Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
At 10% disabled, you get $130.94 every month, tax-free, with COLA, for the rest of your life.

You get access to the VA Medical care, if you need it. Free. $8 per month prescriptions, free hearing aids.

The VA health care meets the Obama care requirements, so you do not have to buy more, if you can make sure the VA is the only place you will ever go. Of you can go with a higher deductible policy for emergencies only.

With the Veteran's health care card (VIC), you also get 10% off at Home Depot and Lowes. Other discounts are available as well.
Thanks, Senator.

I guess I should look into it. The 10% off is enticing all by itself. It will be a good winter project.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Help for Tinnitus
Old 04-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Help for Tinnitus

Thank you all for your responses. It's good to know I am not alone. I have been told tinnitus is due to kidney yin deficiency according to TCM. I will be taking some herbs and will follow up.
ShustS6512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShustS6512 View Post
Thank you all for your responses. It's good to know I am not alone. I have been told tinnitus is due to kidney yin deficiency according to TCM. I will be taking some herbs and will follow up.
TCM works an amazing amount of time for us for minor ailments, and there doesn't appear to be any harm in favoring one group of healthy foods for a time compared to just a random American diet. I am always surprised more people do not investigate these inexpensive, benign types of options. There are a variety of used TCM books on Amazon for a penny plus shipping.

I have a book I've bought but not read yet that reviews many of the TCM remedies that have been validated by Western research studies.

Good luck.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
At 10% disabled, you get $130.94 every month, tax-free, with COLA, for the rest of your life.

You get access to the VA Medical care, if you need it. Free. $8 per month prescriptions, free hearing aids.

The VA health care meets the Obama care requirements, so you do not have to buy more, if you can make sure the VA is the only place you will ever go. Of you can go with a higher deductible policy for emergencies only.

With the Veteran's health care card (VIC), you also get 10% off at Home Depot and Lowes. Other discounts are available as well.
+1~ Even free scripts

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
When I was in the Air Force, over 40 years ago, my hearing went down quite a bit every year. I listened to too many jet engines during that time. I have had tinnitus all these years since. I have never considered it to be a disability. I am now getting to the point where it is frustrating to have to ask people to repeat themselves. What would be the benefit of being declared 10% disabled by the VA to someone who is retired and drawing a pension and SS?
Hermit:

I'm in the same camp as you (I think). Lost a lot of hearing around jet engines in the Air Force between 1964 and 1968. Now collecting SS and never filed a claim with the VA.

Is there any age limit on filing a claim?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #26

Ginkgo Biloba is also being looked at ---

Researchers have studied ginkgo for many other conditions, including ADHD, depression and other psychological conditions, multiple sclerosis, and tinnitus from a vascular origin. Some people are also using ginkgo to prevent high altitude sickness, though studies have not yet established that it’s effective for that. Many uses of ginkgo show promise, but more research needs to be done.

Ginkgo Biloba Supplement Information From WebMD

Whether it works or not, you gotta admit there is a certain amount of status in being able to tell your friends----Yeah, I'm on that Ginkgo Biloba
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Is there any age limit on filing a claim?
My hearing was damaged in 1967 on a .45 pistol range @ Ft Benning. I filed the VA claim about 4 years ago. It was approved last March.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My hearing was damaged in 1967 on a .45 pistol range @ Ft Benning. I filed the VA claim about 4 years ago. It was approved last March.
Every time I had a hearing test, they said they were establishing a new baseline. I doubt if they can find any records now if they couldn't find them back then. Like I said, it will be interesting. 4 years - Ya gotta love the goverment efficiency!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote