Join Early Retirement Today

Health Insurance Premium Poll- Bronze
Old 06-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Health Insurance Premium Poll- Bronze

Hi I am on my company plan and it has been a while since I have been in the individual plan marketplace.

We will definitely not receive an AC subsidy. I was wondering what families are paying for bronze plans HPHP, we are a family of five me 50, DW 40, 11, 10, and 8? If you are a family of three/four, what is the cost for each child?

I am guessing the premium is between $1,700- and $1,900? We live in Fairfield County CT, so I understand it is based on cost of health to some extent in your area, so urban areas might be a good proxy.

Thanks for any input.
StuckinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2021, 05:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why not go on an insurance site and get quotes?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

The base cost for DH and I on a HD/HSA bronze plan is $1177 per month. I have no idea what that would be with dependent children.

You really can't guess though. It varies by county, state, and plan provider, with a huge range.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you live in CT, here is a link to compare plans, you don't have to sign in, just answer the questions to get your pricing and plans at all the metal levels. If it's anything like the California ACA site, it takes seconds to fill in the info that they ask for.

https://www.accesshealthct.com/AHCT/...loadFamilyInfo
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

We're in Connecticut and early 60s no kids at home and no subsidy. Paying just under $1800 a month for a bronze plan with $6000+ annual deductible per person. Luckily we do get a retiree reimbursement from my former company that covers about 60% of the premiums. Go to accesshealthct.com and you can shop the plans that are available.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #6
gone traveling

So many nice folks here seem unaware of the various medicare levels & additional insurance substitutes that fail to match their index. Medicare A&B/ A,B,C,D,E,F,G etc..

Unwell business operations can continue operating a long time till final capitulation and ultimate bankruptcy.

I try, however my communication skills are lacking.
Humans repeatedly display herd animal spirits, levels & behaviors.

Good luck & Best wishes.......
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #7

Here in CA - without ACA premium tax credits (and state credits) our HDHP with HSA through Kaiser is $1168. This is for me (age 59) and our two adult kids (ages 18 and 20).

Kids are < $300 each.
I'm expensive... It goes up at a higher rate for me - as I age - than for the kids... Getting old is expensive when it comes to health insurance. Saw a big jump at age 55, and expect a big jump next year when I'm 60.

As you probably know the premium tax credit is based on the second cheapest silver plan in your zipcode... Since insurance premiums are very location dependent - there is no good way to compare my cali PTC to what you might get in CT.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:50 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
If you live in CT, here is a link to compare plans, you don't have to sign in, just answer the questions to get your pricing and plans at all the metal levels. If it's anything like the California ACA site, it takes seconds to fill in the info that they ask for.

I am very familiar with Access health. It requires you to login and basically apply for health insurance to get a quote. There is no way to get an idea of what health insurance will cost without actually applying for it in CT.

I am also trying to get a sense of what others pay around the country. I am guessing that my annual cost with $7k HSA will be over, $30k, and perhaps $35k.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:21 PM   #9

That's weird. I was able to get the information using your county and my age / salary details without creating an account or logging just by clicking compare plans and was given information for 18 plans ( all metal levels )
Pricing was a lot cheaper than what I'm currently paying

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 7.17.08 PM.png
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
So many nice folks here seem unaware of the various medicare levels & additional insurance substitutes that fail to match their index. Medicare A&B/ A,B,C,D,E,F,G etc..

Unwell business operations can continue operating a long time till final capitulation and ultimate bankruptcy.

I try, however my communication skills are lacking.
Humans repeatedly display herd animal spirits, levels & behaviors.

Good luck & Best wishes.......
OP is 50. Medicare generally starts at age 65.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
That's weird. I was able to get the information using your county and my age / salary details without creating an account or logging just by clicking compare plans and was given information for 18 plans ( all metal levels )
Pricing was a lot cheaper than what I'm currently paying

Attachment 39179
^^^^ This. I had no problems getting into the plan comparison tool on the AccessHealthCT website. At my income and age, If I lived in Middlesex county, CT, I could have 7 Gold plans to pick from ranging from $66.08 to $1083.75 per month after factoring in a $933.73 premium subsidy.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Well, you may have just made an important discovery for me- and you are correct on the website. The last time I used it three or four years ago I had to act like I was applying to get a quote and then I was bombarded with texts and emails on insurance, as well as mail from Access CT.

The most important discovery however is though my premium was on the low end of my guess, which was in itself good news, but it appears I qualify for a subsidy of almost $1k per month with $225k AGI. I need to look into this further, but if this is the case my premium would be $670 a month which basically puts me over the top retirement wise.

I know our new Governor has explored expanding Access Health but I was always under the impression there is no premium credit over $110k AGI.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinCT View Post
I know our new Governor has explored expanding Access Health but I was always under the impression there is no premium credit over $110k AGI.
That changed as part of the American Rescue Plan Act, which was a federal law passed in March. It had little to nothing to do with any state governor.

Note that this particular change will only last two years. It is currently due to sunset at the end of 2022 unless further changes are made to the law.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
That changed as part of the American Rescue Plan Act, which was a federal law passed in March. It had little to nothing to do with any state governor.

Note that this particular change will only last two years. It is currently due to sunset at the end of 2022 unless further changes are made to the law.
Thanks for this. I did figure this out after a morning meeting, and found an interesting article that speculated on beyond 2022.

Once the government gives something away, it is hard for it to take it back. I would expect that there will be some type of extension, but not in its full form. There were components of the bill that applied to COBRA payments and Silver Plans that they may take back for example.

I would guess some form of the bronze subsidy sticks at a higher income level. The ACA was passed on the backs of the middle class and the ARP may be the Trojan horse to fix that. I do think the ARP is a little too generous, so I would be fine if they found some middle ground. The ACA crushed people like me.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Give this a try: Healthsherpa.com
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote