you will be able to stay on it all the way until this date. In other words, it may have just become a little safer to retire based on the health insurance considerations since I now pretty much agree with this take (any changes between now and then would likely be tinkering around the edges):
That was my understanding as well. In some of the docs I have read it mentions being a "qualified" individual to do open enrollment, so what exactly is a "qualified" individual.

I found this def.

Qualified individual means, with respect to an Exchange, an individual who has been determined
eligible to enroll in a QHP in the individual market offered through the Exchange.

From here http://www.naic.org/documents/index_...mary_chart.pdf

Best I can determine is "eligible" refers whether you get medicaid or choose a plan based on FPL.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
This was my thinking as well. Many states have been sitting on their hands waiting to see the outcome of the election before they devote substantial resources to developing these exchanges and the policies and procedures surrounding them. I imagine in the next six to nine months we will have a more concrete idea of what they will look like.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

The initial open enrollment period on the various health insurance exchanges is scheduled to start October 1, 2013, for coverage starting January 1, 2014.

A web site collecting the various fact sheets and FAQs related to the exchanges and the Affordable Care Act is at:
http://cciio.cms.gov/resources/facts...index.html#hie
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
The initial open enrollment period on the various health insurance exchanges is scheduled to start October 1, 2013, for coverage starting January 1, 2014.

A web site collecting the various fact sheets and FAQs related to the exchanges and the Affordable Care Act is at:
Fact Sheets & Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) | cciio.cms.gov
Excellent link, very useful. Thanks!