Healthy stuff that may hurt

If I drank beer by the quart/liter, I'd be even more worthless than I already am...

As for the topic in general, there are so many charlatans like Dr. Oz, and so many "lose a million pounds in only ten seconds a day with the Thighmaster" commercials, that it's no wonder most folks are confused...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

Can I save up all my two drinks a day until the weekend?
:D

Maybe it's a genetic thing. I'm half Irish and half German, both known for alcohol consumption (for good or ill, I'm not saying). At any rate, my consumption has honestly averaged two beers a day for 30-40 years. Granted, there are days when I have several more, but there are just as many days when I have one or none. Overall, it really does work out to two a day, which (by total coincidence) is the recommended quantity for men.

Same ethnic b/g here. I can't drink very much because alcohol gives me a headache. My system seems to recognize it as t h e poison it is :facepalm: I really like the taste of wine, beer, and liqueurs, but must consume with caution or I will feel ill quickly.

Maybe it's a genetic thing. I'm half Irish and half German, both known for alcohol consumption (for good or ill, I'm not saying). At any rate, my consumption has honestly averaged two beers a day for 30-40 years. Granted, there are days when I have several more, but there are just as many days when I have one or none. Overall, it really does work out to two a day, which (by total coincidence) is the recommended quantity for men.

Do you consider yourself little/somewhat/much healthier than others? :)

I have been drinking 1 - 2 drinks (beer or wine) per day for the last few years and attempted cutting it down to 1 per day without success. I will consider again after reading your health report. :D

When we moved into our casa in cow country, I was a veggie teetotaler. I lasted 6 years, until age 60 before I thought that I could have a glass of wine. Now days one 5oz of red wine is it for me. Of course cruises and travel are good reasons for for a little more taste of the local fare.

Do you consider yourself little/somewhat/much healthier than others? :)

I have been drinking 1 - 2 drinks (beer or wine) per day for the last few years and attempted cutting it down to 1 per day without success. I will consider again after reading your health report. :D

Actually, I consider myself rather healthier than most my age (69). I do 3-4 half-marathons each year, and this year I'm going to try a full marathon again (after an 8-year hiatus). My BMI is 25.0 and all my annual blood test numbers are great. I take no medications (just a daily multivitamin). I have plenty of energy, no trouble sleeping, and really no complaints about my health at all (beyond the normal enlarged prostate gland, which is pretty much inevitable for most of us).

I do follow a LCHF diet, but as my father used to sing, "I eat when I'm hungry, I drink when I'm dry, and if whiskey [or in my case, beer] don't kill me, I'll live till I die."

Same ethnic b/g here. I can't drink very much because alcohol gives me a headache. My system seems to recognize it as t h e poison it is :facepalm: I really like the taste of wine, beer, and liqueurs, but must consume with caution or I will feel ill quickly.

Stick to small quantities then, but also consider drinking LOTS of water before/during/after your small sample. Dehydration can have a big effect, and the water will at least dilute it in your system.

-ERD50

To Drink or Not to Drink? That Is the Question

Here's a study suggesting your lifespan maxes out with 4 drinks a day. A level that many consider abusive and even approaching alcoholism. Fortunately, I am not one of the many.

So imbibe to your content if it agrees with you and your constitution. Just avoid driving and heavy machinery (probably light machinery too).

Alcohol consumption is measured in standard units.
Leaving aside exceptional examples, the typical definition of "a drink" in this country is 18 ml of alcohol:
  • 12 oz of beer
  • 5 oz of wine
  • 1.5 oz of liquor
Standard drink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But read the labels (or ask at pubs) for actual alcohol content. Many specialty brewhouses in US have info about their beers posted.

Alcoholic beers widely available in US range from about 2.4% (Bud Select 55, Molson Light) to 4-5% for most mainstream brews (Bud, Miller, Coors) to 5-6% for most "Ice" beers and pale ales, to 9-10+% for many specialty /craft beers (Sam Adams Imperial). Some specialty brews even hit 14-15+%. Down a six-pack of ultralights and you're still under the alcohol content of many single stiff beers.
AlcoholContents.com | Quickly Search & Find Beer Alcohol Content
Similar issue for wines. A 5oz glass of a solid port (20+%) has more alcohol than three glasses of a light Claret (6%).
Alcohol Content of Wine

If you're doing multiple shots of hard liquors....well yer on yer own :nonono: :sick:

To Drink or Not to Drink? That Is the Question

Here's a study suggesting your lifespan maxes out with 4 drinks a day. A level that many consider abusive and even approaching alcoholism. Fortunately, I am not one of the many.

So imbibe to your content if it agrees with you and your constitution. Just avoid driving and heavy machinery (probably light machinery too).

"Imbibe to your content" :confused:. These authors state "FEWER (emphasis mine) than 4 drinks per day in men and fewer than 2 drinks per day in women appeared to confer benefit." Graphs in Figures 1 & 2 in the article show that lifespan maxes seem to be in the 1-2 drinks/day range, with 3 being associated with less benefit. And this review concentrated on cardiovascular effects, and benefits do seem to be real for modest consumption. OTOH- High alcohol consumption harms the heart and is associated with other diseases as well (liver disease, pancreatitis, cancer, immune system problems, alcoholism).
Alcohol's Effects on the Body | National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom