Healthy Foods for Slowing Aging

I said in another post,
" I have not seen and can not find any link between SeroVital or HGH and Dr. Sinclair"
Well, today I ran across Dr. Sinclair being ask about HGH and Testosterone. His response is a bit cryptic in that he doesn't say I take HGH, but slightly intimates at it.
It's not clear to me.
https://youtu.be/-wApz_zqQIQ?t=1553

One thing I find interesting to note is that many of the nutrition gurus don't actually look very healthy. One of the nutrition experts got dis-invited from an obesity conference for planning to show slides on how fat some of the other invited, expert speakers looked. These were the people who had polar opposite advice from his. I think it was a fair point. If their advice really worked, wouldn't they use it on themselves?

Some of the other famous nutrition authors look old beyond their years so I don't think I'd be taking their advice any time soon, either.

One thing I find interesting to note is that many of the nutrition gurus don't actually look very healthy.
Not sure if this came up because you noticed Dr. Sinclair, but if you didn't, he's 50yrs old and looks to be under 40.

One of my favorite foods for longevity is purple sweet potatoes. I'm making split pea soup today with chopped veggies and for some of the veggies using purple sweet potatoes. I buy them at ethnic markets -

"One of the pillars of the Okinawan diet, Okinawan imo is a supercharged purple sweet potato, a cousin of the common yellow-orange varieties that has been an island staple since the 17th century. Despite its saccharine flavor, it does not spike blood sugar as much as a regular white potato. Like other sweet potatoes, it contains antioxidants called sporamin, which possesses a variety of potent anti-aging properties. The purple version contains higher levels than its orange and yellow cousins. This superfood is high in complex carbs, has a surprisingly low glycemic load, and packs the antioxidant punch with anthocyanin (the compound that makes blueberries blue). Okinawans typically serve sweet potatoes steamed, which perfectly renders their creamy texture and sweet flavor."

https://www.today.com/food/4-recipes-could-help-you-live-longer-t169097

Jack Daniels must be on the list or I will ignore it.
Pizza also.
Chocolate.

Quoting from the story linked above -

Richard Overton, one of America’s oldest-surviving World War II veterans, would have most likely agreed. Right up until his death at age 112, the supercentenarian smoked cigars, drank whisky and ate fried food and ice cream on a daily basis.

Hinohara might not have approved of Overton’s diet, but, to be fair, Overton did credit his longevity to maintaining a “stress-free life and keeping busy.”

One of my favorite foods for longevity is purple sweet potatoes. I'm making split pea soup today with chopped veggies and for some of the veggies using purple sweet potatoes. I buy them at ethnic markets -

"One of the pillars of the Okinawan diet, Okinawan imo is a supercharged purple sweet potato, a cousin of the common yellow-orange varieties that has been an island staple since the 17th century. Despite its saccharine flavor, it does not spike blood sugar as much as a regular white potato. Like other sweet potatoes, it contains antioxidants called sporamin, which possesses a variety of potent anti-aging properties. The purple version contains higher levels than its orange and yellow cousins. This superfood is high in complex carbs, has a surprisingly low glycemic load, and packs the antioxidant punch with anthocyanin (the compound that makes blueberries blue). Okinawans typically serve sweet potatoes steamed, which perfectly renders their creamy texture and sweet flavor."

Almost all of the dark red/dark blue/purple colored fruits and vegetables are very good for you. The purple color usually indicates that they are rich in anthocyanins, which have numerous antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, and protect against disease. Veggies and fruits that come to mind include beets, red cabbage, red onions, radish, red-skinned potatoes, and many berries (blackberries, blueberries,grapes, elderberries, currants, etc). Most red wine also contains anthocyanins, which is probably one reason why a glass or two of red wine now and then is good for you......

Almost all of the dark red/dark blue/purple colored fruits and vegetables are very good for you. The purple color usually indicates that they are rich in anthocyanins, which have numerous antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, and protect against disease. Veggies and fruits that come to mind include beets, red cabbage, red onions, radish, red-skinned potatoes, and many berries (blackberries, blueberries,grapes, elderberries, currants, etc). Most red wine also contains anthocyanins, which is probably one reason why a glass or two of red wine now and then is good for you......

Purple potatoes are supposed to be good, too, though I have been having trouble finding them.

"Baked purple-fleshed potatoes suppressed the growth of colon cancer tumors in petri dishes and in mice by targeting the cancer's stem cells...According to the researchers, there may be several substances in purple potatoes that work simultaneously on multiple pathways to help kill the colon cancer stem cells, including anthocyanins and chlorogenic acid, and resistant starch.."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/08/150826144122.htm

I'm counting on the red wine factor, although a chilled white or rose' in the heat of a hot humid summer, is keeping my life longer on the deck every night, unless we have to go to front porch.

I don't eat anything on the list and i'm not going to start now. If that takes a hand full of years off the end of my life i'm ok with that. Those probably wouldn't be very good years anyway.

tumblr_nn8morZW7f1tb3eifo1_1280.jpg

I don't eat anything on the list and i'm not going to start now. If that takes a hand full of years off the end of my life i'm ok with that. Those probably wouldn't be very good years anyway.

People differ in many ways.

For example, I try to eat better so as to enjoy a more active healthy lifestyle in my remaining years. That is priority #1. Priority #2 is adding more years to my life.

I'm sure the health gurus would fine that I could do many things to eat even better, just as the gym rats always have ways one can do a better workout. But, what I do for myself seems to be a good compromise for me. To each his own.

Flour and sugar...the less you consume, the better for your overall health.

Fresh veggies and fruit? Bring ‘em on!

Really :confused: Enough already . Eat fresh foods with one name , like apple , cod , zucchini, banana etc . There is no damn magic . My sister who watched everything she ate just passed away from pancreatic cancer . 58 YO did all the things , colonoscopies, ate right exercised . So I’m tired of all of these posts . Bottom line we are not promised tomorrow.

I watched a couple of videos with longevity researcher Valter Longo the other day that seemed interesting. I checked a library ebook out of his called, "The Longevity Diet: Discover the New Science Behind Stem Cell Activation and Regeneration to Slow Aging, Fight Disease and Optimize Weight."

If has a fair bit of overlap with the Blue Zones guidelines, but the Blue Zones guidelines are more observational studies of what people who lived longer ate while his research is more lab oriented experiments on humans and animals. Overall he recommends periodic fasting plus a low protein, mostly vegan diet with some fish, and more protein after age 65. He has a summary of his diet guidelines on his web site here: https://valterlongo.com/daily-longevity-diet-for-adults/

There is an interview here where he explains the research behind his recommendations: https://www.bluezones.com/2018/01/the-longevity-diet/

Last edited:
I've eaten less red meat, more fresh fruits and veggies and chicken. My skin looks more plump and less wrinkles. I also drink lots of water and several cups of peppermint tea a day.

For those interested in a complimentary webinar about "Revolution Against Aging and Death", you can join the "RAADfest 2020 Sneak Peak Preview" will begin on: Aug 29, 2020 11:00 AM Pacific Time.

This might read like an ad, but I thought I'd lay out a few facts and just get this on the table, because this has relevance to us (more than most posts on this board, hehe). And some of us need to blow some dough. The actual 3 day event costs money (advanced ticket purchase is $147 and 'at the door' [day of event?] is $100 more). It is all online. It's considered tax deductible in the US because it's a "not for profit" event, but we all know how valuable that write-off has become. Maybe we should have a "watch party" thread.
This live event from Denver just a few hours ago. I'll watch and report later. If you care to join, the discount code is still available if you use code ARN, it's $197. I treated my payment as kind of a donation or a vote for "fogies for healthspan". I wouldn't be posting this except that it's probably of central interest to those of us who retired early.

Hot peppermint tea 3x a day. Keeps my skin plump and fresh, aids in digestion, gets you a good night sleep and every supermarket sells it. It doesn't help grow hair though...

Back
Top Bottom