Join Early Retirement Today

Hernia update
Old 07-14-2022, 12:10 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hernia update

Nearly a year ago, I asked some hernia questions and am back to provide an update.
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...of-110243.html

So I had the repair done a few days ago. Woke about 3.5 hours after initial entry into OR, and they said it was because the doc decided to do the left side as well as the right, which was the side that was obvious but the left was suspected (no symptoms). Funny thing is the left side feels 0% different than before, no pain or other variation. Almost like he didn’t even do it!

Right side…seems like what’s expected. First 2 days, a bit painful, now into 6th day and walking ok but with what I can only describe as an ‘awareness’ of the work done there. Perhaps a 1 or 2/10 in terms of pain levels. Haven’t really left the house yet as both me and DW seem to have been hit with a lot of fatigue the past two days. No other symptoms so hopefully just a ‘coming down’ from the recent stress. Coughing or sneezing cause pain of about 5 or 6, which I suppose is not surprising.

Four incisions (robotic laparoscopy). About 2.5 inches above navel, left right and center, and a fourth one just under the left side rib cage, not sure why.

Overall a bit early I guess to say all-ok, but it seems to be trending in that direction. Hope this helps someone.

62M btw, overweight but in good health and regular exerciser (well, until this surgery, that is)
GoodbyeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2022, 07:57 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, I just had the same thing done 9 days ago. Both sides with robotic surgery. Less than a year ago I had two other hernias repaired, a rare giant esophageal hernia and an umbilical one at the same time. The inguinal ones this time are very simple in comparison to the esophageal one, that one was life threatening. Anyway, no tennis for 4 weeks after the surgery, or pickleball or bass fishing or running. But I did start walking 1 to 3 miles a day on day 5 after surgery. A good bit of pain the first week, that's tailing off though it kept me up last night cause I can't sleep on my side yet, too much pain. I actually popped one of the handful of oxy's the surgeon prescribed last night and it took care of the pain but kept me awake. I'm 66 and a runner and competitive tennis singles player, fairly slim. Walked three miles this morning with no pain. Going to go fly fishing this afternoon. Small fish on light tackle as opposed to big bass on heavy tackle, that will have to wait a few weeks. Like me you may have a collagen deficiency, genetic, and unfixable. It makes me hernia prone and likely to need future repeat repairs, especially with my active strenuous sports. To date 5 hernia repairs, one being a repeat repair.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OP-- glad you are recovering.

since being in a medical facility, now both you and DW with fatigue/sneezing--I would consider home Covid testing.

Best wishes for a continuing good recovery.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck to you OP -

Mid 30s here with a small umbilical hernia. I'm in fairly decent shape (BMI of 23.7, longtime runner) and my PCP told me that my goal should be to "take it to the grave" ie avoid surgery as long as possible. Told me that hernia surgeries are a cash cow for surgeons and that they'll push an unnecessary repair one me. Didn't seem at all concerned about me running marathons with it.

Really worried it's going to blow and will require surgery... these things always seem to happen at the absolute most inconvenient times.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
Mid 30s here with a small umbilical hernia. I'm in fairly decent shape (BMI of 23.7, longtime runner) and my PCP told me that my goal should be to "take it to the grave" ie avoid surgery as long as possible. Told me that hernia surgeries are a cash cow for surgeons and that they'll push an unnecessary repair one me. Didn't seem at all concerned about me running marathons with it.

Really worried it's going to blow and will require surgery... these things always seem to happen at the absolute most inconvenient times.
One of our kids in his 30s was diagnosed with a small umbilical hernia. After a while, he decided to have it fixed for the same reason you are concerned about. Was better to schedule a fix, rather than wait for problems that would be worse and who knows where/when it could happen. The surgery turned out to be quicker and easier than anticipated. Re-cooperation was mainly not lifting anything over, I think it was, 20 lbs for a couple/few weeks. He was glad he went ahead and did it. Did not have to think about it anymore with travels.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:39 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
One of our kids in his 30s was diagnosed with a small umbilical hernia. After a while, he decided to have it fixed for the same reason you are concerned about. Was better to schedule a fix, rather than wait for problems that would be worse and who knows where/when it could happen. The surgery turned out to be quicker and easier than anticipated. Re-cooperation was mainly not lifting anything over, I think it was, 20 lbs for a couple/few weeks. He was glad he went ahead and did it. Did not have to think about it anymore with travels.
Curious how much this costs? My PCP told me its an elective surgery and she could refer me to someone if I wanted, but didn't seem to be overly concerned about it.
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
Curious how much this costs? My PCP told me its an elective surgery and she could refer me to someone if I wanted, but didn't seem to be overly concerned about it.
Sorry, I don't know. It was a few years ago, and in a lower health care cost area than I live in. He went with one of the many hospitals to choose from that his company insurance had as in-network.
I DO KNOW that his small umbilical hernia surgery was a piece of cake compared to my open-cut-method inguinal hernia repair! If I would have gone with Lapro instead, it might have been a lot easier recovery for me. But in the right hands, open-cut has less call-backs than Lapro, at least at that time I had it done.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #8

Quote:

Elective can sometimes mean that it can be done anytime, not necessarily that insurance doesn’t cover it. Is it possible that’s what she meant?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 07:58 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When I was doing some research on this, I was seeing estimates of $3-6k which means I'd still be on the hook for most, if not all, of my $4k deductible even if it's 'covered'. According to my PCP, people in less-fortunate countries often live with umbilical hernias for life without any major issues. Losing weight, eating small meals, and avoiding abdominal bloat (e.g. carbonated beverages) can go a very long way in keep the problem small. And according to my PCP the surgery isn't totally risk free, could be a hard recovery for some, and likely involves putting a mesh inside you for life. He suggested looking into something called the "shouldice method" for hernia repairs which used to be the gold standard before the mesh started being used.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote