Join Early Retirement Today

Hearing Aids?
Old 04-25-2021, 05:05 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hearing Aids?

It has become obvious that my wife has suffered some degree of hearing loss and may need a hearing aid. She is scheduled to be tested next week. Just about the only thing I know about hearing aids are that they are not covered by my insurance and are very expensive. Does anyone have experiences or advice? Thanks much.
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2021, 05:32 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

If you have a Costco in your area be sure to check them out. I strongly recommend them for hearing aids, as does Consumer Reports. They are the largest HA retailer in the US (by far), have excellent prices, and have great customer service.

Costco offers a 180 day trial period, a three year warranty and will replace a lost HA for free during the first two years of the warranty period (limited to once per side). Both DW and I purchased our HAs from them and have been very happy with their service.

EDIT: Here is a link to more info https://www.hearingtracker.com/hearing-aids/costco
Old 04-25-2021, 07:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 on Costco - and their free hearing test showed exactly the same hearing range for me that the $ hearing test did. Cheap batteries (if you go that route). Costco replaced one aid for me - free - when the battery door broke and has made several adjustments and in the ear dome replacements. Just no downside and about 1/2 to 2/3 the price.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The fellow I know who got Costco hearing aids says he loves them.

I wonder if the makers of those really expensive hearing aids are feeling the pressure from Costco and other companies and will start lowering their prices?
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #5

I bought a pair of the new design Phonak hearing aids from Connect Hearing.
They are Bluetooth enabled and I pair them with my smartphone. I can hear and talk on my phone through them. I also have a TV adapter that is independent of the TV volume.
I believe they were about $3500, and well worth it.
I had a choice between rechargeable and batteries. To me, the problem with rechargable is the die at the wrong time. The batteries are cheap through eBay.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:59 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I bought a pair of the new design Phonak hearing aids from Connect Hearing.
They are Bluetooth enabled and I pair them with my smartphone. I can hear and talk on my phone through them. I also have a TV adapter that is independent of the TV volume.
I believe they were about $3500, and well worth it.
I had a choice between rechargeable and batteries. To me, the problem with rechargable is the die at the wrong time. The batteries are cheap through eBay.
Costo sells their rechargeable Kirkland Signature brand hearing aids for $1,399 (model 10.0). They are made by Sunova for Costco, the same folks who make Phonak, and are almost identical to Phonak's Audéo Paradise model.

I have Costco's battery powered 9.0 model as does DW. She has problems with fine motor skills and has difficulty changing those small batteries. Thankfully Costco introduced their 10.0 rechargeable model during DWs 180 day trial period and she has an appointment to return the 9.0 HAs and get the newer, rechargeable 10.0 model. She may even get a $100 refund as the new HAs are $100 cheaper than the older 9.0 model.*

* Costco comes out with a new, improved HA every 2-3 years and has reduced the price by $100 each time. Their first model was $1,999 and the latest model, released early this month, is now down to $1,399 per pair.
Old 04-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

My youngest daughter was born with a severe hearing loss. She started wearing hearing aids at one year old. We went through many hearing aids when she was growing up.

Cost of each hearing aid ranged between $2,500 to $3,500 depending on features. The one she has now is digital, blue tooth capable and has a fairly long battery life.

Also, every six months or so she would need a new ear mold or a repair. Ongoing maintenance of the hearing aid was a few dollars too.

And those little batteries that power the hearing aid. Get them in bulk at CostCo.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Get rechargeable ones. Hunting for batteries or having them die when you are out is a pain. Also, the advertised price is about 25% high. They will negotiate if you try (not Costco).
Do NOT get pressured into buying. They will give you a "free" trial and then start bugging you to pay. Stay firm, shop around and get a lower price.
justlikebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #9

Costco.

DW and I both have Costco hearing aids. Me from the get go maybe 8 years ago and finally got her to switch maybe 4 years ago and she had been using audiologist sold hearing aids for 10 years before that. Needless to say that she was reluctant to believe that Costco at half price and far better exchange/warranty could be as good. And of course they are every bit as good and it's Costco as far as aftercare goes. Their testing center was also state of the art.

Everyone we have ever recommended Costco to has been very happy with their hearing aid products and service.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if batteries have improved any, since I tried hearing aids a few years ago.

I have high-frequency hearing loss in the speech range, which affected my hearing in open-plan offices. FEHB covered all but $2500 of the cost of Phonak aids.

The aids were amazing. I could, again, hear and understand different people speaking over each other, including women's voices, which was where my difficulty had mainly been. Birdsong and music were clearer too.

But the aids ceased to be important when I moved to a private office; and the batteries drove me nuts. I don't see how an old person, with stiff fingers and poor eyesight, could even manage them. The batteries are teeny and barely last a week, the battery door is fragile, and heaven forbid I should take out the aids and not leave the battery door open enough - the batteries drained during the night and quit on me the next morning.

Not to mention, the batteries lasted differing amounts of time, so I ended up keeping a #$!@ little notebook to remind me which battery (L or R) had died and been changed most recently.

The upshot is that these expensive little gadgets are somewhere in my personal effects, probably corroded or something. I haven't worn them in years. And it's all because of those %$*& batteries. EDIT: Although I see from other posts that rechargeable batteries exist, that would not solve the above-mentioned issues.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 01:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have gotten two sets of hearing aids at Costco and liked them. Reviews indicate they are half the price of similar devices from audiologists.
Old 04-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely try out Costco if you can. I have a pair of KS9's and they are great. The KS10's are now available at $1399 a pair. If can't use Costco suggest TruHearing (TruHearing.com) - great prices too. Wherever you go make sure they have a trial period with full refund, Costco probable has the best of this at 180 days. Also make sure you are comfortable with the audiologist/technicians. Costco saves money by not having audiologist but I went there, free hearing test, free trial. Win win. Good luck. Hearing is so nice
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I have the phonak hearing aids which I put in a charger at night. I bought them from an audiologist who happens to be a close family friend. I feel very fortunate as the going rate was 5K and I got them for 3K via her friend and family discount. She said the ones at Costco were a generation behind. I have no idea if this is correct but doubt that she would not be honest with me. I was concerned about having the latest technology. I am only 56 and was not at all happy about this hearing aid journey..... and know I will be buying many more sets so wanted the most current technology. FWIW
FFC1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Husband's hearing aids are from Kaiser, the same brand he purchased years ago from an audiologist. The technology improvements over the years are mind-boggling. His Oticon aids are blue-tooth enabled, he can answer his cell phone by pressing a button on a "connect clip".
Old 04-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

FFC1964, by put them in a charger at night, do you mean the aids themselves re-charge during the night? No inserting/removing batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFC1964 View Post
I have the phonak hearing aids which I put in a charger at night.
FWIW
Old 04-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #16

Add me to the chorus of recommending Costco. I've had their hearing aids for several years now. Their ongoing customer service has been superlative. I've needed one or two adjustments/repair over the years and they did it promptly, and at no additional cost. If/when I need to replace my hearing aids, I will get them again at Costco.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco. And its about more than just hearing loss. There is evidence that the brain starts turning off frequencies that aren’t being heard much. Also a link to dementia for people with untreated hearing loss. For many years my dad and I both suffered. Friends used to call us “Huh?” and “What?”. They are far cheaper than they have ever been. And certainly cheaper than dementia.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
FFC1964, by put them in a charger at night, do you mean the aids themselves re-charge during the night? No inserting/removing batteries?

Yes! The hearing aid itself goes into the charger....no batteries involved.
FFC1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFC1964 View Post
I have the phonak hearing aids which I put in a charger at night. I bought them from an audiologist who happens to be a close family friend. I feel very fortunate as the going rate was 5K and I got them for 3K via her friend and family discount. She said the ones at Costco were a generation behind. I have no idea if this is correct but doubt that she would not be honest with me. I was concerned about having the latest technology. I am only 56 and was not at all happy about this hearing aid journey..... and know I will be buying many more sets so wanted the most current technology. FWIW

My audiologist, who i trust, told me the same thing about the new Phonak hearing aids. He said they were not an improved version, but a completely new design.

I love the connection with my smartphone, but people in the market look weirdly at me as it seems I am talking to myself.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:55 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

They are certainly behind the times. People have been "talking to themselves" via earpieces for at least 15 years, such that when I really do talk to myself in public and see someone looking, I merely say, "Oh, gotta go...bye now!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post

I love the connection with my smartphone, but people in the market look weirdly at me as it seems I am talking to myself.