Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I would like to take F too, but every agent I have spoken to recommends G instead. Same but you pay the small Medicare Deductible ($185). They say that in 2020 when it goes away, existing grandfathered (Grandmothered) policy holders will see their premiums rise as the pool diminishes, and they may/will be liable to underwriting in order to change over. They also say virtually everyone they signup is taking G.
G instead of F or G over all other options? My broker told me that since MN has a "unique" way of offering supplements that right now over 300K people were using a cost plan which goes away Jan 1 and due to a special state endorsed plan that Blue Cross calls Senior Gold almost no one in this state gets an F plan. We don't have the G plan option. He said the pool of existing F customers in this state is tiny and he wouldn't recommend it anyone.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

G instead of F. State dependent, YMMV.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

F for the win. It has always been the most popular plan. Not sure I believe some salesman saying it isn't now. Don't have to think about a thing and the medical folks love it. In California, I can switch to G without underwriting under the birthday rule if the premiums rise too fast.

Still considering F Extra, however, because it's less expensive for the first year. Anyone use the Blue Shield Silver Sneakers benefit?
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I agree F would be a win for me too if it were not for the possible underwriting to shift over later. No birthday law here in Florida.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Hearing aid coverage could be valuable at some point. I already have vision coverage through the pension system. The intriguing aspect is that the Blue Shield policy is less expensive than the AARP plan after the $25 discount for 12 months. And they have Silver Sneakers, although the only local participant is 24 hour Fitness. I was thinking of trying it out and switching to the AARP plan after a year if I did not like it under the California birthday rule. Hence, my earlier question in another thread about switching in 2020, after Plan F is closed.
Makes sense. If you have the opportunity to change MediGap supplement plans you should do so.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:54 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wonder if G instead of F is mostly based on the insurance broker’s assumption that saving $200 is the most important thing for everyone. They may not consider the audience. I’m not looking for lower premiums, necessarily, but simplifying my life. For many insurance buyers cost is everything.

On drug policies, part D, cost IS everything but that’s different.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
G instead of F or G over all other options? My broker told me that since MN has a "unique" way of offering supplements that right now over 300K people were using a cost plan which goes away Jan 1 and due to a special state endorsed plan that Blue Cross calls Senior Gold almost no one in this state gets an F plan. We don't have the G plan option. He said the pool of existing F customers in this state is tiny and he wouldn't recommend it anyone.
Sounds like a sales pitch. In your shoes, I would research this plan carefully and look at the stats about how many really people buy F in Minnesota. Looks like Senior Gold is a PPO based on the web page. Call a couple of other agents and get their perspective as well.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Boomerbenefits.com was one of the agents that said virtually every plan they were selling was a G not an F.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
My broker told me that since MN has a "unique" way of offering supplements that right now over 300K people were using a cost plan which goes away Jan 1 and due to a special state endorsed plan that Blue Cross calls Senior Gold almost no one in this state gets an F plan. We don't have the G plan option. He said the pool of existing F customers in this state is tiny and he wouldn't recommend it anyone.
Your broker was referring to High Deductible F (HD-F). The HD-F premium in MN is high compared to other states and is not a good value. Regular F is not allowed to be sold in MN.

Quote:
If you live in Minnesota, you have guaranteed issue rights to buy a Medigap policy, but the policies are different.

The Basic and Extended Basic plans are available. Minnesota versions of Medigap Plans K, L, M, N, and high deductible F are available.

Reference: https://www.medicare.gov/supplements...p-in-minnesota
Quote:
In your shoes, I would research this plan carefully and look at the stats about how many really people buy F in Minnesota. Looks like Senior Gold is a PPO based on the web page. Call a couple of other agents and get their perspective as well.
Blue Cross Senior Gold is a MN-specific Medigap "Basic" plan. You may want to see how the UHC/AARP "Basic" plan premium compares to the Senior Gold "Basic" premium. Most choose to add the rider to cover the Part A deductible when choosing the Basic plan.

https://www.uhcmedicaresolutions.com...ent-plans.html
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
Your broker was referring to High Deductible F (HD-F). The HD-F premium in MN is high compared to other states and is not a good value. Regular F is not allowed to be sold in MN.

Blue Cross Senior Gold is a MN-specific Medigap "Basic" plan. You may want to see how the UHC/AARP "Basic" plan premium compares to the Senior Gold "Basic" premium. Most choose to add the rider to cover the Part A deductible when choosing the Basic plan.

Thank you for all the information you have provided. I have learned a lot about Medicare from your posts.

I assume you sell all these products and in multiple states. If I'm correct, it's proof that a knowledgeable agent focused on the customer can ease the headaches and calm the fears associated with buying these policies.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:48 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like a sales pitch. In your shoes, I would research this plan carefully and look at the stats about how many really people buy F in Minnesota. Looks like Senior Gold is a PPO based on the web page. Call a couple of other agents and get their perspective as well.
No it's not, although the number are pretty tightly guarded. The problem is the 100's of thousands of people that were on the cost plans. The Advantage plans are huge sellers here too. Senior Gold is the juggernaut in this state.

By process of elimination the F plan is low enrollment. Having said that I might have gone for it except for the fact it's closing to new sales...
Old 10-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post

You got it and MN really is "good" at "protecting" us having too many choices. High ded F was a plan I would have considered if it wasn't closing to new enrollees. In fact I feel all Medi-gap plans in this state are pretty high costs compared to national numbers...
Old 10-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #53

Quote:
I would like to take F too, but every agent I have spoken to recommends G instead. Same but you pay the small Medicare Deductible ($185). They say that in 2020 when it goes away, existing grandfathered (Grandmothered) policy holders will see their premiums rise as the pool diminishes, and they may/will be liable to underwriting in order to change over. They also say virtually everyone they signup is taking G.
DH enrolled in F when he was first eligible this summer, then switched to G during the 6 month grace period you initially get. Our agent suggested this, and I've also seen this recommended a lot on here, and I do everything I'm told on this board.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #54

We both have Plan G and it is as simple as Plan F. We wait for our PLAN G provider to send the EOB and shortly after that the provider sends us their bill if the deductible hasn't been met for the year. Once we hit the deductible all we ever see if the Plan G EOB. IF we are healthy and only have an annual checkup we pocket the savings. If we hit the deductible it still costs us less than having Plan F.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #55

I just talked to an agent. Very helpful. Since I’ve been on Medicare for five years there are some other issues. For one thing if I switch from F to G there’s underwriting involved, and I might not pass. For another, my current plan does community based pricing. Most do attained age pricing. Community-based pricing would probably work out better in the long run for me, and I come from a long lived family. The one I have right now is United healthcare through AARP. So right at the moment I’m not going to change. There’s nuisance involved. I turned 70 in June, and my cost might go up on the attained age policies. G does sound a bit cheaper but to some extent I’m comparing apples and oranges. I’m comparing a community based pricing, which is a little higher right now, to an attained age policy, which is a little lower now but probably would not be that way forever.

I’m going to call AARP and see if there’s underwriting to switch me to their G plan.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:50 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahB View Post
I’m going to call AARP and see if there’s underwriting to switch me to their G plan.
As I understand it, and who really understands any of this, is that if you originally got your plan through AARP, there should be no underwriting to switch, but it is subject to change. AARP told me it was one of their requirements for sponsorship.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Sorry to about your moms' issues. However, unless her MA provider ceases its coverage in your area your mother can only go on regular medicare if she is accepted after medical underwriting. Given her medical issues that may prove hard to do.

However, during open enrollment she can choose a different MA provider effective 1-1-19 that may provide better coverage at a higher monthly cost.
She can also go on regular Medicare. Part A and Part B are not underwritten. However, if she wants a Medigap supplement these will often require underwriting.

Ha
Old 10-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #58

Quote:
As I understand it, and who really understands any of this, is that if you originally got your plan through AARP, there should be no underwriting to switch, but it is subject to change. AARP told me it was one of their requirements for sponsorship.

I just switched to plan G on AARP UnitedHealthcare. There is underwriting to switch. But I didn’t have anything they asked about. The underwriting is only for plan G.

So - something for everyone to think about... you can’t necessarily switch back and forth. “Open Enrollment” is a misnomer. You can develop conditions that will disqualify you or cause your premiums to be rated.

And as I said in an earlier post, I like the way they structure the premiums. So I’m being processed. I’m so glad we had all this discussion. I didn’t know about plan G.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #59

I recently switched from a Blue Plan F to a G at Cigna. The rep at the Blue implied there might be underwriting if I changed to their G. After talking to the Cigna rep, learned that by WA rules there is NO underwriting as long you are switching to an equal or less plan.
We saved over $50/mon each by moving and shifting to G which is considered as equal to F. Not sure if Blue rep was trying to hold onto the higher F premium or misinformed.
If you are getting the underwriting risk thrown at you, be sure to check with a broker, competition, and/or state insurance commissioner.
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
I recently switched from a Blue Plan F to a G at Cigna. The rep at the Blue implied there might be underwriting if I changed to their G. After talking to the Cigna rep, learned that by WA rules there is NO underwriting as long you are switching to an equal or less plan.
We saved over $50/mon each by moving and shifting to G which is considered as equal to F. Not sure if Blue rep was trying to hold onto the higher F premium or misinformed.
If you are getting the underwriting risk thrown at you, be sure to check with a broker, competition, and/or state insurance commissioner.
G is identical in benefits to plan F. The only difference is you pay the one time per year deductible. Plan F charges more but covers the deductible.