Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Help with Healthcare.gov website for ACA
Old 10-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Help with Healthcare.gov website for ACA

We're moving from a state with its own Exchange for ACA to a state that relies upon the Healthcare.gov site.

Are there any issues I should be aware with the Healthcare.gov site?

Is it now pretty user friendly?

Is submitting estimated MAGI a difficult process?

Any help with what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #2

I had no issues when I signed up. Pretty straight forward, no surprises. For income I was just asked for estimates.

You'll get to do it for real in a few days.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I had no issues when I signed up. Pretty straight forward, no surprises. For income I was just asked for estimates.

You'll get to do it for real in a few days.
+1
The MAGI submission is very easy. You can also speak with a rep from the exchange and they are quite helpful in signing you up.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks for replies. I guess I still remember reading horror stories on ER forum when Healthcare.gov was first set up.

Sounds like they have gotten their act together.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #5

I will echo the comments above. It really has become a pretty decent site. In case you don’t know, you can preview plans and pricing as of today. I would suggest you do everything in preview mode even after November 1 before you actually attempt to create your account. Decide on exactly the plan that you want prior to creating the account. Then when you start creating the account and start your Application, it will walk you through whatever information it needs.

When I first signed up to years ago I had a little difficulty knowing how to answer a couple of ambiguously worded questions related to when my coverage from my employer actually ended since COBRA was available to me. I answered the questions apparently incorrectly because it indicated I was not qualified for a subsidy. I knew this was not correct so I called the helpline and explained my termination dates and situation and they changed my answers on their side and that solved the problem giving me the accurate subsidy that I knew I was entitled to. I doubt you will have that problem since you’re coming from another exchange already.

As for the estimation of your income as said above, it can be as simple as you simply enter the number and it accepts that and moves on and calculates properly. However I have read comments on various forums indicating that they had to supply documentation to prove their income level. I never had to supply anything. They never asked for it and I just entered the number and they took it.

By the way I’m going the other direction. I’ve been on the federal exchange for the last two years but will be leaving it this year to use the Pennsylvania state exchange which is new this year. So I’m a little nervous myself.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In terms of supplying documentation as to proof of MAGI, I had to submit proof the first year, but not in the 2 years since. Just guessing that since my final MAGI was similar to the estimate and was in the same income range each year, they did not require proof in the subsequent years.