Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2019, 01:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Regarding the brain issue of hearing all sounds at once, that is often, in the extreme, identified with Sensory Processing Disorder, which is apparently somewhere on the autism spectrum. When people, especially children hear all sounds undifferentiated and at once, that can be the cause of some painful meltdowns.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I went for a hearing test recently because my wife kept complaining that I wasn’t hearing her. The audiologist told me that the good news was that my hearing was in excellent shape but the bad news is that I will have to tell my wife that I can hear her but am not listening to what she says.
Exactly.
1. My first wife sent me to the audiologist when I was 32. He said: "You have selective deafness. Many husbands..."
2. My second and current wife sent me at age 71. He said: "Your hearing is fine". He lacked the humor gene.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu007 View Post
Ah, sorry, tmm99, I missed that comment. Yes, it sounds like you have suffered with Auditory Processing Disorder, which is no fun to deal with as a child/teenager! It can manifest in various ways...:

Check out this overview on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audito...ssing_disorder
Wow, thank you so much for the link! I didn't even know that this was a disorder with a name! Some of the symptoms ring true to me although I think mine is a very mild case of it. When someone is spewing out a huge and long instruction verbally (even in a quiet environment), I may have to ask them to slow down so my brain can catch up, whereas I may read the same instruction or some instruction more complicated and I can read it faster and get it right away. I thought a lot of people are like that, but I guess not! I actually know someone just like me (my former co-worker with an engineering degree from Berkely), so I guess I'm not in a bad company, but interestingly, one of his children has dyslexia.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Did your hearing test show that you have trouble hearing certain frequencies in addition to having issues hearing conversations in restaurants?
For me, yes. I'm a retired police officer and for most of 29 years I had to qualify with a variety of weapons twice per year. (State law only required once, but we did it every six months.) After retirement a hearing test showed a "notch" of hearing loss that was "consistent with" exposure to gunfire. Duh. We always wore hearing protection but evidently that wasn't enough, for me anyway.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recall one time on this site there was a hearing joke about a man asking his wife 'what's for dinner' with the punch line involving 'chicken'. I've used that joke several times to relate to male relatives that they may need a 'hearing test'. Unfortunately, the intended subject never gets it, but the joke makes everyone else's lives more bearable.

Best joke ever.

[edit, I found the joke, posted by frayne:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...20756-194.html

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's not always the high ranges that go first. I lost a significant portion of my low range in Aug. of 1976. Too close to the stage at a Who concert. My ears were ringing for three days. I had a hearing test in '83 for a job that verified it was permanent but not important.

However, I'm now having the same (probably age related) loss of ability to hear conversations in crowds and dialog on TV. But so far it's just a mild annoyance.